Census - Who are DR1's Participants?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm an A, my husband a C. We own a home in DR where we spend winters. We get frustrated while we are there, but it doesn't stop us from returning. We keep waiting for things to get better - I've seen a lot of changes since the 70s. Bear in mind my husband was a boy under Trujillo [he was 12 when Trujillo died], so his views are different than mine as to the state of his country.

We're not as jaded as some of the DR1ers who have lived in DR for a long time, returning to NJ keeps us sane.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"A" with the exception that I do not expect things to change much in my lifetime. Neither I nor the others on this forum are the tail that will wag this dog. The ingrained issues are far too deep. Live with the issues and work around them. My wife is a C.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I am E. I live in boston, MAss! I read the side to know the other side of the island better!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
A...negative comments seem to be more common because those who are satisfied with status quo are less likely to comment.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A.
First visited in 1996 for work.

Met Dominican husband through work, moved here permanently in 1999.

Went through the classic phases of culture shock - (a) starry-eyed, (b) rejection, (c) acceptance.

Nine years in Santo Domingo followed by six in Punta Cana.

Due to the deterioration in quality of life in the capital (traffic, crime, pollution) we made the move to Punta Cana (which is an idyllic little bubble and nothing like the "real" DR) as the only way we could go on living in the country.

I am open to the possibility of returning to my home country at some point in the future, but for the time-being we are happy enough here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rational one, i suppose. it's not easy to leave DR. we do not have enough to start a new life abroad. and the longer we wait the more difficult and unrealistic it is.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
D. I don't like the DR too much (where's that bottle of vodka dv8), but my wife likes the Netherlands maybe less. However if necessary we would go back and she'll be ready to suffer (again) as I do now. On the other hand, I don't like the Netherlands too much either.

I do appreciate some thing of DR: the way I can work here, church (ok, forget about the vodka), friends (less work / career oriented), but I do dislike chaos, ignorance, egoism (or is it ignorance).

I don't care where they bury my dead body.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
C..both my parents and I were born in D.R I was brought to the estados fundillos at very young age by my father who brought both my mother and I....I think we all here share the same dislikes about the D.R and just want to see it prosper

May 29, 2006
Definitely D. One time ex-pat wannabee who only lasted about six months. Been coming to the DR as a tourist since 1993. It's been eight years since I've been to the DR, but I like to keep tabs of what's going on. I'm coming back this fall on some shorter trips and hope to settle there in a couple years on a modest pension. I don't need the fancy ex-pat lifestyle and would be more than happy to live a middle class Dominican lifestyle, preferably in a smaller city, under 10,000 people some other ex-pats and not so much tourism. I've given up on Sosua/Cabarete for now. Cabrera or Gaspar Hernandez may work better for me, or a small city with a college in it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Definitely D. One time ex-pat wannabee who only lasted about six months. Been coming to the DR as a tourist since 1993. It's been eight years since I've been to the DR, but I like to keep tabs of what's going on. I'm coming back this fall on some shorter trips and hope to settle there in a couple years on a modest pension. I don't need the fancy ex-pat lifestyle and would be more than happy to live a middle class Dominican lifestyle, preferably in a smaller city, under 10,000 people some other ex-pats and not so much tourism. I've given up on Sosua/Cabarete for now. Cabrera or Gaspar Hernandez may work better for me, or a small city with a college in it.
There is a hotel school in Buena Vista/Jarabacoa. They have a cooking/hotel food service management program. We know those folks well and would be happy to make an introduction.

Bienvenidos a Serrania - Escuela Tecnica Hotelera

(Full disclosure: We also built their website.)

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Sometimes A or B or D. Depends on crap going on.

The real Question I would have is: where on the poll is: CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC?

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
D. Love the DR. Get back to the North Coast area at least twice a year with the family. Just returned from a trip on Saturday. I got to see firsthand many of the changes I've been reading about in the Sosua area. I welcome change and wish the country well, but I fear it is set up to fail.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I'm just the fortunate son of a very wealthy family estate, 40 mil plus.. And I have been "drinking up Drink like a sponge"..
I am here for the "parachute Women"... and the Beggars Banquet..

[video=youtube_share;4Fp1M0dpC7w]http://youtu.be/4Fp1M0dpC7w[/video]

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Well, I'm from the Southwest U.S., and have been traveling to the island for fun and work since 2001.

My time in-country has ranged from a long weekend to several weeks (usually with work involved). I've traveled to just about every part of the country except the deserts in their southwest.

I think the country is far from ideal, but I feel that way about most other countries, as well.

The truth is, there are few if any places in the caribbean that offer the same value. I've done just about all of the usual islands, and the DR remains a downright bargain. If you disagree, visit Grand Cayman, Nassau, Hamilton, or Aruba, and be prepared for sticker shock.

Yes, the poverty and corruption is rampant, but please show me a third world country with comparable offerings as DR where that's not the case. It's no accident there isn't a Haiti1, Guatemala1, ElSalvador1, or Honduras1.

For the caribbean, it's an amazing place, full of life, great countryside, fun culture, and yes, exceedingly attractive women. It's a country I can take (and have taken) family and friends to, or just explore alone.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Living here for almost 3 years now and loving it, even with it's day to day flaws and wonders....

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
D. I visit for several months every year and now own property on the north coast. I am back in Canada and miss the DR. When I am in DR too long I miss Canada. I thoroughly enjoy both worlds and have many friends both north and south. The negatives on this site do not bother me and are sometimes useful. I take my own counsel based on observation, experience and the experiences of others. I am cautiously hopeful going forward and wish the residents of this beautiful country well.

Hi Matt...I have friends that are coming down asap (next week until Oct 15th) and are looking for a place. Do you ever rent yours out..or just lock it up for the summer.

BTW...I am an "A" also

Cheers