Codetel is P*ing me off!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am a Codetel Internet Flash user, and I haven't been experimenting ANY problems, for a very long time... Maybe the issues are located in the POP/Sosua/Cabarete area (???).

I am online most of the day, every day, so I notice when things are different...

I agree 100% with DunHill about using OpenDNS... I have done so for about a year and a half, and I am really satisfied.

I suspect that most of those complaining about slow internet speed might actually be using a virus/spyware/malware infected Windows PC, on a virus/spyware/malware infected Windows network...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am a Codetel Internet Flash user, and I haven't been experimenting ANY problems, for a very long time... Maybe the issues are located in the POP/Sosua/Cabarete area (???).

I am online most of the day, every day, so I notice when things are different...

I agree 100% with DunHill about using OpenDNS... I have done so for about a year and a half, and I am really satisfied.

I suspect that most of those complaining about slow internet speed might actually be using a virus/spyware/malware infected Windows PC, on a virus/spyware/malware infected Windows network...
Hey...
You're talking to the king of virus and spyware removers.
I may not know 1% of what there is to know about puters, nut I'm with Adrian and POP bad boy on this one.
I know exactly what he's talking about and we've been experiencing the identical problem for the same period of time.
I can guarantee you, as sure as I am sitting here, it's not a virus or spyware.
PS: One day, I'll tell you about some of the "impossible" to remove virus', that I have vanquished, without giving up like all the techies did, who re-formatted and re-installed the OS.

This IS a Codetel problem.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... This IS a Codetel problem.

Here in Santiago there has been a problem for several weeks now, the sites just don't come up, screen saids waiting for www.xxx.xxx, blank pages comes up with the word "Done" in lower left corner of screen, etc. Very annoying. Sometimes it helps to just start over, and re-click the request for the site one wants.

Don SantiagoDR

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Should Codetel provice English support?

As I mentioned before, I come from the land of language battles, Queerbec.
Perhaps I am too sensitive to this matter.
Maybe if some of you had lived in a language police state, you might feel the same.
Yes, I said "language police state".
A place where they have language police.
A place where the police sneak around in stores and businesses, trying to catch people speaking English, and if/when they do, they levy heavy fines.
They check the size of your signs in both languages, and if the English one is as big or bigger than the French one, you're busted.
So you think I'm kidding, do you?
We once got busted in our electronic store.
It was a tiny business of just 5 employees, including myself and my buddy Morris who I went to school with and owned the biz.
I happened to ask him something one day in English, and the language police were in the store, and bang we were busted, and yes, it cost us big money.

This is the way I figure it.
If I want to open a business here and only offer services in Swahili, and I fail, that's my business.
It's my company to do with as I please !!!!!

And for those who don't like it, take your business somewhere else.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
198.6.1.4 UUnet
208.67.222.222 Open DNS
208.67.220.220 Open DNS
I was pretty sure that I had tried those numbers before, and I thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately, as I put them back in 10 or 15 minutes ago, and the problem we are having still exists.
I do appreciate it all the same.
I'm willing to try anything sensible to get rid of this problem.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was pretty sure that I had tried those numbers before, and I thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately, as I put them back in 10 or 15 minutes ago, and the problem we are having still exists.

Thanks Rocky, I just signed back on and was about to try those numbers also.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Rocky,

A very interesteting thing just happened. I fired up the laptop which has not been used for a few weeks, and either Codetel JUST FIXED the system, or perhaps there is something on the desktop slowing it down.

The little Icon on the bottom of my screen saids there are updates available for this computer, I think I will wait until I have more time to compare the Laptop response to the Desktop before I d/l the updates from Microsoft.

Right now I have to go out, so no time to test farther.

Speed is great right now...... (On the Laptop)

Later!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
You're talking to the king of virus and spyware removers.
I know you're the man, Marco, this was not directed to you, rather a genereal statement, since I observed it to be the case very often...

we've been experiencing the identical problem for the same period of time(...)
This IS a Codetel problem.
So it sounds like it is a localized Codetel problem... One of you is in Santiago, another in Sosua, and another in Puerto Plata... I would be curious to know if all those locations share the same servers... Because down in Las Terrenas, we don't have any issue whatsoever... Maybe our internet comes from Sto Dgo... I would be interested to see a chart of the internet routes in DR...

