Cast Iron Cooking

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I love the Lodge brand too. Bought it for the wife and kids. They never understood how to use it. They cook with a ton of oil even in teflon pans. When done they scrub the teflon with steel wool pads. I gave up. All the cast iron went into the garbage. Some things do not change so I adjust my attitude and move on.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
of course you know that you bought those for me. i will keep you stocked up on roti. one good turn deserves another.

Since I don't know what roti are, I can't make that deal :)

Today I bought a beautiful Cuisinart 15" Paella Pan for $1 at a yard sale. Already washed and in the box for DR.

So much good stuff out there, so little time......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Since I don't know what roti are, I can't make that deal :)

Today I bought a beautiful Cuisinart 15" Paella Pan for $1 at a yard sale. So much good stuff out there, so little time......

sounds like you don?t trust me. i can assure you that it will be one of the finest things you have ever eaten.

it would be nice if you would keep some information quiet, such as buying a paella pan for a dollar. i could use a nice whistling tea kettle, however. 50 cents should do it.....lol

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
It was a few months ago, but 'I think' I seen cast iron frying pans in a store, on Calle 27 de Febrero in Puerto Plata.

I don't recall the name of the store, but it was a big white building, with a fair number of steps leading up to it.

It is on the same side as the Scotia Bank on that street, but much further up...

It wasn't a 'Dollar Store', but something similar.

Somewhere down this stretch:
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/19.7...05,-70.6863924,17.25z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

Maybe worth checking out if you're in the area...

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I love the Lodge brand too. Bought it for the wife and kids. They never understood how to use it. They cook with a ton of oil even in teflon pans. When done they scrub the teflon with steel wool pads. I gave up. All the cast iron went into the garbage. Some things do not change so I adjust my attitude and move on.

I have spent a small fortune on teflon pans only to have dominicans scrub with steel wool, or use metal knives and forks with them.
Bad enough they are clueless but they look at you like you are NUTS for saying no metal utensils. They look at me like I am the crazy gringo.

I even have a buddy that is a "chef". Brought down some decent teflon stuff. Not top of line as within two months one of my wife's family will scrub with steel wool.
The "chef" told my wife "these are very low quality, after a few uses they are hard to clean'. . . . .lol

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I wonder if the constant oil coating required attracts insects?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Casa Cuesta in Santiago had a full display of Lodge Cast Iron cooking.. I had ordered mine years before and it's still good as new but thought it was cool seeing it here. The prices actually weren't that bad considering the weight.. a 10lb skillet that costs 30$ on Amazon was only like 2500 pesos.

Just got me a Lodge skillet there! Made some eggs for dinner. Excited to try it out tomorrow.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I had a nice big cast iron frying pan ,My "Dom." wife threw it out , she said she couldn't get it clean ,said it was muy feo.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
hasn't been a problem for me but I know people who wrap in plastic bags....

Remember, Brat Peter suggests lard....

For the record, I keep EVERYTHING in the kitchen inside plastic boxes with covers. In the early days here, I opened the silverware drawer to see spiders or little lizards scurrying away one too many times.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For the record, I keep EVERYTHING in the kitchen inside plastic boxes with covers. In the early days here, I opened the silverware drawer to see spiders or little lizards scurrying away one too many times.

That only works if you're the only one who uses the kitchen. I tried that. Bought this nifty silverware organizer/tray that had a clear cover, for the same reason. Yeah, that lasted about a day.

I do have loads of plastic containers there, and every size of ziplock bag known to man [those are stored with stuff in the freezer or fridge].

Because of this thread, there are three cast iron fry pans packed in boxes for DR. Mr. AE shares many posters opinion that they are 'the best'. I reserve comment for now. Damned things weigh a ton. If the maid doesn't like them any more than I do, I'm sure they'll find a happy home somewhere in DR :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Cast Iron, can't beat it. Only problem it takes a certain amount of care. I scrub the pan with kosher salt and a little detergent. Dry the pan, put in on the stove burner for a few minutes to completely dry it. Rub it with some cooking oil and put it away for next time use.

My other set of pans I love are Cusinart All Clad.................

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Cast Iron, can't beat it. Only problem it takes a certain amount of care. I scrub the pan with kosher salt and a little detergent. Dry the pan, put in on the stove burner for a few minutes to completely dry it. Rub it with some cooking oil and put it away for next time use.

My other set of pans I love are Cusinart All Clad.................

the joy of cast iron is that it heats evenly. once it gets up to temperature, everything is subject to the same amount of temperature, unlike aluminum crap, where the part over the burner is hot, and the sides are cool. try making a stew in a Le Crueset Dutch oven, then try again with some crap from La Sirena, and you will see the difference.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I just grilled some Chicken on it. Just with coconut oil and some salt. Best, juiciest chicken I've had here!

Next, I want the big deep pan for some deep dish pizza.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I used the griddle side of the grill, sprayed on some coconut oil when it was cool. Turned on the stove to med-high, and just when it started to smoke I put on the chicken. I sprinkled on a little sea salt, and let them cook for just a couple min until they had good golden brown grill marks, and the edges got a little brown. Flipped the chicken, turned of the heat, and took them off about 5 min later.