Codetel is P*ing me off!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What gets around the problem of pages loading sometimes, and I emphasize "sometimes" is to use another web browser. For example, when Dr1 fails to load on Firefox, I go to IE, and vice versa.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What gets around the problem of pages loading sometimes, and I emphasize "sometimes" is to use another web browser. For example, when Dr1 fails to load on Firefox, I go to IE, and vice versa.
I've done that too, but from what I can tell, it's just a matter of luck.
For example, you could be trying to load the last post in a thread, and it's taking an eternity, but you could cancel the page load, and try again a second later, at it works fine.
I have also tested this with 2 puter, side by side, at the very same time, with the same and with different browsers, and the result is that it's random.
No one thing cures, nor provokes the problem.
I like Adrian's way of explaining it.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Another DSL problem here in the south is the SNR readings in the modem.
They should be between 6 and 15 for good connection, but for any reason like rain, sun, weatherchanges, a dog peeing, the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) can get effected, this in combination with a crappy network (yes windows) , what does not solve the problem the SNR can drop under 2 and even goes in error and lower than 0 (2337557863 is the result than).

Codetel denies this problem even when they SEE IT !!!

And since the problem is normally "glued" to your DSL IP address (same port/gate on the crappy server) a hard REBOOT (power down - power up) is in most cases THE solution.
Your DSL router will ask for the next IP in range, this one is free and therefore not used for some time and you will have a "good" connection for some time.

And the "some time" is offcourse completely depending on all things that can influence the wires used for the connection between you and the DSL gate.

Instead of solving this problem, codetel will try to sell you their 1500/1500 1:1 package for RD$ 18.000/month without taxes
And than still they use the SAME server and the SAME cables and this improves only codetels financial situation but not your connection.

You complain to many times here in San Pedro or come with too many facts, codetel will ask YOU to cancel YOUR contract, without even trying to solve/investigate the problem.

A.

to see the SNR numbers
goto your DSL IP address, standard codetel is http://10.0.0.1
if this does not work try to read your pc ip address it looks like aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd , than goto http://aaa.bbb.ccc.1
Where aaa - bbb - ccc - ddd are numbers seperated by dots

try to find a page with statistics (those pages are not password protected)
goto the DSL statistics and let that run for a while.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here is a low resolution easy to load video clip of what it's like to load the DR1 forum's page, when Codetel's internet is being slow.

Click on image to play.
It's in real time, so you'll be able to see just how long it takes.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
That looks to me like a DNS issue. It was DNS which took a long time, not the page loading (unless it was cached). I'd make doubly sure you're using an external DNS server such as openDNS. Do you get the openDNS error page when you mistype a domain?

Adrian

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That looks to me like a DNS issue. It was DNS which took a long time, not the page loading (unless it was cached). I'd make doubly sure you're using an external DNS server such as openDNS. Do you get the openDNS error page when you mistype a domain?

Adrian
This is with open DNS.
And this is the page I get from a mistyped website.

4tyh600x430.jpg

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Adrianb ? any?

I have no windows , but maybe it is possible to make screendumps for the DNS settings in the different flavors of windows

A.
(i just edit my RESOLVE file and that is it :) )

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'd suggest you follow their instructions until you get it working: https://www.opendns.com/start

There are two network places in windows where you can configure the DNS settings. One seems to affect the settings and the other does not. I'm sure the opendns site can help you through the process.

https://www.opendns.com/start?device=windows-xp
That's what I thought you meant.
Been there, done that, bought the cap, got the T-shirt, and it makes no difference for me.
Sometimes all is well, other times it takes an eternity to open an internet page, particularly DR1.
Several of us in the Sosua area have the same problem and have been experiencing it for 2 months or so.
We played with the DNS numbers a long time ago, to no avail.
Nothing has helped so far.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
In additional to the above mentioned page, you may want to disable some unnecessary services as well in the network settings.

If you use only internet, you only need TCPIP
QOS - File and Printsharing - and all other protocols can be disabled/uninstalled.
Leave the microsoft logon intact

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In additional to the above mentioned page, you may want to disable some unnecessary services as well in the network settings.

If you use only internet, you only need TCPIP
QOS - File and Printsharing - and all other protocols can be disabled/uninstalled.
Leave the microsoft logon intact
Thanks for the suggestion, but the bottom line is this.
Codetel is screwing up lately.
It's not just me, it's not to do with settings on my puter and there's likely very little I could do to improve the situation, except pressure them to fix it.
If I were the only one with these problems, that would be a different story.
There's a bunch of us in Sosua with the identical problem, in fact, I know nobody who doesn't have the problem.
Apparently, there are folks in other parts of the country with the same problem too, so I don't think I'll be tearing my puter apart over this.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Even without the zero codetel quality , all those advises will always give your pc more "speed" and a "smoother" run over the internet.