As of languages, what the hell, we're in Dominican Republic, not in the United Kingdom... Next thing you know, we'll have Russian residents beetching that Codetel help desk doesn't speak Russian !

I feel Quebec's hardliner views sounds very silly (and I am a native French speaker...). Eventually the strongest shall survive... If it is the English language, so be it... Ancient Greek and Latin are not used anymore, it is the way things go... You can't artificially push a minority language for very long...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know you're the man, Marco, this was not directed to you, rather a genereal statement, since I observed it to be the case very often...

So it sounds like it is a localized Codetel problem... One of you is in Santiago, another in Sosua, and another in Puerto Plata... I would be curious to know if all those locations share the same servers... Because down in Las Terrenas, we don't have any issue whatsoever... Maybe our internet comes from Sto Dgo... I would be interested to see a chart of the internet routes in DR...

As of languages, what the hell, we're in Dominican Republic, not in the United Kingdom... Next thing you know, we'll have Russian residents beetching that Codetel help desk doesn't speak Russian !

I feel Quebec's hardliner views sounds very silly (and I am a native French speaker...). Eventually the strongest shall survive... If it is the English language, so be it... Ancient Greek and Latin are not used anymore, it is the way things go... You can't artificially push a minority language for very long...
Off topic, for a second.
Ever since I first saw your DR1 nickname, I was hoping you would say something stupid, so I could post.
"You don't know squat", lol.
And you keep posting some of the most intelligent and reasonable posts, and I'm bursting at the seems to make my stupid little joke.
So there.
I've said it.
Now stop being so intelligent and reasonable. ;););)

PS: We have officially changed the name of our province from Quebec to Queerbec. :cheeky:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
This is EXACTLY......

Here in Santiago there has been a problem for several weeks now, the sites just don't come up, screen saids waiting for www.xxx.xxx, blank pages comes up with the word "Done" in lower left corner of screen, etc. Very annoying. Sometimes it helps to just start over, and re-click the request for the site one wants.

Don SantiagoDR

.....the problem that we are experiencing too...... 100%.....and it has never happened before........Our computers are not virus infected, have no "resident" programs running etc.......since I know how to keep them clean and running fast........

.....WHAT I HAVE NOTICED THOUGH, IS THAT IF I DO SPEED TESTS.......MY DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ARE NORMAL BUT MY UPLOAD SPEEDS ARE 1/2 OF WHAT THEY USED TO BE..........I have tried it on various speedtest sites and over a period of weeks on a daily basis........

Codetel techs say "no, we can test your lines from here and they are fine" (IN SPANISH OF COUSE, and I know what they are saying).....

.....looking up "slow upload speeds" on Google etc tends to show that the problem is probably interference on the line.........

Oh well, I AM STILL SURFING, just a littler slower!..........BUT I WILL SOMEDAY GET TO THE END OF IT!!!!!!! :cheeky::laugh::laugh:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
.....the problem that we are experiencing too...... 100%.....and it has never happened before........Our computers are not virus infected, have no "resident" programs running etc.......since I know how to keep them clean and running fast........
Agreed.

.....WHAT I HAVE NOTICED THOUGH, IS THAT IF I DO SPEED TESTS.......MY DOWNLOAD SPEEDS ARE NORMAL BUT MY UPLOAD SPEEDS ARE 1/2 OF WHAT THEY USED TO BE..........I have tried it on various speedtest sites and over a period of weeks on a daily basis........
Same here, but my uploads haven't changed much. If they are lower, it's marginal.

Codetel techs say "no, we can test your lines from here and they are fine" (IN SPANISH OF COUSE, and I know what they are saying).....
Typical BS reply, which actually means, I don't care, stop bothering me, please let me get back to chatting with my fellow office workers.

.....looking up "slow upload speeds" on Google etc tends to show that the problem is probably interference on the line.........
Wow. You have a link?
I'm interested in seeing what they have to say.
One of us has to figure out the problem, so that we could then prove it to the idiots at Codetel, and maybe force them to do something about it.

Oh well, I AM STILL SURFING, just a littler slower!..........BUT I WILL SOMEDAY GET TO THE END OF IT!!!!!!! :cheeky::laugh::laugh:
If you find any solutions, please let us know, as will I.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I ***MAY*** have solved.....

Don SantiagoDR

.....some of my problem...... It has been 1 hour now and I have not been "hung" up on pages not loading. I have tried probably 100 pages and so far so good........

