children having babies??

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Robert said:
RD$750 = US$26

The going rate for an abortion is around RD$15,000 (US$500).
This could well be a "gringo rate" as I'm sure in some clinics they do them for less and obviously depends on what stage the girl is at.

The contraceptive injections (DMPA) are around RD$3-5,000 (lasts 3 months)
These are becoming more common.
Amazing the kind of stuff I learn here. :nervous:

BTW, it is SOP to expell any pregnant girl in school, even in public schools. They may continue in adult schools after that, which function at night.

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
thanks Pib, for your responses... and I keep comming with questions! When these girls give birth, how much does the delivery cost? and how often do the newborn babies see the peditricians for check-ups?(remember to give me the$RD- to $US). I dont undestand how they can afford this if they cant afford birth control.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
The culture here is that the young girls mother gets to take care of her children,until her children have children,then it is her turn,and the cycle repeats it'self.My wife is now 28,and her mother is still taking care of our children,for the most part.My wife remains immature and carefree.Her time is coming,and I see her not wanting it to arrive!
It is not often I agree with CC, but in this instance I do (if I understand him correctly). It seems that the mothers encourage their children to have children (regardless of age, marital situation, or ability to financially support the offspring). It's understood that the grandmother will take care of the grandkids allowing the mother to "remain immature and carefree".

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
Age of consent

Don Tomas said:
Again as someone very familar with this country has already stated it is mostly 99% of the time Dominicanos getting Dominicanas pregnant, not foreigners. So your whole 1984 airplane questionnaire is pointless. Also since it was mostly Dominicans with each other, again the comment "child prositution" is pointless too since most likely no money was exchanged.

Remember the US doesn't set the laws for the rest of the world, if that was the case the age of consent in Canada would not be 14.

The Dominican culture considers a person to be an adult at the age of 15, according to the news story "In January there were 19 babies born to girls under the age of fifteen." Yes 19 is to many but not enough to get up on a high horse and ask for 1984 conditions.

Whoever told you that the age of consent in Canada was 14 yrs. old???
The legal age of consent is 18 yrs old. More than one person has been charged and convicted with statuatory rape for having carnal knowledge of a person under the age of 18 with or without the consent of the "child". Parents can file charges on the behalf of the children even though said child gave their permission for the act(s).

Elizabeth

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
rellosk said:
It is not often I agree with CC, but in this instance I do (if I understand him correctly). It seems that the mothers encourage their children to have children (regardless of age, marital situation, or ability to financially support the offspring). It's understood that the grandmother will take care of the grandkids allowing the mother to "remain immature and carefree".
"Encourage" is not the word. They either begrudgingly accept it or put her out on the streets. Two very unfortunate attitudes that do nothing for the girl.

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
Pib said:
"Encourage" is not the word. They either begrudgingly accept it or put her out on the streets. Two very unfortunate attitudes that do nothing for the girl.

Unfortunatley even though we may not like to admit it a much similar situation exists in our North American countries as well. Although we may not have the same system of '"'mother", "grandmother" etc. looking after the children born in this situation, we have put a system of adoption or social assistance in its' place. We still have many "children" giving birth to children even with the schools supplying sex education classes to our youth. It seems the same mentality regarding prevention persists among a certain percentage of the young today regardless of country. Who knows what the answer to this problems is?? Free education on the subject still hasn't eradicated the problem, it may be the old adage of "you can lead a horse to water....." Whatever the answer we certainly can't point a finger until we clean up our own backyards.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
windrifter said:
The legal age of consent is 18 yrs old. More than one person has been charged and convicted with statuatory rape for having carnal knowledge of a person under the age of 18 with or without the consent of the "child". Parents can file charges on the behalf of the children even though said child gave their permission for the act(s).

Elizabeth

The age of consent in Canada is 14 unless it changed recently.

Sexual interference
151. Every person who, for a sexual purpose, touches, directly or indirectly, with a part of the body or with an object, any part of the body of a person under the age of fourteen years is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 151; R.S., 1985, c. 19 (3rd Supp.), s. 1.

Source
And...

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
age of consent...law not culture

windrifter said:

Elizabeth
http://www.avert.org

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
windrifter said:
Unfortunatley even though we may not like to admit it a much similar situation exists in our North American countries as well. Although we may not have the same system of '"'mother", "grandmother" etc. looking after the children born in this situation, we have put a system of adoption or social assistance in its' place. We still have many "children" giving birth to children even with the schools supplying sex education classes to our youth.
That may be true but I think in terms of percentages (of the socio-economic group) the situation amongst the poor in the Dominican Republic dwarfs those in North America. I think education has made the difference.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
rellosk said:
That may be true but I think in terms of percentages (of the socio-economic group) the situation amongst the poor in the Dominican Republic dwarfs those in North America. I think education has made the difference.
That is easily explained by the D.R. having a large percentage of its population leaving in poverty.

Mod's note:
BTW, please drop the argument over age of consent in Canada.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
My two pesos worth

The first reported case of SIDA in this country was in 1984. Since then the disease has continued to grow at a rate which should be unacceptable to everyone but it isn?t. Unlike in the USA public service announcements are almost non-existent and unlike the USA the school system both public and private are incorporated with the church. Because of the church?s role in the school system the possibility of sex education, as it should be taught, is not possible. Therefore to change the education within the school system you must have separation of church from state and that will never happen here. As far as the state taking an active role in educating through public service announcements and the media I don?t think that will happen either. All indications I have compiled through my years here are that the state enjoys the status quo in that the uneducated will never cause the powers-that-be any problems. Babies having babies only keeps the poor poorer and the middle class poorer as the coteries want it.