In the case of codetel, it can be just the little bit that can make your connection work, it is never said that it will resolve the codetel problem, it is just a kind of "workaround"

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

DunHill, Rocky runs a local lan, so it is most probably not advisable to disable his networking services. ;)

Yes, file and print sharing can be disabled but then it becomes a pain to do anything on the little network. If it was just one computer, of course .. get rid of the stuff. But he runs anything up to 10 or 12 computers at a time.

garyOPA

Sep 20, 2007
When I recently moved from Canada to Barahona, I had a lot of problems
getting my high-speed DSL working from Codetel, web pages were very slow coming up, and even tho I am paying for 1.5mbps ($2,850pesos) package, it was bad bad, and at first it worked only for 1 day, and then it took a week of high-tech techies to get it working again.

Afterwards, I changed some of my settings to make things better.

First I configured Windows to use DNS of 4.2.2.2 and Sec. DNS of 4.2.2.3

And then I went into the Speedtouch pages and changed the following:

First goto http://10.0.0.1

Type the username in: admin
And then the password of: 1234

And if you like me and your spanish is a little rough (only been here 2 months), click on the small EN at the top of the page to switch your
modem settings into ENGLISH.

On the left-hand menu click on "Configuration" under the *SPEEDTOUCH" heading.

And then along the top-bar menu click on "Configure" and then make sure
near the bottom of the settings, that "WEB BROWSING INTERCEPTION" is
set to "Disabled" and then click on APPLY.

Don't run the SETUP or change the "PPPOA" settings, unless Codetel was
nice enough of them to give your PPP password, you can see your PPP
username, but the password is "********" on the screen. Which is SAD,
in Canada Ma BELL is nice enough to give you all the information plus speeds
in the 18meg range now with ADSL2.

Next if you are like me and do alot on your computer network, and need
better direct internet access, click on "HOME NETWORK" and then click
on your Ethernet port which they seem to always name "BELLA" and
select the "Assign Public IP" to your device, which will make your Windows
next time it grabs the Dynamic IP to switch from the default 10.0.0.1 to
your REAL IP which are see by on the outside world, but you should be
running a good "firewall" program on your Windows side if you do so.

If anyone else needs help, I will see what I can do for you, I been using
the Internet for 20 years now, and being here now in DR instead of Canada
it is like stepping back 10 years in the past.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
They either fixed the problem for the most part here in Santiago, or, it?s the fact that I went on Google a couple days ago and found a better DNS. Since I have been using it, mostly very good response, and I only have the 384kb Flash.

I don't know which, but I am much happier now.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Well get this...............

I've been having trouble with the "voice" portion of my line (the one that has flash-DSL) since the rain, (NOEL) and have been dreading calling Codetel, IE: WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD........THEY WON'T SPEAK ENGLISH........

I have other lines and a cellular so it really didn't matter but now I see that it is affecting my FLASH DSL since the noise is now really loud.............

I knew that it would be very easy since they would be able to hear the noise and I wouldn't have to really carry on a long SPANISH conversation with them trying to explain the problem.

I called and IN SPANISH started to explain the problem and also tell him that SPANISH is not my native language......JUST IN CASE HE DIDN"T UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING.......I DID NOT ASK HIM TO SPEAK ENGLISH.........but I was doing fine.............

NOW THE GUY STARTS SPEAKING *******ONLY ENGLISH********* TO ME!

SO I JUST CONTINUED ANSWERING HIM IN SPANISH! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

...........AND NOW WHILE I AM TYPING THIS, THE GUY CALLS ME BACK AGAIN BECAUSE HE GAVE ME THE WRONG REPORT NUMBER AND SPOKE ONLY ENGLISH!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I called and IN SPANISH started to explain the problem and also tell him that SPANISH is not my native language......JUST IN CASE HE DIDN"T UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING.......I DID NOT ASK HIM TO SPEAK ENGLISH.........but I was doing fine.............

NOW THE GUY STARTS SPEAKING *******ONLY ENGLISH********* TO ME!

SO I JUST CONTINUED ANSWERING HIM IN SPANISH! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

...........AND NOW WHILE I AM TYPING THIS, THE GUY CALLS ME BACK AGAIN BECAUSE HE GAVE ME THE WRONG REPORT NUMBER AND SPOKE ONLY ENGLISH!

Brilliant! :laugh::laugh: You solved your problem. Now, if you have the man's name and could post it here, you'll solve the problem for everyone else who needs to speak English with them. And he will wonder why he is so popular..........:)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Should be thinking...........

Brilliant! :laugh::laugh: You solved your problem. Now, if you have the man's name and could post it here, you'll solve the problem for everyone else who needs to speak English with them. And he will wonder why he is so popular..........:)

..........like you do Lambada....:ermm:.......but I didn't write down the guys' name!!! :surprised

......I just assumed from now on that I won't ask for someone that speaks English, but will just explain it the same way and hope they speak English back!!!!

I figured that since they take the calls in rotation that asking for a certain person would be the same as asking for someone that speaks English.....they'd just say no and that they could help.........

Oh well, but IF I happen to get it.......I'll post it here! :squareeye