Maybe someone can tell me if it is possible.....since even though I feel I know enough about computers I am a little shaky on router setup HERE IN THE DR.....

I have ALWAYS had my WAN router settings on "Dynamic IP Address" even though that is normally for Cable but Codetel has always said to use that.

I have now changed it to "Static IP" and added a PRIMARY DNS of 198.6.1.4 and a secondary DNS of 208.67.222.222.

I HAVE NOTICED SUBSTANTIAL IMPROVEMENT......not to exactly what I have had for years......BUT MUCH BETTER THAN LAST 2 MONTHS......

MY Speedtest remains the same (Normal download and 1/2 of upload)

BUT ONLINE INTERNET IS WORKING MUCH BETTER?????

CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE??????? I KNOW IN THE US WITH DSL WE USE PPPoe for DSL....but that has NEVER seemed to work here....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
.....some of my problem...... It has been 1 hour now and I have not been "hung" up on pages not loading. I have tried probably 100 pages and so far so good........

Maybe someone can tell me if it is possible.....since even though I feel I know enough about computers I am a little shaky on router setup HERE IN THE DR.....

I have ALWAYS had my WAN router settings on "Dynamic IP Address" even though that is normally for Cable but Codetel has always said to use that.

I have now changed it to "Static IP" and added a PRIMARY DNS of 198.6.1.4 and a secondary DNS of 208.67.222.222.

I HAVE NOTICED SUBSTANTIAL IMPROVEMENT......not to exactly what I have had for years......BUT MUCH BETTER THAN LAST 2 MONTHS......

MY Speedtest remains the same (Normal download and 1/2 of upload)

BUT ONLINE INTERNET IS WORKING MUCH BETTER?????

CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE??????? I KNOW IN THE US WITH DSL WE USE PPPoe for DSL....but that has NEVER seemed to work here....
I can tell you that the last hour has been good here too, without changing anything
Earlier on this AM, it was screwing up as per your desciptions, with pages that were slow to load, specially on DR1.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Ever since I first saw your DR1 nickname, I was hoping you would say something stupid, so I could post.
"You don't know squat", lol.
Marco, I wish I would have thought in English, that day of 2001 when I was asked for a nickname to register on DR1... I wasn't aware of the meaning in English ! It is just the name of our group of friends back when we were teenagers (Le Squat')...
Now I have to live with it, since I don't want to re-register with a new name :)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marco, I wish I would have thought in English, that day of 2001 when I was asked for a nickname to register on DR1... I wasn't aware of the meaning in English ! It is just the name of our group of friends back when we were teenagers (Le Squat')...
Now I have to live with it, since I don't want to re-register with a new name :)
It's as kool a name as any.
Just needed to say it once, and as CC pointed out, the real expression is, "You don't know diddly squat". ;)

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
The service in Santiago (South) has been excellent for the past 5 weeks. I regularily check the connection speeds and this is the result 3 minutes ago i.e. 0944 Hrs:-

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1278 kbps (159.8KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 460 kbps (57.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The service in Santiago (South) has been excellent for the past 5 weeks. I regularily check the connection speeds and this is the result 3 minutes ago i.e. 0944 Hrs:-

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1278 kbps (159.8KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 460 kbps (57.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
We get good results on our speed tests too, but still have a problem, as well described by Adrian near the beginning of this thread.
Do you ever find DR1 pages loading very slowly, or not at all?
Are you using Codetel service?

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Yes I am using Codetel but yes the only site that I encounter problems is DR1. My European banking etc works a treat.

I read here that Nortel were supposedly introducing WIMAX but I have seen no more info as to when it will be implemented.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes I am using Codetel but yes the only site that I encounter problems is DR1. My European banking etc works a treat.
As per Adrian's post,
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/67228-codetel-dsl-problems.html#post564658

Codetel has several main links to the island. If one or two of them are down, then the others have to carry the load. For some services, such as skype this may not present as much of a problem because its a distributed service. But for others like DR1, it will mean we get very slow access at times.
So you are also experiencing the very same problem we are.

Also this post.
<TABLE class=tborder id=post565019 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>SantiagoDR <!-- v3 Arcade --><!-- /v3 Arcade -->
user_offline.gif
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_565019", true); </SCRIPT>
Gold
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Jan 2006

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_565019><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->
icon1.gif

<HR style="COLOR: #173f96" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">... This IS a Codetel problem. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>