Corrupt Immigration Officer at Puerto Plata Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2008
You overstayed your visit? What on earth for? You hate the DR, why would you purposefully decide to extend your stay, by six months no less?

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
since we are on the subject of corruption:
i always travel with my luggage half-filled with food (on a way from europe). i am always quite worried customs will take it and i shamelessly admit i am happy to bribe them as long as i can take my goodies with me.
hence my question: what is a good amount of money to make them turn a blind eye (and nose) and let me keep all the food?

ps so far so good, thanks to my motion sickness i aways look ready to puke even long time after landing so normally customs keep their distance. i am just asking in case there is a brave one...

Well when I arrive the guy always tells me "if you pay me 500 pesos" I won't even look in your bag"

In your case 1,000 pesos should be fine.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
but i was extremely fed up at people coming here to tell us Dominican how bad we run our country.

Actually, I would say it is more of an example that your country doesn't run/work at all and is a bordeline failed state. Come on, Puerto Ricans laugh at the DR...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
but i was extremely fed up at people coming here to tell us Dominican how bad we run our country.

Actually, I would say it is more of an example that your country doesn't run/work at all and is a bordeline failed state.
There are so many things wrong with your post, that I don't know where to start.
You, who moved here for 2 years and failed and went back home to the US, are telling them that they have a borderline failed state?
They're still here, still operational, aren't they?
Where are you?
You're not going to tell us that it was their fault that you failed, are you?
Or worse yet, that you were highly successful but you chose to leave?

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006

Actually, I would say it is more of an example that your country doesn't run/work at all and is a bordeline failed state. Come on, Puerto Ricans laugh at the DR...

The thing that gets me is that when they get here they plaster the flags and blast their music all over.. But in reality, if you paid them they still wouldn't go back.

Haitians leave their horrific country to the land that they once dominated in DR. Dominicans leave there land for PR lol

Exhibit A:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/g-opl/AMIO/images/DR/2452.jpg

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The thing that gets me is that when they get here they plaster the flags and blast their music all over.. But in reality, if you paid them they still wouldn't go back.

Haitians leave their horrific country to the land that they once dominated in DR. Dominicans leave there land for PR lol

Exhibit A:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/g-opl/AMIO/images/DR/2452.jpg
And what is it that you have done with your life, that is so good that it makes you better that the people you denigrate?
Do you have any claim to fame?
Are there folks who would stand beside you and tell the world what a wonderful soul you are?
That you're a hero?
Some type of saintly missionary?
Or are you just a useless non productive social outcast who tries to make himself feel better by putting other people down?
Tell us please.
Enquiring minds want to know.
Tell us how great you are.
We're all here waiting with bated breath.

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
And what is it that you have done with your life, that is so good that it makes you better that the people you denigrate?
Do you have any claim to fame?
Are there folks who would stand beside you and tell the world what a wonderful soul you are?
That you're a hero?
Some type of saintly missionary?
Or are you just a useless non productive social outcast who tries to make himself feel better by putting other people down?
Tell us please.
Enquiring minds want to know.
Tell us how great you are.
We're all here waiting with bated breath.

I plant my genetic code in every Dominicana that I can find, with the hopes that the seeds planted will bear intelligent fruit.

Each time I donate to the cause of the independent workers striding the strips of DR I teach all of them principals of working for what you want..One good property of my teachings is that that it pays off imminently.

But this isn't about me...

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think the main point of this thread was to warn people to check what it will cost them for overstaying the tourist card.

It's not against the law to overstay in the DR, just pay the legal amount and knowing the amount is the reason the OP started this thread.

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Now if there's anything else to be discussed such as, should immigrants continue with their customs once they leave the DR please start another thread.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
bad exchange rate

On a recent trip, I overstayed my visa by 6 months, I knew that I would probably have to pay a huge fine.

Now mind you all over the immigration officer's desks it states that they are NOT allowed to take money.

But he tells me that if I paid him 20 usd all would be ok. I handed him a 50 and he gave me my change.

Viva the DR!

According to the chart, you only had to pay $500, so offering 20 bucks was either very nice of you to over pay, or you aren't as smart as you think you are!

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
No fee with receipt

Lambada was right. If you have the receipt from your residency application, you don't have to pay the overstaying fee, since that fee is paid off as part of your application. Therefore, the OP shouldn't have had to pay anything at all. It took my rather inept lawyer a year and 7 months to get me my provisional residency card (a record?), and in the meantime I left and entered the country quite a few times. Each time I showed a photocopy of the receipt. I was sent into the office many times to get approval from the supervisor, but in the end they let me through without paying, apart from one time when they forced me to buy a tourist card to get back into the country. You just have to stand your ground and insist that you don't have to pay.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you for confirming that, Kiboko. As you illustrate, so much of life here is about being firm yet charming, it is about body language & self confidence not about written regulations. Well done on insisting on your rights. :) We need more people to do that, quietly but firmly, in all walks of life.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Illegals in the United States support the local economy, they spend money on food, shopping, transportion, let give them all citizenship !!!!HURRAY!!!!!

I should go to Canada or the Uk and overstay my visa, because i'm going to support the local economy buying food, clothes, but that's not the point, the point is, the law of the land was broken.
Well my educated friend, I did not enter the country illegally, and please prove to me where overstaying the 30 day tourist card is breaking the law of the land. I would like to read it for myself. If it is indeed a law, why has no one reportedly been charged with "breaking the law"?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Abuse of Public Resources, Joblessness, Undereducation, and Flesh Rentals are the Dominican contribution to the world.

If you don't like people that break the law, then you don't like the essence of the Dominican species. The dominican way is to abuse/get over/take advantage at all costs.

When I get stopped by the police in the DR, I just throw 100 pesos in there faces and pull off.

When I get stopped by the police in the DR. I answer their questions and they let me go. I don't have to throw not even 1 peso. I know there is a lot of corruption in the DR. and it's obvious that you are encouraging it.

Undereducation!! Well well, educated people don't throw nothing in the face of other people.

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
On a recent trip, I overstayed my visa by 6 months, I knew that I would probably have to pay a huge fine.

Now mind you all over the immigration officer's desks it states that they are NOT allowed to take money.

But he tells me that if I paid him 20 usd all would be ok. I handed him a 50 and he gave me my change.

Viva the DR!

You are not as corrupted as the officer is, verdad que no ??

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Well my educated friend, I did not enter the country illegally, and please prove to me where overstaying the 30 day tourist card is breaking the law of the land. I would like to read it for myself. If it is indeed a law, why has no one reportedly been charged with "breaking the law"?

I am still waiting an answer to the same question I asked a couple of days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.