Jan 7, 2016
Here's one for you.... Fines for violating the curfew:

136998779_854365895382083_6776185172055369112_n.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: cavok and AlterEgo

Challenger007

Nov 2, 2020
Springfield, Illinois
Infection and death figures from Haiti have to be taken with not one grain, but a full salt shaker.

Haiti lacks anything closely resembling a national health system, much less a proper civil system.

People are born day in and day out, yet there’s not one iota on any records of these births.

Same happens to deaths, where families avoid paying the municipal cemetery fees, by paying the caretakers to carry out burials during off business hours. Some just bury them in the old church linked cemeteries lots left since 1804. Plenty of small of these all over Haiti.

No records of being born, no ID, no death record.

I know Haitians that have no idea of their kin, since many are born to the same mother and different fathers each. And as no records exist, the links are moot.

Aside from these, Haiti’s median age for the population is one of the lowest in our hemisphere. Most Haitians haven’t seen a vaccine since birth, let alone a real national campaign that did so with any success over 20% of the existing population.

Their average age is what’s keeping the death toll lower a bit, but true numbers are anyone’s guesses.

Just staying alive until 60 is a record in Haiti.

Think carefully of the following, after the large earthquake that killed over 160,000 people (median death toll so far) the final or at least more certain tally is NOT available.

Nobody can tell you for certain!!! After 20 years of investigations yielded very little and more questions than answers.

If you want to find a better more honest example, try another country with the same population or close to it in our side of the world.

Like Honduras and Bolivia, since Venezuela and Cuba’s figures can’t be verified by any independent source.

I am amazed at this way of life in 2021. After all, the whole world has already somehow consolidated, there are some kind of international relations, there is a desire of people to learn what lies outside their community. And the Haitians, it turns out, is a radically opposite story.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am amazed at this way of life in 2021. After all, the whole world has already somehow consolidated, there are some kind of international relations, there is a desire of people to learn what lies outside their community. And the Haitians, it turns out, is a radically opposite story.
You would be amazed at the quantity of Dominicans who don't fit that description. As far as Covid is concerned, they are unaware of facts and don't understand the concept of disinfecting or how the disease is transmitted.

It doesn't end there. Many of the things we take for granted are completely foreign to many of them, especially the poor.

One small example: One of my employees asked me the other day about electric cars.
He had never heard of Elon Musk, Tesla, Starlink, or what is a lithium battery.

He didn't know about the crisis of Jan 6 in Washington. (He does know Trum is president)

There are many people who have barely traveled outside of the area they live in, and know nothing about the Dominican Republic, nor do they read the news daily. The only news they hear is the sensational stories passed by gossip.

Education in general here is still in it's infancy and I feel there could be a lot more about Covid.

This is an article from today's N Digital:

Authorities impose 16 curfews in around 10 months of pandemic and the population does not assimilate.

The curfew established in the country as a result of the declaration of a national state of emergency due to the coronavirus pandemic, has undergone 16 extensions and two modifications, in almost ten months, without the authorities having yet been able to make the population assimilate the restrictions, especially non-circulation.

The restrictions began five months after the end of the Danilo Medina government and has continued more firmly in the administration of Luis Abinader.

The first curfew was imposed by former President Medina, through decree 135-20, for just 15 days, as of March 20, 2020. However, in the first fortnight of January 11, 2021, the provision does not present any sign of getting up. The transit and movement of people is prohibited from 8:00 at night to 6:00 in the morning.​

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can take that a step further -

I once met a small group of very educated Dominicans... all from Sto Dom.... bilingual, the works
They were doing a film shoot here on the north coast

Not one of them had ever been to the north before !
Oldest lighthouse in the New World - they knew about - where is it ?
I showed them

I was flabbergasted by what they didn't know.

Reactions: JD Jones

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We can blame lack of travel or education on most cases. There’s ignorance all over to pick from. Even in fully developed nations and with highly educated folks (college degrees).

And just like these, plenty of other countries just with the same results as well.

I think it has to do more with individual choice rather than anything else. Some will continue feeding their brains past their basics, others will not bother and just what serves them to carry on.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Our problem is more about lack of respect for authority, or better said, not an ounce of trust left to respect historically.

It starts at the top and follows down.
How to respect a police officer, if he has no idea of the laws he is bound to enforce?
Can you blame him?
Would you send a fireman to deal with a three alarm fire with a bucket of water?

Some gov workers just have the capacity to the repeated tasks they need to perform, anything outside these repeated tasks is verboten!

It reminded me of dealing with postal workers in NY, FL and other states. Insane! It felt like they gathered all the Neanderthals they could thaw from the deeps of the North Pole.

We have problems if we started to measure intellectual capacity by knowledge alone...
Knowing more stuff than others doesn’t make you smarter than them. It just makes you better informed of some issues you may or not come across in you daily life.

Who was it that said “I know that I know nothing”? Will knowing this make me smarter than you, just because I don’t need to research it to know the answer?
In fact, knowing this and understanding the meaning of it, truly is a difference from the sky to the earth.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Onto some good news, the government is actively seeking to supply the country as fast and early as possible of the Sputnik V vaccines produced in Turkey with authorization from Russia.
So, we are now set to try and gather enough jabs of all types, as in of available ones before the end of the year.

