Chikungunya Virus - Dominican republic under alert

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
skynet. please read on dengue fever before you suggest unnecessary antibiotics. dengue is NOT an infection. taking antibiotics will not help. people are not parrots.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i feel that this is all a cover up. there have been few articles about this in national newspapers, panicking about more cases of fever around the country. the focus is therefore shifting from dengue, and the fact it already claimed 11 lives this year.

who does not love to quote own posts, eh?
anyways, today's listin diario: http://www.listin.com.do/la-republica/2014/5/20/322714/Reportan-15-muertes-causadas-por-dengue
so yeah, while the focus of the press is on chikungunya people quietly die of dengue.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a little bit more on the spreading on chikungunya:
Dicen van 100 mil afectados por virus -

note this part: El Ministerio de Salud P?blica en el ?ltimo bolet?n epidemiol?gico inform? que en el pa?s se han detectado m?s de 38 mil casos de chikungunya, detectados en los brotes surgidos en 23 provincias. Se ha pronosticado que la chikungunya afectar? entre el 40 y el 50 por ciento de la poblaci?n, es decir entre cuatro a cinco millones de personas.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
At least it is not a dangerous virus. Uncomfortable but it doesn't kill you.

At least it is not a dangerous virus. Uncomfortable but it doesn't kill you.

It can kill some people that are old or have weak immune systems.

My wife has had this for the last 6 weeks and it is pretty bad, the Dr said probably another 6 weeks and she will feel better.
She is pretty good with pain and not a big crying type person but this has left her crippled at times and crying from the pain.

The odd thing is she feels better then the crippling pain in her hands and toes comes back. No fever for a few days or so then the fever comes back! Hardcore headache, insomnia, fever, and your bones feel like they are being contorted and a sexy rash on her chest are most of her symptoms.

2 different 4 day stays in CMC and we took a trip to Santiago on Monday bc of the Rash to Union Hospital. Going back on Monday to Santiago for more tests.

Like others say at least it isn't deadly in most cases!

Just thought I would post this bc we have been going through it.

DV8 is right antibiotics are not always the answer!!! This is not something you take them for, CMC prescribed her some bc they diagnosed her to have tonsillitis the first time we went which was odd bc her throat was the only part that didn't hurt. We knew it wasn't so she didn't take the antibiotics!!!

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not to worry, "the health authorities are concerned". Its Not that hard to avoid with long sleeved shirts, hats and mosquito repellant both in the daytime and night. With all the standing water and garbage lying around the DR is a mosquito Paradise. I have screens on every Window, otherwise I would sleep under a mosquito net.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chikungunya is not deadly but it sure can be a pain in the ass. a friend in san pedro has it and she is pretty much bed bound with a lot of bone/muscle pain. interestingly, the areas affected the most are old injuries sites (a broken bone and a damaged joint).

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I had it exactly two weeks ago, it lasted for 2 days, the joint pain comes back occasionally. My wife got hit much harder. I guess everybody reacts differently to the virus.

Sitting in the back of a motoconcho has definitely a higher mortality rate...

I had it exactly two weeks ago, it lasted for 2 days, the joint pain comes back occasionally. My wife got hit much harder. I guess everybody reacts differently to the virus.

Sitting in the back of a motoconcho has definitely a higher mortality rate...

Yes it is said that some people can have it and not really even know.
In my wife's case it is not just uncomfortable!

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Not to worry, "the health authorities are concerned". Its Not that hard to avoid with long sleeved shirts, hats and mosquito repellant both in the daytime and night. With all the standing water and garbage lying around the DR is a mosquito Paradise. I have screens on every Window, otherwise I would sleep under a mosquito net.

Please consider that there exists a type of moskitos, placing their eggs in c l e a r water. I,ve heard this several times, and now found an article:

Microscopy-UK Micscape Microscopy and Microscopes Magazine

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
It can kill some people that are old or have weak immune systems.

My wife has had this for the last 6 weeks and it is pretty bad, the Dr said probably another 6 weeks and she will feel better.
She is pretty good with pain and not a big crying type person but this has left her crippled at times and crying from the pain.

The odd thing is she feels better then the crippling pain in her hands and toes comes back. No fever for a few days or so then the fever comes back! Hardcore headache, insomnia, fever, and your bones feel like they are being contorted and a sexy rash on her chest are most of her symptoms.

2 different 4 day stays in CMC and we took a trip to Santiago on Monday bc of the Rash to Union Hospital. Going back on Monday to Santiago for more tests.

Like others say at least it isn't deadly in most cases!

Just thought I would post this bc we have been going through it.

DV8 is right antibiotics are not always the answer!!! This is not something you take them for, CMC prescribed her some bc they diagnosed her to have tonsillitis the first time we went which was odd bc her throat was the only part that didn't hurt. We knew it wasn't so she didn't take the antibiotics!!!

