Chikungunya Virus - Dominican republic under alert

Aug 6, 2006
We have a public bathroom on one side of the house with a working toilet. Great place for mosquitoes to breed, I suppose.

Perhaps a dollop of Diesel and/or Clorox would make is a less great place for mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes deserve to die, their pupae deserve to be aborted. The world is better off without mosquitoes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
great job, AE.

i am surprised i never had dengue nor this new stuff. the number of mosquitoes in our house is mind blowing. i think we gotta invest in screens...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Perhaps a dollop of Diesel and/or Clorox would make is a less great place for mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes deserve to die, their pupae deserve to be aborted. The world is better off without mosquitoes.

this is the same type of mosquito as the one spreading dengue. they actually do not breed in the water as such but above the water level. with a public bathroom you are talking lots of wet areas: toilets, sinks, floor, any cracks and crevices. and constantly running water. without frequent cleaning it is impossible to control.

Aug 6, 2006
They lay their eggs, which float on the surface and hatch, with a small siphon-like organ that allows them to breathe. Oil suffocates them. Clorox kills them. I agree that frequent cleaning is useful.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really do not know what can work, XO. our cistern has a cloro pill in, the toilets have them blue pills in the tank, we clean thoroughly and the mosquitoes are killing me :(

May 5, 2007
i really do not know what can work, XO. our cistern has a cloro pill in, the toilets have them blue pills in the tank, we clean thoroughly and the mosquitoes are killing me :(

skin so soft cream has by far been most effective I have ever used unless you get something with very high DEET %

Does DR have Dragon Flies?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
skin so soft cream has by far been most effective I have ever used unless you get something with very high DEET %

Does DR have Dragon Flies?

Yes to the dragonflies, we have tons of them around our house.

I also use SSS - I dilute it with water and put it in a small spray bottle, and spritz it on my arms and legs. It helps.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do you mean regular body lotion from avon? because amazon also lists SSS bug repellent spray/tissues/lotion.

Aug 6, 2006
The mosquitoes that are bothering you are not necessarily breeding in your house. They are flying around,,and when the sense CO2 they look for something to bite. Mammals secrete CO2 from their pores.

It is possible to mix DEET with any lotion you like.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
do you mean regular body lotion from avon? because amazon also lists SSS bug repellent spray/tissues/lotion.

I don't use the body lotion, I use the SSS bath oil. I dilute it with equal parts water [most people use more water]. It's great for your skin too. I've also used their SSS insect repellent [in fact that's the bottle I refill], not much different and more expensive. This trip I tried the wipes, so-so.

dv8, SSS bath oil is also great for your dogs, add a capful into their bath water, extra added help for fleas & ticks, and good for their coat.

May 29, 2006
One thing I've wondered is if the Chinese and other bug spray you can get in the DR has DDT in it... If you spray your walls with it, it will work for many years. They say the reason bed bugs are making a comeback in the US is it's only now that the DDT they sprayed in the 60s has finally stopped working..

May 5, 2007
Yes to the dragonflies, we have tons of them around our house.

I also use SSS - I dilute it with water and put it in a small spray bottle, and spritz it on my arms and legs. It helps.

Stop feeding the Dragon flies and they will eat the mosquitoes :hurt:

Seriously, Town of Wells Maine has developed quite an industry selling Dragon Fly nymphs for mosquito control

They used to intimidate me (Dragons) until I realized they have no interest in humans and eat an incredible amount of skeetrs Sometime sit and watch them, they make maneuvers made by any man made aircraft look lame, 180o turns, instant stops etc catching mosquitoes in flight

Last edited:
May 5, 2007

I think Avon has decided to add to their product line as so many people used the regular body lotion with great success

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't use the body lotion, I use the SSS bath oil. I dilute it with equal parts water [most people use more water]. It's great for your skin too. I've also used their SSS insect repellent [in fact that's the bottle I refill], not much different and more expensive.

ok, now i shall pick your brain for some advice:
Amazon.com : Avon SKIN SO SOFT Original Bath Oil - 24 fl. oz. : Beauty
Amazon.com : Avon Skin so Soft, Soft & Sensual Bath Oil, 16.9 Oz : Bath And Shower Product Sets : Beauty
Amazon.com : Avon Skin so Soft Bath Oil, 16.9 Oz : Beauty
http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Skin-Sof...3024249&sr=1-7&keywords=skin+so+soft+bath+oil

which one of those? should i buy and ship or does the store in santiago carry it?