I had to hammer the message to the presidency for weeks on this.

No time to waste!
Most countries will not see a complete vaccination campaign by late 2023...
That bad is the situation with production and demand.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We can blame lack of travel or education on most cases. There’s ignorance all over to pick from. Even in fully developed nations and with highly educated folks (college degrees).

And just like these, plenty of other countries just with the same results as well.

I think it has to do more with individual choice rather than anything else. Some will continue feeding their brains past their basics, others will not bother and just what serves them to carry on.
Absolutely correct. The DR is not alone in this regard. The internet is full of videos of people who are not the brightest lights on the Christmas tree.

And I have said many, many times here on the forum that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Onto some good news, the government is actively seeking to supply the country as fast and early as possible of the Sputnik V vaccines produced in Turkey with authorization from Russia.
So, we are now set to try and gather enough jabs of all types, as in of available ones before the end of the year.

I had to hammer the message to the presidency for weeks on this.

No time to waste!
Most countries will not see a complete vaccination campaign by late 2023...
That bad is the situation with production and demand.
Even I was not predicting this would last until 2023. I was going with some time in 2022.
Imagine two more years of curfews until governments are satisfied, eh?

I see you noticed the Sputnik news for the DR.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Even I was not predicting this would last until 2023. I was going with some time in 2022.
Imagine two more years of curfews until governments are satisfied, eh?

I see you noticed the Sputnik news for the DR.

It’s welcomed news, I’ll tell you that much!

The issue with the vaccines and production is bound to get even worse, as major developed nations start throwing their economic weight around to get their needs fulfilled over the needs of many others.

The biggest issue with the vaccines is that effectiveness and solid data on longevity of the protection is hard to come by and they know this better than others.

It’ll hardly be just a set of jabs as things progress with the non-stop mutation reports coming from multiple countries.

We’re looking at a horrific new reality that vaccines as we know them now, will need to be re-issued later to complement the earlier jabs.

The mutations are far too many and little resemble between each other, as reported lately.
This will only cause more disruptions in the availability of new jabs to the non power houses of the world economies.

If the pace of mutations accelerate any worst, I doubt 2023 will be the end of this pandemic.

Some nations already are focusing on effective treatments rather than vaccines because of this.

If we can downsize the age targeted lethality to that of the flu and other maladies which exists each year, we can then put this behind us for good or bad.

We can’t just throw our arms in the air, else the world’s knowledge will be lost faster than past civilizations could outpace their fates.

We can’t continue to lose our older generations for the sake of economic continuance.
We can’t regress the development already achieved by those generations passed down to ours.

Skills are not trained to mastery, when talent is simply not there.

You can wipe out a civilization by wiping out their collective talent and knowledge of their past.

This virus can do that and much more, as we see our genes are already altered after surviving it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
People without cedulas will spread the virus just like those with cedulas.
If the government wants max benefit from the vaccine it will vaccinate everyone as fast as possible.
How many illegals here have no cedula?
Estimates have between 650,000 and one million Haitians living in the DR.

Not like the DR cannot afford to give out the vaccines.

I thought this was a national health and economic crisis and we are looking to save a buck ?

No, we are looking to do what is proper.
Vaccinate our Dominican citizens and LEGAL residents who choose to receive the vaccination.
Once our people are accounted for, if supplies last............

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Anyone without a record of their vaccination will be deported, once the campaign starts in full and after ample time is provided for private pay vaccination sites.
Foreigners need to get vaccinated and present their proof. Dominicans will not be charged.
Foreigners will need to pay at private clinics for the shots. These include Haitians.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Anyone without a record of their vaccination will be deported, once the campaign starts in full and after ample time is provided for private pay vaccination sites.
Foreigners need to get vaccinated and present their proof. Dominicans will not be charged.
Foreigners will need to pay at private clinics for the shots. These include Haitians.

Not true. Can you please cite a source for this ridiculous assertion?
There are foreign nationals here within RD who have Dominican health insurance which was purchased by only utilizing their foreign passports as identification. They are not citizens. They are not residents. They will be able to be vaccinated through their health care provider if they so choose.
Not one person has called for mass deportations of unvaccinated persons.

Reactions: Garyexpat

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Ya okkk foreigner round up..... first and foremost government stated only free for Dominicans and expects WHO to vaccinate Haitians and rest of illegal immigrants..

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

Big

Apr 24, 2019
half of Africa is the exact same

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Never mind that we have another member of this very community who sends messages to the RD government stating that they should be researching the possibility of enacting colour coded schemes to identify those that are vaccinated, from those that are not.
Has history not taught us that these abhorrent efforts at labeling persons are despicable and reprehensible at best?
Why don't we just begin tattooing people with serial numbers as well?
Oh wait, that has been done before.

I haven't gotten the flu vaccine since 1973. His comments are beyond stupid and ludicrous. Thank God he's not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.