I get the feeling that your wife is affected with many things.... Are you sure it would'nt be better for her to go back to Canada ??? It's incredible all the stuff that happens to her...

I get the feeling that your wife is affected with many things.... Are you sure it would'nt be better for her to go back to Canada ??? It's incredible all the stuff that happens to her...

She has had bad luck here for sure! I am sure it will stop eventually...
She will never step foot in a cold climate again!

At least her back/neck doesn't hurt here, that is the reason we did move... jajaja!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i have a feeling it may be down to bad luck and maybe compromised immunity after the arrival here. in my first years in DR i was sick at least once every two months. i had salmonella, paratyphus, helicobacter, proteus and a bunch of other diseases. sometimes few of them at the same time. my immunity was at all times low. eventually i got used to dominican environment/climate :) maybe harley's gorgeous wife has a hard time adapting to this as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To ALL DR1er's who claimed to have been infected here in the DR., the ONLY way to tell if you actually have been, is to test your blood for the virus.
I KNOW that no one as actually done THAT!
There are MANY maladies here that cause similar symptoms, you probably had the "Gripe", NOT , "Chimichanga"!!!!
It does not kill you, but I understand in SOME cases,it make you wish it would!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
To ALL DR1er's who claimed to have been infected here in the DR., the ONLY way to tell if you actually have been, is to test your blood for the virus.
I KNOW that no one as actually done THAT!
There are MANY maladies here that cause similar symptoms, you probably had the "Gripe", NOT , "Chimichanga"!!!!
It does not kill you, but I understand in SOME cases,it make you wish it would!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I did do an antibody test (I think that is the correct translation) and it turned out to be Chikungunya. Another person with the same symptoms tested positiv for Leptospirosis. That is when I was convinced that they really tested the blood... The test took a couple of days.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
i have a feeling it may be down to bad luck and maybe compromised immunity after the arrival here. in my first years in DR i was sick at least once every two months. i had salmonella, paratyphus, helicobacter, proteus and a bunch of other diseases. sometimes few of them at the same time. my immunity was at all times low. eventually i got used to dominican environment/climate :) maybe harley's gorgeous wife has a hard time adapting to this as well.

On the contrary, for myself it's been the opposite... Never felt better since I live here... In Qu?bec I had been diagnosted with Fibromyalgia and was taking a lot of pills a day... Lyrica, Paxil, Seroquel... and more... Was barely active because of the pain..

My first six months here, I started to experience less and less pain so I decided to cut down on the pills and see what would happen... Nothing happened so I continued to cut down up to a point of not taking any pills for the Fibromyalgia... I can live with little pain I have... Also my migraines are gone.... The only pain left is my lower back but it's due to a scoliosis so nothing I can do about that...

I'll be forever gratefull to this climate for putting me back together and making me feel much younger that I had in 10 years...
Love this sh*tty country to death....

On the contrary, for myself it's been the opposite... Never felt better since I live here... In Qu?bec I had been diagnosted with Fibromyalgia and was taking a lot of pills a day... Lyrica, Paxil, Seroquel... and more... Was barely active because of the pain..

My first six months here, I started to experience less and less pain so I decided to cut down on the pills and see what would happen... Nothing happened so I continued to cut down up to a point of not taking any pills for the Fibromyalgia... I can live with little pain I have... Also my migraines are gone.... The only pain left is my lower back but it's due to a scoliosis so nothing I can do about that...

I'll be forever gratefull to this climate for putting me back together and making me feel much younger that I had in 10 years...
Love this sh*tty country to death....

That is really great for you, I know many people that have Fibromyalgia and it is horrible what people go through. I would not wish that on anyone!! Especially bc many people don't understand it and think it is a "fake" illness.

The wife's only illness here has been the chik thing, otherwise it's been a torn ligament in her foot that took forever to heal, breast cancer scare which was benign and a dog bite. oh she had an allergic reaction to some medicine as well. She loves it here bc like you she can have a life again as in Canada she couldn't function bc of her chronic pain.

I have never hurt myself so much in my life compared to a year here and I was sober every time! A ladder collapsed and fractured my shoulder, tore a ligament in my finger another time, hammered my thumb nail off, got a black eye and concussion from something falling off my top shelf and the good old dog bite. I know I am forgetting other things but it was really comical to a point. For me I think it is the heat, I just don't function as well but thankfully I am getting more used to it :)

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
Wife had chikungunya. Been married to her 30 yrs, and never did I see her in so much pain. Bed-ridden of course. No choice there. When it's the worst, many people with chikungunya cannot even walk (to the bathroom). Legs are wobbly for a while after it subsides. Def a nasty disease.

We have a public bathroom on one side of the house with a working toilet. Great place for mosquitos to breed, I suppose.