D.R. bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
it must be hard to adjust when you come from highly ordered cultures.

Which then begs the questions: What did they hope to find when venturing down here? Weren't they aware of the fact that frontier life is hard right now just like it was in the Age of Sail?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
So, what is a perfect place?
What can be so perfect that after a while you don't start to see things in it you don't like?
Every time a society is getting close to the so called "perfection", revolutions hit and they have to start all over.
When you finally find the "perfect" woman or man, almost immediately you start to wonder if you could do better.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I agree with all of you. My relationship with the island is a little closer than most. But my relationship with this island is a love/hate relationship. Basically, I love it when im away and miss the place when I'm gone, but then find myself hating the place sometimes when im here too long. I remedy this by running to the airport and leaving. But then i find that if im gone too long, I start to miss it again. It's a schizophrenic relationship that I have with the island. Sometimes I can't get out of here fast enough, and sometimes I cant get back fast enough. Its a lot like marriage. Frank

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Which then begs the questions: What did they hope to find when venturing down here? Weren't they aware of the fact that frontier life is hard right now just like it was in the Age of Sail?

NS, in tourism vernacular, there are two types of people. allocentrics, who are adventurous, and love to be off the beaten path, and psychocentrics, who love to travel, but travel in a bubble. those are the guys who get upset because the locals do not speak english, or because there is no Burger King in walking distance, and that people approach them to beg for something. they want to be away, but be at home at the same time. those are the types that go for the comfort, regimen, and security of enclave hotels and cruise ships.

having said that, how does it apply to this discussion? well, there are people here who live here for reasons of economics, or criminal records, or personal safety, or whatever. many of them do not want to be away from home, but practicality dictates it. those are one group that finds it hard to adjust. others just have a very cosmopolitan range of intertests, and the DR is not exactly on the cutting edge of modernity.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i find it interesting that the optimists always seem to get their rocks off by bashing the bashers. it's ironic how full of negativity they are. maybe it's a case of pot calling kettle back. one has to dislike something.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I frankly think what you call BASHING, othere people call it HELPING THE COUNTRY BECOMING A BETTER COUNTRY1 I think people are trying to make the country worth living. Period! People have the right to critisize the direction the country is taking, especially with drugs all over the place.
That is not bashing, bro! It is eye opening, helping!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i find it interesting that the optimists always seem to get their rocks off by bashing the bashers. it's ironic how full of negativity they are. maybe it's a case of pot calling kettle back. one has to dislike something.

i hate everything. my nickname in school was Scrooge. for very good reasons.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
what i have noticed is the tendency of the newbies to regularly start threads on how awful it is to complain about DR and how all of us bashers should go home if we do not like it here. what can i say, i dislike DR. i see bad things and call them out. occasionally i give credit when credit's due. understand that many folks here are not the kind to take the foolery and discomfort with their mouth shut. you have the right to sing praise about DR, i have the right to bring it down. i show genuine interest in this wretched country. i read newspapers daily. i espeak espany. i take interest in the politics and daily life. i eat dominican food. i bash DR. it comes neatly together. maybe you are the type who gives another cheek when hit. what i give is a kick in the nuts.

The only thing new about me is my name on here. I been living here since 2008. Started in Santiago in Gurabo then Los Jardines. Now I live in Santo Domingo. Like I said I'm not naive, but its not a living hell like some people claim it to be. I been to worse countries before.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
it never fails. most of these defenders of the faith are people who have had a few months here, are enjoying the beach and the fun times, but have never had a real life situation wherein they have to deal with the real crap. i pay good money to live in a nice apartment, but every time i go outdoors, and have to deal with the piles of garbage in the parking lot, i wonder what people like these are looking at.

I lived in Baltimore before and the streets are just as dirty. I'm not saying the place is paradise, but its not the worse country in the world either. I'm sure if you only visited Detroit, Oakland, and Chicago as a foreigner you would think America is a warzone.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
i hate everything. my nickname in school was Scrooge. for very good reasons.

Yeah, but at the very least we know you're putting your grain of salt to improve things (without mentioning that hating with witticisms can be an art form). It's the bashers from a distance which I find tiresome and annoying, since it seems like they're doing so out of spite.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Lol DR isnt the land of milk and honey.
So why is it wrong to have some negativity?
I can go negative about all the places i have been, all possitive would be ignorant :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The only thing new about me is my name on here. I been living here since 2008. Started in Santiago in Gurabo then Los Jardines. Now I live in Santo Domingo. Like I said I'm not naive, but its not a living hell like some people claim it to be. I been to worse countries before.

newbie in a sense of dr1 newbie :) i have noticed you mentioned you have been here for 4 years :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, but at the very least we know you're putting your grain of salt to improve things (without mentioning that hating with witticisms can be an art form). It's the bashers from a distance which I find tiresome and annoying, since it seems like they're doing so out of spite.

NS, my approach is different, because i have the advantage of being able to fit in far easier than most people. i am an island man. that makes it easier. when a foreigner sees a chayote for the first time, he asks what it is. i ask for a recipe. when a gringo sits to play dominoes with a group of Dominicans, it is an uneasy affair, with the locals trying to make him feel at ease, and welcome. when i play with guys here, i cuss them out for making a bad shot, and they return the favor. i am home, and have to make the best of things. guys with several options can pack up and head to Nicaragua.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
I don't live in the DR but I bash all the countries where I have lived including my own :)
I am well traveled, I have lived out of my country since I am 18 and very happy.
No place is perfect, constructive criticism never hurts.:bunny:

Constructive criticism is fine. I bash the U.S. too especially the IRS. The more you make, the harder it is to keep your money. I'm referring to the folks that are always negative, never positive. Even I complain about the bastards at the grocery store thinking they can cut in front of me in line.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Constructive criticism is fine. I bash the U.S. too especially the IRS. The more you make, the harder it is to keep your money. I'm referring to the folks that are always negative, never positive. Even I complain about the bastards at the grocery store thinking they can cut in front of me in line.

little things like those can make certain types people angry to the point where things are unbearable

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
I frankly think what you call BASHING, othere people call it HELPING THE COUNTRY BECOMING A BETTER COUNTRY1 I think people are trying to make the country worth living. Period! People have the right to critisize the direction the country is taking, especially with drugs all over the place.
That is not bashing, bro! It is eye opening, helping!

Well since people are not getting exactly what I'm trying to say, I'll make it easier. I'm talking about people like Hernandez. Never positive.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well since people are not getting exactly what I'm trying to say, I'll make it easier. I'm talking about people like Hernandez. Never positive.

He's positive when he talks about Sweden, even if he confuses it with Norway.

Status
Not open for further replies.