Cruise Lines Give Up on Samana

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
The whales will be happy !!...

which is not such a bad thing in the end.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I do not think so.

Labadee, Haiti has less to offer and Royal Caribbean has made it one of its main port of destination for years.

Labadee and Samana are two different animals. Labadee is an enclave. Samana is a town. people going to Labadee do not even know that it is in Haiti. it is completely owned, lock stock , and barrel, by Royal Caribbean. the rules of engagement are different there.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Labadee and Samana are two different animals. Labadee is an enclave. Samana is a town. people going to Labadee do not even know that it is in Haiti. it is completely owned, lock stock , and barrel, by Royal Caribbean. the rules of engagement are different there.

We are not trying to argue who own the animals, but what animal has more to offer. If you compare both animals, Samana has so much more.

I just hope that the local politicians learn their lesson.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
How much was spend to build the new road going to Samana?

How much is the gov paying to the co. that built the road, due to the lack of use, much less toll $ coming in to recover investment [overstimated]

What could have been done inside Samana with that much money spend on the road? [that could generate income to the builder/developer, to recover investment]

if tourist were to come by "boat", why a road? Samana even have an airport [international I think]

Was there any other reason to build the road, other than increase tourism?

Maybe building roads is an easier than planning a holistic tourist community.

Cruise ships not arriving at Punta Cana yet?, why not?

Because there is no cruise ship port, and there is no town, you need more than just a beach.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Dominican taxi drivers, vendors, and other locals are not civilized enough to even come close to cruise ship passengers. Anything they do is so annoying so the passengers just want to go back to the ship as fast as possible. The cruise port in DR must be fenced off from the surrounding area, like Lebadee.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Dominican taxi drivers, vendors, and other locals are not civilized enough to even come close to cruise ship passengers. Anything they do is so annoying so the passengers just want to go back to the ship as fast as possible. The cruise port in DR must be fenced off from the surrounding area, like Lebadee.

Reality? It will take 10+ years to make Samana a viable cruise ship destination. This does not apply to all Dominicans, believe me there are some bery smart cookies out there, but in general Dominicans can screw up a wet dream. Everyone is so intent on getting their piece of the pie that no one ends up with the pie. It will take a government action to clean up, put rules in place, and build the infrastructure to bring in the tourists. It's still my personal opinion, but like Barahona and other places, I still believe that the those with interest in Punta Cana will not allow the competition. Politicians will be bought off until there is a will to make this happen. Just an opinion.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
It will take a government action to clean up, put rules in place
DR already has enough rules and laws, the problem is that rules and laws are never enforced in DR, and I don't see any DR politicians that have balls to start enforcing them in the near future.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
How much was spend to build the new road going to Samana?

How much is the gov paying to the co. that built the road, due to the lack of use, much less toll $ coming in to recover investment [overstimated]

What could have been done inside Samana with that much money spend on the road? [that could generate income to the builder/developer, to recover investment]

if tourist were to come by "boat", why a road? Samana even have an airport [international I think]

Was there any other reason to build the road, other than increase tourism?

Maybe building roads is an easier than planning a holistic tourist community.

Cruise ships not arriving at Punta Cana yet?, why not?

Probably the lack of facilities and committment by the Dominican government to build a pier has given the Cruise lines reason to avoid Samana. Perhaps the cost of tours from the Cruise ship was not worth it for the tourists
There is certainly enough in the area for a day off the ship, such as, Limon Falls, Zip lining, Playa Rincon, Playa Valle, Las Terrenas beaches and restaurants. Perhaps the costs of coming into the DR were prohibitive like it is on the taxes for flights into the airports. It is a shame that the DR gov has reacted to slowly to the problem in Samana. It will be a battle to get the Cruise lines to come back. To answer your question regarding the new roads. They were necessary to attract tourists and locals from Santo Domingo to the Samana Peninsula. Also the airport at El Catey has been slow to develop because of the lack of large all inclusive resorts in the area. It was necessary, however for the DR gov to make these investments for future growth. It is difficult to grow tourism in Samana when garbage washes up next to the Malecon and very little is done to solve the problem on an on going basis. It is evident that if you can't solve the simple things to build tourism than the bigger problems will be almost impossilbe to overcome.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and POP has the new port coming...

some cruise lines have made a commitment to that one.... they may not need two stops in RD

The 'piece of the pie - no pie left' comment is so accurate...... so Dominican

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
It is difficult to grow tourism in Samana when garbage washes up next to the Malecon
Dominicans don't see garbage. Rich people who live in half-million dollar apartments in the center of Santo Domingo, they don't pay attention to the garbage next to their buildings like it doesn't exist. Ask them about garbage.... what garbage? Ah, that garbage... that's nothing, no importa... This problem can't be solved until some foreign company (like Royal Caribbean) will fence off the piece of land (like they did it in Haiti), clean it up and deny access for locals.

Last edited:

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
I do know what happened in POP many years ago. However, the real "Samanenses" are educated, polite and speak English. I cannot imagine them being the root cause.

I can, however, well imagine other person who have arrived in Saman? to exploit the cruise liners. As a poster above has said, it is possible that the Taxi Association is also a cause for the deletion of Carnival.

All told, I think there are other reasons.
1) No deep draught anchorage close to land.
2) Exploitation of tourists with no thought as to "tomorrow" ,,,ie, no education of tour guides and service providers that emphasized: "Look, these people talk to other people and they fill out forms about how they were received here in Saman?....It is better to have 'half a loaf today and not no loaf tomorrow'....well they are now with no loaf
3) As also mentioned, they need to clean up their acts...or perhaps stage more typical activities, not hokey, made-up "folklore" but the real Samanense cultural activities. I have seen them and they are awesome. (even staged, they would be interesting)

Now we know why Maimon will be private, closed to the non-tourist public, and successful....as is that place over in Haiti.

Cordially,

HB

You mean there is a private beach in Maimon?

As far as I know DR constitution [article 15?] does not allow that, beaches are public domain.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We are not trying to argue who own the animals, but what animal has more to offer. If you compare both animals, Samana has so much more.

I just hope that the local politicians learn their lesson.

in this day and age, ports do not need to have much to offer. no port has anything like the ship does, in terms of food, drinks, shopping, nor entertainment . cruise ships are no longer transportation. they are the destinations. when the ship syops at an island port, it is just to break monotony, and for tourists to say they stopped in Barbados. what the islands have to do is just to make the stop as least annoying as possible. it does not have to be spectacular.