Crime and violence in DR, how will it stop?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Rick Snyder said:

I saw it on tv, but I changed channels right after I saw the guy being doused in gasoline. That type of savagery is common there, and no one intervened. For just about anything, they will either burn you alive or stone you to death. Those people are mean! No romanticizing those natives here. They are savages!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
That's nothing new.

Right here in the DR a Haitian was lynched about a week ago near Dajabon by a group of Dominican farmers. They accused the Haitian of steeling their cows (probably for consumption).

This is a very well known criminal activity of livestock being stolen along the border by starving Haitians. During the revolution back in February, a Dominican rancher went into Haiti to get his livestock that was stolen by a group of Haitian rebels, the guy ended up losing his life during a gun battle that erupted in the area he was wondering of Haiti.

I wonder if those other folks that were planning to steal more cows are thinking it over much more deeply now.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Nal0whs said:
That's nothing new.

Right here in the DR a Haitian was lynched about a week ago near Dajabon by a group of Dominican farmers. They accused the Haitian of steeling their cows (probably for consumption).

This is a very well known criminal activity of livestock being stolen along the border by starving Haitians. During the revolution back in February, a Dominican rancher went into Haiti to get his livestock that was stolen by a group of Haitian rebels, the guy ended up losing his life during a gun battle that erupted in the area he was wondering of Haiti.

I wonder if those other folks that were planning to steal more cows are thinking it over much more deeply now.

I in no way condone the stealing of the cows, but what a shame when human lives are taken because they desperately need to feed their families

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Argo said:
I in no way condone the stealing of the cows, but what a shame when human lives are taken because they desperately need to feed their families

Yes it is, those cow rancher or owners truly wanted to make sure their lively hood survives so that they and their children will be able to feed themselves.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
2 months

in jail. Can you see it? the habituals, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th timers will be licking their chops! Naive, innocent, and RAPED! BRUTALIZED! ROBBED of every thing they have! probably forced to make arrangements with family members to deposit money,etc. in exchange for being allowed to live. Oh, you think they will be shown to a nice warm bed and eat 3 meals a day and be "introduced" to the community elders?
Not only ARE

YOU KIDDING!!??? But GET REAL!!!. OH, yeah: YOU FIRST!!!

LOVE, JOHN

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
duhtree said:
in jail. Can you see it? the habituals, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th timers will be licking their chops! Naive, innocent, and RAPED! BRUTALIZED! ROBBED of every thing they have! probably forced to make arrangements with family members to deposit money,etc. in exchange for being allowed to live. Oh, you think they will be shown to a nice warm bed and eat 3 meals a day and be "introduced" to the community elders?
Not only ARE

YOU KIDDING!!??? But GET REAL!!!. OH, yeah: YOU FIRST!!!

LOVE, JOHN

Fine then, I guess most people are going to have to take things into their own hands as Dominicans and foreigners on this island are being forced to do everyday as things get more dangerous because people suddenly oppose the one action that would knock crime down quickly.

I mean, if anybody was willing to round up all the Aids victims at the beginning of the epidemic and killed them, all the aids victims today would have been spared from getting and suffering from that disease, but it would never had been feasible because of people like the one's here. Thus, today go and tell the millions of HIV and AIDS infected people that the reason they are going to die from that disease is because people like you did not allowed for it to be eradicated in the quickest and best way possible.

Sacrify a few for the benefit of most, is that too much to ask? And yes, I'll even volunteer to be the first one to be jailed, I'll make hundreds of thread of the horrors of Dominican jails afterwards and maybe, just maybe I'll deter any would be criminal that happen to be lurking in my DR1 threads of my jail experience!

And since its only 2 months due to being innocent, one can only wonder what it would have been if one is guilty! Yikes, is mugging that gringo on the malecon worth it?

Gee, I don't think so...

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Nal0whs said:
Sacrify a few for the benefit of most, is that too much to ask? And yes, I'll even volunteer to be the first one to be jailed,

Great!!!

Then they can round you up too as one "of the Aids victims." Then we won't have to read any more of your pointless drivel!

