Cruise Lines Give Up on Samana

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Dominicans don't see garbage. Rich people who live in half-million dollar apartments in the center of Santo Domingo, they don't pay attention to the garbage next to their buildings like it doesn't exist. Ask them about garbage.... what garbage? Ah, that garbage... that's nothing, no importa... This problem can't be solved until some foreign company (like Royal Caribbean) will fence off the piece of land (like they did it in Haiti), clean it up and deny access for locals.

They do this already, its called an AI Resort. Thats exactly what Labadee Haiti is, a resort owned and operated by Royal Caribbean. The only difference is your only access is by one of their ships. No other cruise line docks there.
I first visited there in ?97 before the resort was built, but they were talking about it then.

As far as Samana is concerned, the Dumbinicans bit the hand that was feeding them, so they pulled out, and hopefully they don?t do the same in Maimon. But unfortuneately, they just don?t get it and probably won?t either......my thoughts not yours......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You mean there is a private beach in Maimon?
As far as I know DR constitution [article 15?] does not allow that, beaches are public domain.

beach is not the same as port. there is no public access to the port in POP either. and no worries, the locals will be able to go there. the port will need cleaners and low level personnel.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I've been on probably five cruises in total with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. The ports are an attraction that the passengers look forward for even though the ships are well equipped. Pulling into the ports is an adventure in itself because I always had the outside cabin to enjoy the views.

Observing the pilot boats approaching the ship is something exciting to me because only they understand the intricacies involved in docking these humongous cities on the ocean. Its also the law for insurance purposes!

The port offers the local people and their culture that you cannot find on board. If one orders the plethora of activities available from the cruise, then one can partake in activities like snorkeling, diving, horse back riding, exploring caves, historical sites, discounted shopping, bird watching, hiking, ATV exploration, cycling, and of course the knowledge of the host country.

Carnival Cruise Lines even own their own destination stop at some of the ports. The cruises operate on thin margins and the ports are an added income contributor - participation in guided tours. :)

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Dominican taxi drivers, vendors, and other locals are not civilized enough to even come close to cruise ship passengers. Anything they do is so annoying so the passengers just want to go back to the ship as fast as possible. The cruise port in DR must be fenced off from the surrounding area, like Lebadee.

The gov is going to the root of most problems in DR, in the thread below I posted some links about what the gov is doing.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/138093-flipped-schools.html

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was wondering why they were stopping, and started reading some cruise ship passenger reviews here:

NCL - Dawn to Saman - April 2009 - Review of Samana Province, Dominican Republic - TripAdvisor

I think this explains a lot - passengers being pounced on, lots of trash on the streets, people feeling scared to walk around. It's fine for people to say that Dominicans don't notice trash, but in my experience they do notice money. I can only hope that somehow the message gets across that if you hassle tourists and expect them to walk in filth, they will stop coming. It will be interesting to see if the same lesson is learnt in the Colonial Zone, where the streets are still full of trash despite Danilo's pledge to make it the next big tourist attraction.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was wondering why they were stopping, and started reading some cruise ship passenger reviews here:

NCL - Dawn to Saman - April 2009 - Review of Samana Province, Dominican Republic - TripAdvisor

I think this explains a lot - passengers being pounced on, lots of trash on the streets, people feeling scared to walk around. It's fine for people to say that Dominicans don't notice trash, but in my experience they do notice money. I can only hope that somehow the message gets across that if you hassle tourists and expect them to walk in filth, they will stop coming. It will be interesting to see if the same lesson is learnt in the Colonial Zone, where the streets are still full of trash despite Danilo's pledge to make it the next big tourist attraction.

people will have to make a serious effort to bring it to the attention of Dominicans that trash is offensive to certain people, notably foreigners. i posted once before that i once bought 20 bottles of water for a group of us who were playing dominoes on a hot summer's afternoon. there were regular manual labor types, a few teachers, two lawyers, and this guy who was very well dressed, whom they called "licenciado". every last one of these guys threw their empty bottles right on the ground, even though there is a dumpster 10 feet away.

May 5, 2007
people will have to make a serious effort to bring it to the attention of Dominicans that trash is offensive to certain people, notably foreigners. i posted once before that i once bought 20 bottles of water for a group of us who were playing dominoes on a hot summer's afternoon. there were regular manual labor types, a few teachers, two lawyers, and this guy who was very well dressed, whom they called "licenciado". every last one of these guys threw their empty bottles right on the ground, even though there is a dumpster 10 feet away.

A deposit law would seemingly cure that problem quickly

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
what does the flipped schools thread have to do with this matter?

just askin'....

The links I included in the "fliped schools" thread [about education] were in answer to YOUR comments, but you did not pay attention as usual.

Now, posters in this thread pointed the ROOT for the cruise ships to "give up on samana", the lack of EDUCATION of local people. Actually the root for most problems in DR and the rest of the world.

capeesh, entiendes?, guess no.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The links I included in the "fliped schools" thread [about education] were in answer to YOUR comments, but you did not pay attention as usual.

Now, posters in this thread pointed the ROOT for the cruise ships to "give up on samana", the lack of EDUCATION of local people. Actually the root for most problems in DR and the rest of the world.

capeesh, entiendes?, guess no.

no; i do not understand. cruise ships function properly in other parts of the caribbean. do you think it is because of education? do you think that the level of education in Haiti is that much higher than in the DR? no? then how is it the cruise port there is not in danger of closing?

entiendes? i guess no.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
beach is not the same as port. there is no public access to the port in POP either. and no worries, the locals will be able to go there. the port will need cleaners and low level personnel.

beach and coast is mentioned in DR constitution as public domain

now where exactly is located the port you mention ? outside a beach or coast?

how exactly di they manage to make it legally private? i'm curious

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
beach and coast is mentioned in DR constitution as public domain
now where exactly is located the port you mention ? outside a beach or coast?
how exactly di they manage to make it legally private? i'm curious

port is a government domain and the access from land is limited. you can swim to the shore, thou. where is the port located? but baby, you know all there is to know about DR. i saw the note on that in a constitution. much respected document, that.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
port is a government domain and the access from land is limited. you can swim to the shore, thou. where is the port located? but baby, you know all there is to know about DR. i saw the note on that in a constitution. much respected document, that.

didn't you say port is private, that is different than gov domain, imo

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Any chance RC will move to the dock Carnival is making in POP? Its not uncommon to see Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean at the same dock.