Debunking Seven Myths about Living in the Dominican Republic

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Still remembered, still missed! More than five years since we lost Ginnie, I often wonder what she would have thought about certain events and situations and miss discussing them with her. Her insight was remarkable, not to mention her sense of humour. It's such a shame we never got to read a sequel to her "Mad Dogs and English Couple."

The Expat FAQs book is still selling well and mostly stands the test of time - except for the residency bit which has changed so much since its publication. I don't have sales figures for the Culture Smart Guide but practically all the information there is still relevant.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
written a while back by own Lambada........

LtSteve should read it.... the gated community part.
with which I totally agree.... just hang a 'Rob Me' sign on the door.

She had a good handle on things.

Her medical comments would be different today..... even more positive
but the others hold true for the most part.

Bill,
If what the writer is saying is true, why does an area like La Mulata in Sosua have such a bad rap?I've checked out property in that area, including houses with a high degree of security. Some sections are beautiful and it has a large expat community. Is the crime there perceived or real? Maybe a DR1 member who lives there can provide me with some background.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
#3 No Road Rage? Try telling that to the Dominican beauty queens father in Santiago or the family of the guy in Higuey or was shot and killed for scratching someones SUV.
I don't think she was wrong since I understand it was written a while back but things have changed. The level of violence in general is way up from when I first started coming here and even from when I moved here. Still a heck of a lot safer than parts of Chicago though, 51 homicides in January in Chicago (city/state of strict gun laws)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Everybody feels differently about this Eco, Mulata has had its share of problems, certainly.

The same people who warn against wearing fancy watches and jewelry in public will say 'Go to a gated community'.
What's the difference?

We did have a few active posters from La Mulata.
Hopefully , they'll answer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bill,
If what the writer is saying is true, why does an area like La Mulata in Sosua have such a bad rap?I've checked out property in that area, including houses with a high degree of security. Some sections are beautiful and it has a large expat community. Is the crime there perceived or real? Maybe a DR1 member who lives there can provide me with some background.

Adding further-

I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement about the housing issue.

Of our 2 recent problems in Cabrera, one was in a gated community and one was in the campo
So , who can tell?

One thing I like like about the campo is that your neighbors are not just the ex-pat group.
All my workers live within a small radius of my house.
They pass regularly - on their days off, etc. - and alert me to any goings on in the area.
The sense of community is a comfort.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
written a while back by own Lambada........

LtSteve should read it.... the gated community part.
with which I totally agree.... just hang a 'Rob Me' sign on the door.

She had a good handle on things.

Her medical comments would be different today..... even more positive
but the others hold true for the most part.

Interesting article. I don't agree with the author. You have a much higher chance if you have a free standing house. In a gated condo complex, such as, Don Cesear, in Las Terrenas, you actually have a gate and there is always people and activity. This is unlike a free standing house in the countryside which is isolated and unprotected. My friends in LT who owned houses ALL had problems with burgarlies. A robber is going to go to the place with least resistance and no one around. The author is full of __it.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't agree that things are worse in gated communities. For example, my cousin lived in Gazcue, in a non gated building, and we heard about people being mugged. Then it happened to us! We were both mugged..on separate occasions. There was also one time when a burglar climbed up to the top of the building. Another issue was that if you put anything out of the door, like a doormat or wall decoration thingy, you name it, you know it would be gone in two days tops, guaranteed!

She got fed up and moved to a gated building and the difference is like night a day. She hasn't had an issue in years she's living there. Anything she leaves out the door is there the next day. And the neighbors are not nosy. There is no loud music, no people "chilling" downstairs.
They have two doormen, one for the day and one for the night. When you come over and they don't know you, they ask you wh you're visiting. Interestingly, the doormen are NOT "Guachis"!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
La Mulata, I lived there and had to kill a burglar that split my head open with a Machete. Living in a gated community now and my gun is drawing dust in a drawer.

No comparison, a gated community with GOOD security trumps all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It really depends on the area and situation, some people like gated some don't. Personally I like non gated living and doubt I would ever live in a gated area here.

Glad you are here to tell the tale Sky!!

Good read, sounds like a nice lady.

I only disagree with living in a non gated community, you would have to be an IDIOT to do that.

Hardly,

can you explain yourself further.??

I'm curious as to what changed your mind

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
She knew more than you will ever know

Interesting article. I don't agree with the author. You have a much higher chance if you have a free standing house. In a gated condo complex, such as, Don Cesear, in Las Terrenas, you actually have a gate and there is always people and activity. This is unlike a free standing house in the countryside which is isolated and unprotected. My friends in LT who owned houses ALL had problems with burgarlies. A robber is going to go to the place with least resistance and no one around. The author is full of __it.

Dont want to pee on your parade but...Weren't things disappearing from apartments in Don Caesar thanks to the cleaning staff or something for a while ? Not sure if it is true but that is what I have heard.

The queen of chisme :smoke:

Last edited:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
La Mulata, I lived there and had to kill a burglar that split my head open with a Machete. Living in a gated community now and my gun is drawing dust in a drawer.

No comparison, a gated community with GOOD security trumps all.

Whoa!!!!!!!. Point well taken. La Mulata is definitely off my property purchase list. My friends with houses in Luperon are plagued with petty theft but never encounter violent crime. I like the place for its people and tranquility. The only drawback for me is the long drive into POP for groceries, banking, etc. I suspect there may be differences in the level and types of crime in cities and small towns in the DR as it is in North America. I live in a small town in Canada where violence is rare and murders are even rarer. I don't lock my door at night and I leave thing out all the time without worrying about theft. My neighbours look out for me when I'm gone. Not a perfect place bu close to it. I suspect my chances of finding anyplace here like that are slim to nil.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I like the article because it was easy to read and straight to the point. The article is great advice for anyone thinking about moving to the Dominican Republic.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Whoa!!!!!!!. Point well taken. La Mulata is definitely off my property purchase list. My friends with houses in Luperon are plagued with petty theft but never encounter violent crime. I like the place for its people and tranquility. The only drawback for me is the long drive into POP for groceries, banking, etc. I suspect there may be differences in the level and types of crime in cities and small towns in the DR as it is in North America. I live in a small town in Canada where violence is rare and murders are even rarer. I don't lock my door at night and I leave thing out all the time without worrying about theft. My neighbours look out for me when I'm gone. Not a perfect place bu close to it. I suspect my chances of finding anyplace here like that are slim to nil.

i once planned to drive from NYC to Ottawa to visit my cousin. i asked him what time he got home from work. he asked me why i needed to know. i told him that i wanted to know what time he got home, so i would know what time to set out, since i did not relish the idea of sitting in front of his gate until he got home. he told me not to worry, since the front door would be open. he said that Canadians believed they were locking themselves in, not locking others out.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I haven't!!! I love my barrio!

Positive proof, that despite the problems here, if we're all pressed, we grudgingly admit there are aspects of this place we dearlylove that keep us here or keep us coming back. Not Eden, just a modified version of it!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I haven't!!! I love my barrio!

Positive proof, that despite the problems here, if we're all pressed, we grudgingly admit there are aspects of this place we dearly love that keep us here or keep us coming back. Not Eden, just a modified version of it!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Don't know why I got two for one. Pressed submit once. Doesn't matter. It's a point well with stressing.