Difficulties Using a Dominican Passport

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife, entering USA on her European passport was questioned why she didn’t bring her Dominican passport along (it had expired), and threatened to refuse entrance next time. She applied for a new dr passport just in case before her next trip.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My wife, entering USA on her European passport was questioned why she didn’t bring her Dominican passport along (it had expired), and threatened to refuse entrance next time. She applied for a new dr passport just in case before her next trip.

Sounds crazy...... my wife never renewed her dr passport, always uses the swiss one. And we travel to/through the US at least twice a year.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I know they couldn't. A US border agent at the airport once asked where I was coming from, and I said the Dominican Republic.

His response was, "Oh yeah, and where's that!?" as if it was such a far-fetched name of a country that it must be made up.

Nonetheless, many people couldn't locate China on a map but still have an idea in their minds of what a Chinese citizen should look like.

A US border agent asked me how come I was British if I was born in France.
I said I was born in Geneva ( like it says on my passport ).
He said duuh thats why i asked....... :speechles:speechles

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Immigration rules require Dominican citizens to enter and exit the country using their DR passport. Same as in the USA for American citizens.

This is how governments track the comings and goings of their citizens. With the database it is now pretty easy to see either by the lack of data or unmatched entry/exits which passport is being used. If the database at the airport notes DR citizenship (and there is no reason why it can't contain this info) then not having a DR passport if asked for one is yet another game of chance to be played when coming and going.

Odds of a problem, 1 in 10,000, 1 in 100,000, 1 in a 1,000,000, today, next month, next year, who knows, I certainly don't.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Immigration rules require Dominican citizens to enter and exit the country using their DR passport. Same as in the USA for American citizens.

This is how governments track the comings and goings of their citizens. With the database it is now pretty easy to see either by the lack of data or unmatched entry/exits which passport is being used. If the database at the airport notes DR citizenship (and there is no reason why it can't contain this info) then not having a DR passport if asked for one is yet another game of chance to be played when coming and going.

Odds of a problem, 1 in 10,000, 1 in 100,000, 1 in a 1,000,000, today, next month, next year, who knows, I certainly don't.

Nobody ever told us about this. What happens, entering and leaving the dr, is they ask to see dr cedula ( and i guess, swipe it ) and the foreign passport is stamped in and out just the same as a tourist or resident.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Sounds crazy...... my wife never renewed her dr passport, always uses the swiss one. And we travel to/through the US at least twice a year.

The next time she went, with her New DR passport (without visa) and her ESTA eligible european passport and nobody asked. I think it was capricho of the officer. Myself I flew once with a passport that was almost expired and the officer told me I had to have a passport with at least 3 (or 6, don’t remember) months before expiry date. That’s just not true. For ESTA travelers counts that you can fly until the last day your passport is valid. I tried to tell him that, but he insisted but of the goodness of his heart would let me in. Since they have the power to refuse entrance just because, I said thank you and moved on.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Husband is Dominican but European-looking - Dominicans often mistake him for a gringo, a Spaniard, an Italian... He has travelled extensively and never been treated as an anomaly by immigration officials.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Irrespective of what's morally right or wrong (or what's factually correct or merely politically correct), it's pretty obvious to me that most Americans and Europeans do in fact have at least a vague preconceived notion of what a Dominican looks like.

I´ve been to Europe twice and so far haven't found anyone who could just tell I was Dominican. As for Americans, I guess it depends. I've been to a bunch of places on the west coast, and people have no idea either. Many don't even know where the DR is.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Husband is Dominican but European-looking - Dominicans often mistake him for a gringo, a Spaniard, an Italian... He has travelled extensively and never been treated as an anomaly by immigration officials.

