Chikungunya Virus - Dominican republic under alert

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Good thing mosquitoes do not like the cold weather! Say goodbye to CHIKV in the eastern US.;)

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
MA, you are correct, since Ebola is hot news Chinky is on the back page.
I just talked to Tia who told me that the entire Barrio is recovering from Chinky. Kids, parents, grandparents and so on. The only one not affected was great grandpa (105 years old). Fortunatley I left 5-6 bottles of Ibruprofen behind.
But here's the strange part, she swears that this is a result of an ecological disaster in Haina! I've heard that before but not our entire Barrio believing this nonsense.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I recently read that Jamaica has declared the virus a national emergency and that government is engaged in a program to reduce the spread and educate its public. Has the DR government done anything like that?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have yet to hear of a case of someone getting this twice. There may have been a few on the way to recovery that had a relapse, but not two distinct infections separated by time.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Rats! I got the Chik virus!
I suffer from osteoarthritis so I can normally predict a change in weather better than the meteorologist.
However it hit me yesterday. Could not hold anything in my hands, shoulder ache, deep pain in legs up to hips incl the knees... and I have prosthesis! Major, major chills. Fever at 101F. Started on 2 Ibuprofen every 4 hrs. Fever broke within 8 hrs but then the sweats started. Soaked the sheets and I am way past menopause.
Sent my Dominicano for natural juice, preferably cherry which is good for arthritis. He came back with carrot juice. I was a bit ****ed off but looked up benefits of carrots juice. They include benefits for the eyes. Great, I need that too!
I read back part of the thread to remind me of some details and I freaked out when I saw the possible eye problems.
So whether or not carrot juice is good for conjunctivis or any other possible eye problem I will drink the gallon of carrot juice faithfully. I am panicking because I have had a retina detachment at the end of June followed by vitrectomy in July. I now have a blind spot in that eye and need cataract surgery - the cataract was brought about by the gas they put in the eye after the vitrectomy. All of this to say, if I think carrot juice works... therefore it will, right?
Is there anything that can be done to prevent eye related problems due to the ChickV? I will wash my hands evey chance I get, and will not rub my eyes. Anything else?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
3 days agonising pain in joints(unable to walk or open anything), 3 days unable to eat and feeling sick,widespread rash, 3 days on the toilet.......minor aching symptoms return every so often for the past few days, right foot, left arm, right side of neck

younger people I know have got over it in three days, older people I know have had it for 3 months

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
Here it is November. I became ill with what I believe was the chickungunya virus March 22. I have a number of chronic conditions - COPD, IBS, & osteoarthritis. Except for the first few days when I had some really amazing dreams due to fever it's been hell. The stabbing pain in the joints has subsided to my normal arthritic pains. What hasn't settled is my bowel. After numerous tests, still waiting for colonoscopy, the only diagnosis has been mitochondrial colitis. I don't mind the 20 lbs. I've lost but am really looking forward to the fresh food we have where I stay in Cabarete.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I'm mid in my mid 60's. The "stuck in bed" portion of the illness was over with in around four days but the last of the annoying little symptoms took about two months to disappear. Hoping they're gone for good.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At about 4 or 5 months, I still have occasional joint, and nerve pains.
I'll be "68" on 5 December, so it's difficult to tell if it's "AGE",....or "Chingy"??????????
Doesn't really make any difference anyway!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Most of the pains are gone but my feet seem to still be swollen and sometimes i get shooting leg pains. This after about the 4 or 5 months like CCCCC.

I went to a series of docs about the nausea and vomiting and got a diagnosis of benign paroxmysal positional vertigo.. which is caused by some little crystals which are supposed to be in one place in the ear and get into another. Anyway, nothing to do with the Chicky, Going to get some head manoevers for the vertigo but already learned not to move too quickly.,

I do think that the chiky just generally makes you weaker and feel older.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My "ChickV journey" took about two months and a half to fully recover. I'm glad you can't get this ****ing **** again! My friend(also in her 30's) had it months ago and is still suffering.

I'm not sure about the age thing anymore cause mom (60's) had it and she did better than us. She didn't even get the rash.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dengue and malaria show a decrease

The latest epidemic bulletin just released states that epidemics in the Dominican Republic are under control compared to the last five years. The authorities' main concern at the moment is to prevent the entrance of the Ebola virus.

Dengue fever currently has the highest mortality rate in the country, although it is not considered to be an epidemic, with the last bulletin showing 57 deaths so far this year. There were 88 deaths from dengue over the same time period last year. There have been 4,892 cases of dengue so far this year, compared to last year when 13,131 cases had been registered by the same date.

The latest bulletin does not contain any figures on the chikungunya virus, on the grounds that it is no longer a concern due to the low numbers now being reported.

The illnesses that are still affecting the country are dengue, malaria, leptospirosis, cholera and rabies. Malaria has also shown a sharp drop, of 44% over the same period last year.

Enfermedades epid?micas bajo control en RD, pero dengue tiene alta mortalidad

From dr1news 11 November 2014
DR1 - Daily News Tuesday, 11 November 2014

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Most of the pains are gone but my feet seem to still be swollen and sometimes i get shooting leg pains. This after about the 4 or 5 months like CCCCC.

I went to a series of docs about the nausea and vomiting and got a diagnosis of benign paroxmysal positional vertigo.. which is caused by some little crystals which are supposed to be in one place in the ear and get into another. Anyway, nothing to do with the Chicky, Going to get some head manoevers for the vertigo but already learned not to move too quickly.,

I do think that the chiky just generally makes you weaker and feel older.

It is still in my ankles, feet and toes. This is 2 1/2 months in. I do feel tired sometimes but that could just be the fact I am sooo lazy.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Sorry to say that I am 73 and have broken many bones in my body ,have fought cancer for almost 7 years and have had numerous other operations but this chikungunya has cused me more problems than all the others put together. The reason is that as soon as the immune system is a bit down ,maybe after tennis,golf or a long walk ,the virus comes back with almost extra strength. I have had it in my hips , my back, my neck and just above the knees and also in the ankles. A problem is that I am never 100% sure if it is arthritis or a torn tendon or the virus So after six months I am still a victim and have never used my kindle more