Debunking Seven Myths about Living in the Dominican Republic

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016
Interesting article. I don't agree with the author. You have a much higher chance if you have a free standing house. In a gated condo complex, such as, Don Cesear, in Las Terrenas, you actually have a gate and there is always people and activity. This is unlike a free standing house in the countryside which is isolated and unprotected. My friends in LT who owned houses ALL had problems with burgarlies. A robber is going to go to the place with least resistance and no one around. The author is full of __it.

Exactly, she was 100% wrong on this.

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016
i once planned to drive from NYC to Ottawa to visit my cousin. i asked him what time he got home from work. he asked me why i needed to know. i told him that i wanted to know what time he got home, so i would know what time to set out, since i did not relish the idea of sitting in front of his gate until he got home. he told me not to worry, since the front door would be open. he said that Canadians believed they were locking themselves in, not locking others out.

It is totally true. I never lock my doors, never had a problem. Vastly different in the DR with the iron bars, multiple dogs and watchymen.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
we had a burglar yesterday, got the tv, laptop, class ring 6000 pesos and some other stuff. I will kill them if I see them. broke into business next door to get into apartment

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
we had a burglar yesterday, got the tv, laptop, class ring 6000 pesos and some other stuff. I will kill them if I see them. broke into business next door to get into apartment

I hope you catch them. We have at least one or two burglaries a week on my street thanks to the *ssholes who run the
local drug house on my block. Their "clients" are very bold.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I hope you catch them. We have at least one or two burglaries a week on my street thanks to the *ssholes who run the
local drug house on my block. Their "clients" are very bold.

yeah police came and took fingerprints. i bet they stick them in a file

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Very few Dominicans want to live in a free standing house without neighbors nearby. They like having close by neighbors and watch out for each other.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very few Dominicans want to live in a free standing house without neighbors nearby. They like having close by neighbors and watch out for each other.

True and that's why we live where we do, plus we can walk to either school in less than five minutes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Initially, I was enthralled with the idea....
But now........... yes, better than any watchman or gate

these are not 'in your face' neighbors but we share a common goal - safety

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lived close and tight in a barrio for a year. both neighbours were stealing power from us. never again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
lived close and tight in a barrio for a year. both neighbours were stealing power from us. never again.

I have no power to steal.... closed system

we share a pozo/well

read my careful, cautious comments........

No need for neighbor animosity here

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
'Here' meant here in my barrio...

not chastising you , meaning 'here on DR1'
Just to be clear

sorry for the confusion - if there was

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have to disagree with #2. I would never live in this Country except in a GATED RESORT COMMUNITY. We have great resort security, trustworthy, and well trained.

Maybe a lot of us came here to get away from the constant fear, not to hide behind walls and tremble in fear!
Der Fish

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
our neighbors are all family for blocks. we are lucky

Doesn't mean they won't steal you power, in fact they will probably feel they are entitled. Having said that I have never lived in a gated community and have very few problems.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Doesn't mean they won't steal you power, in fact they will probably feel they are entitled. Having said that I have never lived in a gated community and have very few problems.
Our family would never steal from another family member,power or anything. if they need it we give it. no one takes anything