Debunking Seven Myths about Living in the Dominican Republic

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Gated community, big no, no for me.

Barrio or free-standing house.
I like my privacy.
But security wise it works both ways,
In a barrio people will look out for each other. But as the saying goes, there is no treason without trust.
Also in a free-standing house, IF ( please note the big if ) you get burgeled/house-jacked, you then have the option of feeding the tigres to you're dogs or burying them in the conuco, without witnesses ;) ;) ;)
I dont want no family members hasseling me cos I blew the brains out of their un-educated thieving son..... thank you very much.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Lived in LaMulata for approx. 6 months in a supposed gated community, one security guard at night that was elderly and one young one who made rounds if he wasn't sleeping in a nice comfy place close to our home. The gated community backed up
to undeveloped, jungle area that was or is still owned by Strauss family. No working lights in that area. Had our electricity go out while everyone else's was on (there were only 5 houses being lived in)...called our electrician and low and behold someone had cut the power at the box...he repaired it within a half hour. Two weeks later same thing happened but this time the entire box was cut and removed......We moved the next week!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Whenever gringos tell me how wondair La Mulata is, I make a face. It is the least safe place in all of Sosua, this dusty whore town I call home. All of the ladrones know that it is all gringos. Dogs don't matter. When I was looking for a place to live, everybody and their brother tried to sell me on La Mulata and no way Jose.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
i will always disagree about the gated community part. ironically lambada herself lived in the most prestigious area of town and her neighbors were anything but regular Dominicans.

#2 and #3 are off

#2, it is like saying "who will win the revers lottery".
Just because you have not been clubbed over the head yet,does not mean you made the right choice. True, gate communities are expected to be rich targets, however, people outside of gate communities that thieves become aware of are no better off. It depends on target value, security and location.

#3 No one landing from another country having read #3 would expect to drive down a road at the speed limit and approach a bus/metro cresting the hill you are cresting on the wrong side of the road.

True 95% of this would not be considered "road rage". But it could be classified as madness (inability to tell right from wrong). First time I saw this I did a random probability calculation on how many times that could occur before a head on collision, and we all know it happens, often.

and don't even get me started about the traffic flow patterns at stop lights, anything you can imagine happens, and sometimes intentionally to bring a false claim / shakedown.

My nephew was there a couple months ago

Q) How long do you suppose it took for some motococho to crash into his door while he opened it, roll around on the ground like he was injured and progress into the police/claimant shakedown.... it did not work .... but for a vacationer or someone who does not know the system, time to turn your pockets inside out and leave.

A) A hand full of days after arriving.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Regarding living near friends and family. The Arabs have a saying, "Keep your hearts together and your tents apart". My four younger sister fight a lot so I agree with the Arabs. Also witnessed a lot of family fights during holidays and thought being an orphan ain't so bad!

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
gated comunity.. or not

Good read, sounds like a nice lady.

I only disagree with living in a non gated community, you would have to be an IDIOT to do that.

I've been here for more than 30 years, off and on, never lived in a gated community and never will. You have to integrate and live WITH the people, and not away hiding behind a wall.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've been here for more than 30 years, off and on, never lived in a gated community and never will. You have to integrate and live WITH the people, and not away hiding behind a wall.

You mean like most rich Dominicans. Wealth makes people more of a target, so it always makes sense to have good security and keep your wits about you. However, I alao don't live behind a big wall.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
i once planned to drive from NYC to Ottawa to visit my cousin. i asked him what time he got home from work. he asked me why i needed to know. i told him that i wanted to know what time he got home, so i would know what time to set out, since i did not relish the idea of sitting in front of his gate until he got home. he told me not to worry, since the front door would be open. he said that Canadians believed they were locking themselves in, not locking others out.

Don't have to lock your door in Ottawa, people roll-in the sidewalks at 19h. 😃

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Written, BEFORE, chincunguyu, and zika!!!!!

Group arrested on north coast yesterday for killing 3 foreigners.
see today's Diario Libre.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
another irony is that many of folks from the area where lambada lived are moving out to protected, exclusive communities outside of town. buahahaha.