Cost of living in Dominican Republic?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Says the angry guy with a skin color hang up. Who said how great they live ? Who lives in a condo ? I am a happy go lucky guy and love A/C, golf and chicas. None of which are free. I don't like dominos or loitering around colmado's sitting on plastic chairs talking to moto concho drivers about Dah !!

The colmados are the best places on the island.....you are missing out on a wonderful source of nice chicas...you have no idea.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The colmados are the best places on the island.....you are missing out on a wonderful source of nice chicas...you have no idea.

if you have a personality, and you can communicate, and people enjoy your presence, then colmados, supermarkets, bus stops, stores, the beach, in front of universities, or just about anywhere, are great places to meet women. some guys just need to be on the ho stroll.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
if you have a personality, and you can communicate, and people enjoy your presence, then colmados, supermarkets, bus stops, stores, the beach, in front of universities, or just about anywhere, are great places to meet women. some guys just need to be on the ho stroll.

I just can't understand why people come to the DR and avoid the things that make it such a wonderful place.

The colmados are also great places to learn Spanish.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Says the angry guy with a skin color hang up. Who said how great they live ? Who lives in a condo ? I am a happy go lucky guy and love A/C, golf and chicas. None of which are free. I don't like dominos or loitering around colmado's sitting on plastic chairs talking to moto concho drivers about Dah !!

Paul,

Got the A/C, DR and non DR chicas, villa suite, unlimited food and booze, maid service, fee electricity, excellent security, and other amenities for $40 US a day in Playa Dorada. I live better here than I do in Canada where I have to cook for myself, pay for my own food and booze, and maintain my house and vehicle. I know my living accommodations in the DR aren't the norm but it is an example of one of the cheaper living options you can have here.

I'm grinning from ear to ear as I write this. LOL!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I just can't understand why people come to the DR and avoid the things that make it such a wonderful place.

The colmados are also great places to learn Spanish.

i thought i explained that before. some guys come here thinking that they are special, and that the locals are going to fawn over them and their Toyota Prado. it does not take long before they get their comeuppance, and realize that the only person who thinks they are special is themself.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Paul,

Got the A/C, DR and non DR chicas, villa suite, unlimited food and booze, maid service, fee electricity, excellent security, and other amenities for $40 US a day in Playa Dorada. I live better here than I do in Canada where I have to cook for myself, pay for my own food and booze, and maintain my house and vehicle. I know my living accommodations in the DR aren't the norm but it is an example of one of the cheaper living options you can have here.

But is this a longterm solution? I couldnt imagine being forced to eat AI type food 24/7. Also would need to upgrade internet, cable from longterm unless your completely retired. If you dont drink much again not a big bonus. You cannot really invite friends over. How large is your place, studio suite. If you add all this up over the longterm, it may be better to have an aprtment that has pool security etc. Just a thought

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
An example of cheaper than other countries is the bus system. Due to my car being in an accident ( thankfully paid for my the other guys insurance) We had to go to the airport in Santiago to get our rental car through the insurance company. Bus from Jarabacoa to La Vega - 70 pesos each, then La Vega to Santiago 75 pesos each. Comfortable air conditioned vans with max of 15 passengers.
Met a Puerto Rican guy on the bus. Lived all his working life in New Jersey...etc. Said his pension went much farther in the DR than other options he could afford. Lived in small town on the edge of La Vega.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
But is this a longterm solution? I couldnt imagine being forced to eat AI type food 24/7. Also would need to upgrade internet, cable from longterm unless your completely retired. If you dont drink much again not a big bonus. You cannot really invite friends over. How large is your place, studio suite. If you add all this up over the longterm, it may be better to have an aprtment that has pool security etc. Just a thought

Lots of local cafes and restaurants near by and in Puerto Plata for variety. Free internet for my I-pad and access to resort computers for paying bills and printing documents. My suite is large. Two queen size beds, double balcony, living area, fridge, dining table, etc. Excellent for long term stays. English tv channels, including movie channels, sports channels and new channels. Anyone can drop in to see me. I've had friends from Luperon, Costambar, Cabarete, here many times. Some have chosen to stay here and celebrate Xmas and New Years with me. They get the same deal as me under my membership. I'm not doing this long term. For a newcomer to the DR, it's a great way to get your feet wet and figure out if you want to rent or buy and stay here permanently.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know both gringos living on under 1,000 dollars a month and on over 10,000 dollars a month. anything in between is a fair game.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Paul,

How can I get in on THAT action? $1200/mo is a drop in the bucket.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I did not know you could stay at an AI, extended periods for $40 a day ? is that what he is saying.
All food and booze included, and maid service.
I guess one would have to cut back substantially on "personal" material things, as there is limited room, but thats an Awesome Idea
Not to mention the SECURITY factor and probably a nice safe Parking lot as well ?
wow, never thought of that.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It seems like it would be an ideal solution for Independent living retirees, or expats who will only spend a few months a year in the Dr. Hard to beat that kind of value imagine if there was a facility that provided similar value, but with the marshaling additional cost up Home Health Care nurses. Life on the beach certainly would be more pleasant than being stuck in some institutional retirement home.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Well, if its an AI he's referring to, I think I'l pass. Don't think could handle that chow on a daily basis. Plus, I love to cook. Also, its been my experience that outside chicas aren't allowed into the resort for free.
I'll opt for the $650 condo in Cortecita instead, thank you.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
How can I get in on THAT action? $1200/mo is a drop in the bucket.

I bought my unlimited membership five years ago when they set up the membership club. Don't know what it costs these days. They have an entry level package for DR families that costs $3000 US. The AI is per person and you get the refurbished villa suite free of charge. If I head to Luperon for the weekend, I don't pay the AI fee. The membership office is open during the weekend and Monday. Pop Village resort in Playa Dorada if you want to check it out.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I did not know you could stay at an AI, extended periods for $40 a day ? is that what he is saying.
All food and booze included, and maid service.
I guess one would have to cut back substantially on "personal" material things, as there is limited room, but thats an Awesome Idea
Not to mention the SECURITY factor and probably a nice safe Parking lot as well ?
wow, never thought of that.

It's true! It's true! I just lucked into it. Stayed here on an all inclusive package when they were setting up the membership club. It's a three star, a bit worn around the edges, but the refurbished villa suites are clean, the food is great, DR dishes are available along with the usual Canadian and American fare. Two ala carte restaurants, Italian, and Mexican for variety, snack bar, beachbar and Cafe, private lounging area for members by the pool and unlimited access to Bohemia from the bar in the membership office.

Can get noisey on the weekends when the DR families check in. Doesn't bother me. I like the families and it gives me a chance to practise my Espa?ol.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Well, if its an AI he's referring to, I think I'l pass. Don't think could handle that chow on a daily basis. Plus, I love to cook. Also, its been my experience that outside chicas aren't allowed into the resort for free.
I'll opt for the $650 condo in Cortecita instead, thank you.

To each his own amigo. Since my divorce I've developed an aversion to cooking. I do it back in Canada because I have to. Safe large parking areas to park my rentals, no worries about painting, plumbing or electrical problems. Lots of chicas from different countries and I can bring my DR female friends in on day passes. Reduced rate taxi service from the main lobby to and from the airport. I get to and from the airport faster than the tourists on the AI packages, check in early, relax and enjoy a dark rum andCoke. No condo fees.Only pay when I'm there.