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Crime Increase is Overblown

I assume everyone is well aware that the increase of 'high-profile' crimes went into gear just as the new government took over and the old government (read: a semi-narco state) went into the shadows. Regular
run of the mill crimes have not increased dramatically. Suspiciously, only
those high-profile crimes such as kidnappings, assasinations and attempts, etc., are the ones that are up and just coincidentally the ones that take
up the front pages of the media.

I have no doubt those behind this increase are the PRD's PPH faction which
Hipolito Mejia headed for the past 4 years for the great misfortune of this
sadly and historically mistreated people. With time, this will subside; I hope!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
CyaBye3015 said:
Great!!!

Then they can round you up too as one "of the Aids victims." Then we won't have to read any more of your pointless drivel!

What happened to your rhetoric?

I mean, didn't you posted this further up the thread:
Nal0whs, I doubt anyone in their right mind alignes their point of view with your vision!!!

I mean, to say that and then suggest my very own medicine to me is like contradicting what you preach!

And BTW, just how you find it justifiable for myself to be whisk away, the sameway I find it justifiable for those criminals to be taught a lesson. Of course there are going to be some innocent people caught in it, but that's the price for the safety of the masses.

Just how you want to quiet me because I profess and indulge in my right of freedom of speech.

Hurray! You are finally getting it!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Nal0whs said:
What happened to your rhetoric?

I mean, didn't you posted this further up the thread:

I mean, to say that and then suggest my very own medicine to me is like contradicting what you preach!

And BTW, just how you find it justifiable for myself to be whisk away, the sameway I find it justifiable for those criminals to be taught a lesson. Of course there are going to be some innocent people caught in it, but that's the price for the safety of the masses.

Just how you want to quiet me because I profess and indulge in my right of freedom of speech.

Hurray! You are finally getting it!

If someone besides Nal0whs understands what he/she is saying here, please explain it to me!

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
When fighting organized crime . . . . . . not petty theifs . . . .

Every one should own a gun and organize and track down the safe houses and make sure they are identified and shamed if not requireing liquidation (when not resisting). It's hard to be in on a gang like that with out one neighbor knowing, talking and idetifying makes the word a better place.

-Lee

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Crime in Las Terrenas

I just found out (I am in Michigan) that the owner of a hardware store in Las Terrenas was shot and killed, along with the watchman by robbers that had entered his store recently. Everyone was outraged since this was a well liked and respected businessman. I am deeply saddened and just as outraged. I knew the guy (his name is Abundio Polanco) and often went to his store for all of our tool supplies.

Does anyone know anything else regarding this crime? Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Juniper

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
We do realize that another name for prison is "crime school". . . .right? If the guy was innocent at the beginning of the 2 months the odds of him being a criminal by the time he gets out are pretty high.

Monday pickpocketing 101

Tuesday purse snatching101

wednesday kidnapping. . . . . . .

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Why The Man Stole The Cow.

Ever since new government went into effect and before prices have been rising on everything including basic food staples. If I feel the pinch then I am certain those living in the barrio feel it. Fact is they are starving. It isn't the fault of Leonel but it is a fact here in the present. And then the dollar drops substantially and those remittances from abroad suddenly are not doing the job. If I lived in the barrio and I wasnt making it for my family on my meager earnings, then I would be a thief also. I would do whatever I had to do to feed my family. That is a fact.

I personally will be fine with the situation the way it is and so will all of you. But are we to say burn these poor people alive. Are we still, as human beings, so barbaric.

The problem with the entire world is the state of the distribution of wealth. The reason we have terrorism is this distribution of wealth. Most of us here know that...even if we choose not to admit it. Even though we choose to do and say what we may to protect what we have. Well, at least sometimes talking in such evil terminology makes us feel better, safer, more in control.

My question is just...to The Haves....to The Wealthy....when will you have enough? When will you have enough that it allows you to be a human being and allows you to say...okay, lets start changing the situation here so that these people can eat. Don't you think they need to eat...to drink clean water...to have a roof that does not soak the house when the rains come. Can they afford medicine. Can they afford to buy just basic furniture for their homes. Can they buy toilet paper, or toothpaste, or a diaper for their baby.

