Create tattoo Shop in DR

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
My friend Marina left Punta Cana for Alberta, Canada. She was by far the best Tattoo artist in the DR.

I doubt that anybody, especially a Dominican ever can fill the gap she left...

https://www.facebook.com/marinaalextattoo

Actually Mike, her tattoo work is not very good. If I walked into a shop and looked her port folio, I'd walk straight back out again. She could only sustain such low quality in an a place where no one knew tattoos or quality. In the DR the mentality around this younger generation is 'give me ink, any ink, just give me ink.' They haven't got a clue. They are as clued up on tatts as they are on fashion. There are some decent artists springing up in the city, some Dominican grown and some deportees from the US.

May 29, 2006
tattoos1d.png

I'm no judge of tattoos, but I'm not a fan of the portfolio either. All that shading will blur into a mess, esp with a woman's skin. Looks like she got started painting on black velvet. I bet she does a great Elvis, (maybe even a Pegasus). If that's the best that can be gotten on the island, then prices are prob too low for a real pro.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I keep hoping tattoos will go out of fashion. The ear gauging thing is even worse.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
tattoos1d.png

I'm no judge of tattoos, but I'm not a fan of the portfolio either. All that shading will blur into a mess, esp with a woman's skin. Looks like she got started painting on black velvet. I bet she does a great Elvis, (maybe even a Pegasus). If that's the best that can be gotten on the island, then prices are prob too low for a real pro.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I keep hoping tattoos will go out of fashion. The ear gauging thing is even worse.

Certainly not the best that can be had, I'd rate that stuff in the bottom 20%, it's blown to hell, she has no idea what she is doing, because people can draw a sketch does not qualify them to put ink into skin correctly and skillfully.

I love that diagram you posted, every studio should have one of their door.

The DR are years behind, breakdance is massive in the Barrios of the city, and the schools these days, I think that was back in the 80's in the real world no?

The Chelsea facelift, is another thing, that's popular now, where as that was popular in the US back in the 80's/90's.

Don't get me started on clothing.

But I suppose one good thing about all this tattooing in DR is that even if they do tattoo their hands, face and neck they are basically unemployable anyway. And so not losing out on much, or as much as someone with open options in life might be. You've really got to have your life planned out and in absolute financial security with no intention of changing your mind to start getting hands, and face tattooed. The 'I don't care what people think' attitude really doesn't get people with these tatts very far when life doesn't go according to plan. I know a few very intelligent people who made big mistakes and the attitude of 'I don't care what people think, it's for me' ideal they had in their 20's-30's when self employed has not landed them in good stead now they need an employer to survive. An education thrown away to some extent.

The expansion piercings like you say are just odd on some people

a97759_g266_2-most-pierced.jpg

v3.jpg

and so we know Dominicans will be there in about 30 years from now, something to look forward to.

I think even Dominicans have more sense than to go this far though, just frinkin stupid and so dangerous.

a97759_g266_4-ankle.jpg

Although this could be an idea for Dominican tagging, or stopping these jail breaks!"

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ugly

I remember the times (in Germany) when tattoos were very rare.
Then only sailors, circus hands, jail birds and petty criminals had them.
This must have changed considerably, as I see many European tourists with tattoos now.

Some are ugly as hell..... both, the tattoos and the guys... :speechles

donP

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Times have changed....a lot. When I was younger it wasn't uncommon for Guys to get service related logo tat's or maybe a heart honoring their sweetie or Mom and tramp stamps were the sole domain of strippers and hookers as they were meant to remind their clients who they belonged to while back there doing their business and who would be coming looking for them if the deal went South.

Now tatoos are for everybody. One doesn't need to be a tramp to wear the stamp and you don't have to go to prison to get a prison tat. All 5 of my young Adults have tatoos. My oldest at least waited until after she'd graduated high school and had a couple years of college under her belt before getting a small ankle tatoo. My Son was in HS when he got his 1st two, shoulder and back Japanese characters which I told him translated into "Kick Me" and "Please be Gentle" as I think it's pretty stupid to get a tat in a foreign language if you aren't actually literate in that language. My 3 youngest got their 1st tat's before they even got to HS.