The only place I have traveled that inmigration tryed to sent me back in the next flight was Sint Maarten, but I knew they do that to Dominicans, and I was ready, I took it easy and answered all her questions. I went there using my Canadian Visa, she asked me like 4 times in diferents ways if I went to work to Canada, last time she asked I said i have a turist visa I can not work, if she would time the time to check stamps my visita are always for short period, then asked if my hotel was paid, wich was pay, then she went to the office to call the hotel with my reservation to ask, then cambaxk with a supervisor that stayed there waitching while she continue asking what I will do there, made me to show her the money I had, and to see my credit cards, and asking again if i went to work to canada, then they get tired and supervisor made a move with his hand telling let me go. That was only time that happend to me, even when I traveled to Argentina in 2017 was very smooth to be acepted, I went for 11 days and they wrote 20 days in my passport, just 5 days before my visa expired, then went to Paraguay as i was close in the 3 borders and we dont need visa to go there, returning to Argentina inmigration officer wrote in my pasaport 90 days and I was coming back to Dominican in 4 days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am going to give you some advice you really need to listen to. When you get DR citizenship the first thing to do after getting the Cedula is to get a DR Passport. Reason is that is when it is expected of you. Wait, and you might have to jump through more hoops even though you are in fact a citizen. Also if you are using a lawyer this is what he is getting paid for. Cedula and passport. And you get a lot more respect when you come and go from the DR with a passport issued here. The first time you get a passport there are hoops to jump through and must be done in SD. After that, renew anywhere like any other Dominican. First one is important.

I have the cedula already.... it comes with residency.. citizenship is a step higher
and read here how many DR citizens enter/exit w/ foreign passports

but certainly - I will look into it... per your suggestion

we have had this discussion in another thread - you must have missed it

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have the cedula already.... it comes with residency.. citizenship is a step higher
and read here how many DR citizens enter/exit w/ foreign passports

but certainly - I will look into it... per your suggestion

we have had this discussion in another thread - you must have missed it

The Cedula you have is not the one you will get when you get citizenship. Look at the back, it says No Vota or words to that effect. And it is a different color. A whole new ballgame when you are a citizen. There is a big difference what you can do with that Cedula and the one you get later.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have learned over the years that custom agents/immigration officers are not always the brightest bunch.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Absolutely untrue. My husband only travels with his American passport, his Dominican passport expired about 15 years ago. No one has ever asked him for it.

They track him by cedula. I know that because when we brought our car down, he had to prove how much time he’d spent in DR over the prior 2 years. He went to immigration in La Féria and they printed out everything for him from his cedula number

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A dual citizen can come into the DR with either passport. But sometimes they will ask for the DR one, I think just to check it.

Sep 4, 2012
Absolutely untrue. My husband only travels with his American passport, his Dominican passport expired about 15 years ago. No one has ever asked him for it.

They track him by cedula. I know that because when we brought our car down, he had to prove how much time he’d spent in DR over the prior 2 years. He went to immigration in La Féria and they printed out everything for him from his cedula number

How is the Cedula linked into this immigration process, IOWs, how would immigration know with certainty when he arrived and left the country by his Cedula?

That I know of, immigration does not ask for any Cedula when arriving or leaving the country, just Passports.

Sep 4, 2012
A US border agent asked me how come I was British if I was born in France.
I said I was born in Geneva ( like it says on my passport ).
He said duuh thats why i asked....... :speechles:speechles

Some aren't the brightest of stars :lick:

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Most Americans don't even know where the DR is and, even those that do, couldn't tell the difference between a Dominican, a Puerto Rican, or a Cuban. Dominicans vary widely in appearance.

That's cuz there ain't no difference. And you can throw coastal Venezuelans and Colombians into the same stew. Will taste the same.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
That's cuz there ain't no difference. And you can throw coastal Venezuelans and Colombians into the same stew. Will taste the same.
I have lived in both Colombia and the DR and I can assure you that there is a HUGE difference between Colombians and Dominicans.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I have lived in both Colombia and the DR and I can assure you that there is a HUGE difference between Colombians and Dominicans.

Yep. And not surprisingly, Colombia is rather leary of DR passport holders.