The focus of the economy has moved far to the right of those in the barrio. Those who control the markets could care less. Their new focus is on the dominicans returning from abroad with money. If the poor cannot keep up...F### Them. Price the products accordingly...so that those to the left will buy it. Some to the right can buy it. Most to the right cannot. But who cares. We just want to get ours while the getting is good.

New Dominicans/Wealthy Middle Class Low Middle Poor
[_________________] [__________][___________][_________________]

So, those to the far right sometimes have to steal. I would. I might even kill. You might also. Kill or be killed. Oh you say, "I would work" you are already working. I have friends in the barrio that make 4000 pesos a month building the fences, gates, etc. with iron. They are exhausted at the end of the day. Now my question is...can this guy actually feed his family of four on 4000 pesos? Of course, why do we have religion. Why do we have religion? We know it is a tool to keep the masses in check.

Interesting...Kill or be killed...I was thinking...that is the same way that the terrorist think. They feel that their entire culture is at stake. If they allow the USA and the west to continue the way they have been, they fear that they will die off. So they decide to take a stand. They don't have super powerful bombs like the USA...but they do have the willingness to blow themselves up. That is pretty powerful.

Have you ever seen the movie Apocalype Now. Marlon Brando says at one point...he his talking about the North Vietnamese ability to go into a town and cut off all the arms of the little children who had been innoculated by the American troops....he says, "If I had 10 battalions of men like that, this war would be over very quickly". That is not an exact quote but pretty close. He goes on to talk about the Willingness of these men who have families, who are fathers to little children...their willingness to do that.

I tell people that I don't think the Iraq war can be won by the USA. I think the muslim world...and damn is the muslim world large or what...I think they believe that if the USA wins in Iraq then the USA will not be happy with just one country. The USA has in so many terms stated that their desire is to change the middle east...does that mean making it more like the west. I think the insurgents in Iraq are being funded from all over the muslim world. I think they will keep going to Iraq and keep going and keep going until they overturn the current government and the USA leaves. Just like Vietnam...only it is not a jungle and thus you don't see the massive casualities like you did in Vietnam. You would have to seal off the entire border and have a guard posted every so many feet. And that may not do the job. And then you would have to keep it like that forever. Well, that is an impossible feat...we know that.

We need to work as individuals in what little way we may...to help create a world where this type of thought does not need to exist. Where a man never has to choose a willingness to steal, or kill in order to survive. The problem lies within ourselves and the solution does also.

Otherwise we are destined to become a world where...I am sure you have seen the sci-fi movies about societies of the future that are in chaos. The USA will see terrorism on USA soil again.........and again.......and again. In fact terrorism will exist here also in the good ole DR. It will exist everywhere.
Will we destroy ourselves or at least create a world where we walk around contaminated from nuclear fallout...where masses of people die from chemical attacks.

The best way to start is to educate yourself. And then take what you know and try to make a connection with others. Try to understand and accept people for who they are regardless of color, race, religion, sexual preference, etc.

A man steals a cow and you lynch him? It is a damn cow. There are other more humane ways to handle the situation.

I encourage intelligent conversation.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Crime in Las Terrenas

Juniper said:
I just found out (I am in Michigan) that the owner of a hardware store in Las Terrenas was shot and killed, along with the watchman by robbers that had entered his store recently. Everyone was outraged since this was a well liked and respected businessman. I am deeply saddened and just as outraged. I knew the guy (his name is Abundio Polanco) and often went to his store for all of our tool supplies.

Does anyone know anything else regarding this crime? Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Juniper
Don't know if this is the same incident as I just arrived here but the reports I have heard was that there was a crime wave ( a few months back - but who knows how long ago that is a la Dominicana?) caused by the introduction of crack/cocaine. The federales were called in. About 15 arrests were made. Two people were shot by the police, including one teen. Lots of tormenturas went up on hotel windows. The French Consul came up for a meeting. All is calm and still now in this little international town. No apparant fear or worries.
mountain annie