Census - Who are DR1's Participants?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
D.
Many visits during a 5-year period awaiting the soon-to-be ex-wifes' visa. Now that she has her green card, and I'm shed of her, probably have no reason to return. I had contemplated moving there, and living campo-style when I retire, But I'm finding that as i grow older, My bulls#it meter tends to peg at a much lower threshhold

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
weres everyone from here in the D.R,I stay about 5-10 min away from sti airport in licey al medio,santiago

May 29, 2006
Surprised there is no E. Retired couple came to stay in Sosua for a weekend last February and "fell in love with the country" ~opening beach bar they got for "just" $40,000(because it will be *fun*) and want to live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle. Sold house in Vancouver a month ago and just made the Big Move.

See also, F~ couple came to DR six months ago and now getting a divorce. Husband fathered a kid with a 16 yo local girl(former bartender). Beach bar for sale for *only* $40,000.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Same couple? (lol..)
Just goes to show that "falling in love with the country" can mean different things to different people.
Like I said a little earlier....
Ain't love grand. :)

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
D...a visitor with my family over the years, sometimes at AI's, sometimes the big city. I had never heard of DR1 until the last visit. Horizontal in a shaded poolside cabana, drinking a layered red, white and blue concoction the bartender called a Sammy Sosa, I saw DR1 mentioned in an author's footnote in the Brief Life of Whisker Wow.

For someone planning to spend more time in the Dominican (that's what Robinson Cano called it during a spring training interview) the site is addicting (or maybe I'm just compulsive).

May 29, 2006
I can think of one married bar owner in Sosua that supposedly had a child with a 15yo Haitian girl about 8 years ago. He was well into his 40s.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I should correct myself. I realize that those who criticize aren't necessarily expats. Some are just visitors, some are dominicans who want nothing to do with the country (i've met a couple), and some are just instigators. I've been incorrectly using "expats" and "foreign visitor" in an interchangeable manner.

Back to the poll. I should add that i originally lived in the Bronx now Brooklyn.

nobody leaves the Bronx and goes to Brooklyn. that level of treason does not exist.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
nexx we are just messing with you.

NOT................... jejejejeje

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
nexx we are just messing with you.

NOT................... jejejejeje

Ha. That's certainly how I felt when I first moved to Brooklyn. Most of my friends lived in Brooklyn and moving here made barhopping a hell of a lot easier. But of course, why do drastic moves ever occur? A lady.

Now I'm just happy I got in before these ridiculous rent hikes took off.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I can tell you if you were my wife, I would do everything I could to make you happy and understand why you love me so much.

shame i'm taken then ;) seriously, thou, at this point in time a move is not possible.

Jul 28, 2008
D ... I've been visiting the DR several times per year since 2004. I am completely in love with the place, despite the poverty and their inability to keep the lights on. I have been looking for a place to buy to use as a second home ... with one requirement ... and ocean view!

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
There are actually fans of the Mets?

They won some hearts and minds with Citifield. At least thats what they tell me.

IMO, better stadium and better food. They have a shake shack and it doesn't have the "venue price hike." Mets are for the working class. I see the appeal. I still wear my yankees cap but if they could just finish over 500.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
D. A visitor now avoiding Canadian winters. Six months in and six out. Very hopeful for DR. Sometimes the negatives get to me but everyone has different experiences and expectations. I have no desire to go anywhere else. I like it here.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
C: I don't live in the DR or visit if I can help it. Because i have fthe majority of my family there, i visit every once in a while. I get a kick from the expats that choose to wallow in the mist of the crime, corruption, and lack of basic ammenities. The DR is indeed a paradise that is controlled by the greedy haves and neglected by the have nots. A two week visit can be very pleasing for anyone, but those that want to reside there have to adapt to a totally different way of life.