Tatoos are like junk jewelry now. The problem is that as young Adults mature their inked on indiscretions do not. Many tatoo artists are enjoying the return business of former clients wishing to embellish their existing tatoos to appear less childish.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I may be getting old

Times have changed....a lot. When I was younger it wasn't uncommon for Guys to get service related logo tat's or maybe a heart honoring their sweetie or Mom and tramp stamps were the sole domain of strippers and hookers as they were meant to remind their clients who they belonged to while back there doing their business and who would be coming looking for them if the deal went South.

Now tatoos are for everybody. One doesn't need to be a tramp to wear the stamp and you don't have to go to prison to get a prison tat. All 5 of my young Adults have tatoos. My oldest at least waited until after she'd graduated high school and had a couple years of college under her belt before getting a small ankle tatoo. My Son was in HS when he got his 1st two, shoulder and back Japanese characters which I told him translated into "Kick Me" and "Please be Gentle" as I think it's pretty stupid to get a tat in a foreign language if you aren't actually literate in that language. My 3 youngest got their 1st tat's before they even got to HS.

Tatoos are like junk jewelry now. The problem is that as young Adults mature their inked on indiscretions do not. Many tatoo artists are enjoying the return business of former clients wishing to embellish their existing tatoos to appear less childish.

I am not into tattoos (I just can't picture something on me that I wouldn't get tired after a while), ESPECIALLY on blacks. In my opinion, ink is unattractive on brown skin color.

But, again, my mother disliked my piercing (nose) the same way :nervous:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
nothing uglier then an old lady with tatoos .

There are beauty marks.
There are warts.
There are warts with hair growing out of them.
There are warts, with hair growing out of them and tattoos.

I think that if one feels he needs to get his skin decorated, temporary tattoos make sense.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nothing uglier then an old lady with tatoos .

years ago i was waiting for a bus on a sunny london day. next to me there was an old lady, maybe 80 or so. she had a tattoo on her arm: a heart with a ribbon around it, saying "marcel". i really wanted to talk to her and ask about it. there must have been a story behind it, far more interesting than the crap grandparents normally talk about...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as far as facial tattoos making people unemployable. it depends on a person. rick genest (also known as zombie boy) is perfectly employable and probably making more than most straight up tattooless folks:

2n1xe86.jpg

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
True, it is hard to imagine youth ever being as pointless in decisions about tattoos. It's more about social status these days and less about the artwork. People who seemingly claim not too care about what others think of them surely do go a long way to contradict themselves.

I don't think Zombie boy is typical or will sustain a lasting career as a model. He was lucky, in the right place at the right time.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
as far as facial tattoos making people unemployable. it depends on a person. rick genest (also known as zombie boy) is perfectly employable and probably making more than most straight up tattooless folks:

2n1xe86.jpg

My dream neighbor ! My kid wouldn't dare breathing if I threatened them with getting him.:devious:

Oh, and I rather be broke...

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
He is actually a very good looking guy, some might say.
[video=youtube;9mIBKifOOQQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIBKifOOQQ[/video]

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
He is fiiiiiiiiiine

He is actually a very good looking guy, some might say.
[video=youtube;9mIBKifOOQQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIBKifOOQQ[/video]

He is that s why he can pull off that look (well, in the fashion world at least).

May 29, 2006
Another thing they should have in every shop is that Dr Seuss book, Snitches. It about these animals who all get this star put on their bellies to look cool and then have to have them removed to look cool.. back and forth and the only one happy is the guy who puts the stars off and on..

The lack of tattoos on women is one of the things I like about the DR. Around here, I met a girl a couple months ago with a Harry Potter tattoo..really?

polls_488px_Deathly_Hallows_Sign.svg_4246_245461_poll_xlarge.png

I was afraid it was some kind of White Supremacist symbol.

Aug 6, 2006
I am glad to see it is just make up.

I thought it was a permanent tattoo.

It is truly ghastly, but it is nice to know that it is just make up.

Aug 6, 2006
I think the reasoning behind getting a tattoo is that the first thought is to get some sort of tattoo. After deciding to get one, then they start thinking of the possibilities. It is not like they first come up with the thought,"I think a butterfly would look great right HERE".

Perhaps an exception would be the bikers who get a Harley Tattoo, though.