After reading this thread it was interesting to note that the Dominicans didn?t mention that the public hospitals here give free birth control pills to those that pay the $50 peso consultation fee. There is no limit on how long they can monthly refill this handout as long as they can pay the monthly consult fee. This program has been in place for many years. Was this not mentioned due to a lack of knowledge on the Dominicans part?

In all conversations that I have had with young Dominican males their answers have ALL been the same concerning why they don?t use condoms. (?It doesn?t feel the same?). As to the possibility of catching a disease. (?I only go to bed with clean girls?). As this is the mindset of the males then it is imperative that the females get educated about the pill and its availability. If this were done then it is possible that the number of babies having babies would drop but unfortunately it would probably raise the HIV rate. ;) ;) ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Pib said:
That is easily explained by the D.R. having a large percentage of its population leaving in poverty.[/I]
If you read my post carefully, you will see I said "percentages (of the socio-economic group)". I mentioned percentages, not numbers.

My point was that a lack of education regarding birth control (and the responsibility of raising a child) in the DR is what causes the high incidence of children having babies. In the DR the education is non-existent where North America it is constant.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Pib said:
That is easily explained by the D.R. having a large percentage of its population leaving in poverty.

Mod's note:
BTW, please drop the argument over age of consent in Canada.
That is true, but just look at the percentages of the poor in different age groups.

The vast majority of the poor in this country are children! The average age in that socio-economic group is the lowest in the country, barely out of the teens.

The further up the economic latter you move, the older the average age becomes and the less children are born per woman as well.

I'm not sure of the following, but it is quite possible (very visible) that the percentage of single mothers as a percentage of the socio-economic population is higher among poor than middle class. Certainly, it is higher than among the upper classes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"YES",WindDrifter,We CAN Point A Finger! For SEVERAL Reasons!

Not the least of which is that many of us actually live,work,raise families,and pay VERY HIGH TAXES to the Dominican Government for the priviledge!!!

Another reason,is that this web site is "DR1",not "North America 1",or "The Age Of Consent In Canada 1",or "Anything Else Not Related To The DR,1!"

When there is absolutely no Social Stigma associated with being an un-wed mother,as here in the DR,"why Not?"
From what I can see,the majority of the births in the DR are from unmarried girls.In fact it is common to refer to the father of your children as "Mi Marido" even though he is not.Most are just "Parejas Sin Papeles"
Just one more in the litany of Dominican Irresponsabilities!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Nalowls" is even blaming foreign tourists for the "Bastard" problem in the DR!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Criss Colon said:
When there is absolutely no Social Stigma associated with being an un-wed mother,as here in the DR,"why Not?"
CC, you contradict yourself, you said somewhere else that your wife was kicked out of school and her own home for having become pregnant. If that is not stigma I don't know what is, stoning her perhaps?

There is a social stigma, even in the lower classes, but guess what? 14 year olds are not very high on the "thinking of the consequenses" thing. There seems that the stigma is bigger in middle and high class. The approach to the problem seems to be also radically different.

I completely agree with you that blaming foreigners is just ludicrous.

Rick Snyder
After reading this thread it was interesting to note that the Dominicans didn?t mention that the public hospitals here give free birth control pills to those that pay the $50 peso consultation fee
I have not heard of any program where women are given contraceptive pills at lower cost except Profamilia (which doesn't mean they don't exist). A hospital with no alcohol could hardly affort giving away stuff. But as I said, I have never been on the pill and never tried to find out how much it costs. Maybe I should ask around.

Besides, we're talking teenagers here, what do you think would happen if a 14 year old shows up at a public hospital for a check up and free pills? Specially in smaller towns and barrios.

rellosk

If you read my post carefully, you will see I said "percentages (of the socio-economic group)". I mentioned percentages, not numbers.
Yes, you're right. Would it count if half of the population was under 18? (as was the case as per the last census that we have data from).

Last edited:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
What's this thread about anyway? The one thing that is a proven method of reducing teenage pregnancy is education. Not Sexual Education, but just good old fashioned regular education. Give the youth something else to keep them busy, interested, and hopeful about their future. If the Powers that be really cared about the future of this country, they would start investing a little more into the schools and programs for youth. How about a credible public school system instead of the shameful excuse that currently exists. :tired:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Disagreement

Quote by Pib;
But as I said, I have never been on the pill and never tried to find out how much it costs. Maybe I should ask around.

Besides, we're talking teenagers here, what do you think would happen if a 14 year old shows up at a public hospital for a check up and free pills? Specially in smaller towns and barrios.

The program does and has existed for some time so you should check it out then you will have some good information to pass around. If that 14 year old shows up at the hospital with her mother they will give her the pills and I know this as a fact. As I live here in El Seybo I can tell you that you can?t get a whole lot smaller then my little town and the pills are given away free here but I am not aware of any girls younger than 14 who have gotten them. I know of one girl 14, three that are 15 and 3 that are 16 and then get their refills every month like clockwork for free.

Quote by Naufrago;
The one thing that is a proven method of reducing teenage pregnancy is education. Not Sexual Education, but just good old fashioned regular education.

If this were a fact then the problem wouldn?t be as large as it is in the USA so your statement doesn?t hold water.

Quote by Naufrago;
If the Powers that be really cared about the future of this country, they would start investing a little more into the schools and programs for youth. How about a credible public school system instead of the shameful excuse that currently exists.

Because in reality, IMHO, they don?t want to educate the masses and this situation hasn?t changed since 1996 when I moved here. ;) ;) ;)