Difficulties Using a Dominican Passport

I have lived in both Colombia and the DR and I can assure you that there is a HUGE difference between Colombians and Dominicans.

I am living in Colombia now after ten years in the DR and yes, the difference between Colombians and Dominicans is indeed HUGE with Colombia being A MILLION TIMES BETTER on all levels. Better, more educated people, stronger and more advanced infrastructure, higher technology, less expensive to live, the list is endless.
I’ll still visit the DR once in a great while, but that’s it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How is the Cedula linked into this immigration process, IOWs, how would immigration know with certainty when he arrived and left the country by his Cedula?

That I know of, immigration does not ask for any Cedula when arriving or leaving the country, just Passports.

It may not be an ask situation, but it might be a requirement to avoid paying exit fees.

For example, it is necessary that a DR resident to produce a valid residency card or potentially pay an exit fee for an overstay upon leaving.

Likewise if a person was naturalized and has Dominican Citizenship, they could present their Dominican Cedula which is the version citizens get which does not have No Vota on the back and is indeed the proof you asked about regarding DR citizenship. It is all that most Dominicans have to prove citizenship.

That cedula would prove their citizenship upon leaving along with whatever passport they were using so they don't need to pay a potential exit fee for an overstay. No law requires Dominican Citizens to have and travel on a Dominican Passport that I am aware of.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
It may not be an ask situation, but it might be a requirement to avoid paying exit fees.

For example, it is necessary that a DR resident to produce a valid residency card or potentially pay an exit fee for an overstay upon leaving.

Likewise if a person was naturalized and has Dominican Citizenship, they could present their Dominican Cedula which is the version citizens get which does not have No Vota on the back and is indeed the proof you asked about regarding DR citizenship. It is all that most Dominicans have to prove citizenship.

That cedula would prove their citizenship upon leaving along with whatever passport they were using so they don't need to pay a potential exit fee for an overstay. No law requires Dominican Citizens to have and travel on a Dominican Passport that I am aware of.

My brother, families and friends that travel with US passport they just show their cedula, their Dominican passport expired and they didnt renew, just travel with one passport.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Well, your question here is not the same as your original post, as nothing was mentioned about Visas. And I think this question about Visas was already answered by Riva, as I believe a Dominican needs one to go to Canada.

Yes a Dominican requires a VISA to enter Canada. Once applied for, they are usually issued for the duration of the passport ; unless the passport is to be expired within six months.
Russell

Sep 4, 2012

A DR resident is a different case and the cedula may apply.

I would accept that in order to clarify citizenship and avoid exit fees Dominicans with any other nationality and traveling with an overseas passport may show their cedulas instead, however; two rebuttals to that theory:

- The proper document for traveling and immigration purposes is a passport

- A passport does shows the citizenship and place of birth (hence cedula isn't necessarily needed as the passport already has this info)

- I have yet to see anyone using a cedula at the airport as mean of traveling documentation, much less for immigration purposes

- I don't believe a cedula along would be accept it at immigration, regardless of original nationality

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
A DR resident is a different case and the cedula may apply.

I would accept that in order to clarify citizenship and avoid exit fees Dominicans with any other nationality and traveling with an overseas passport may show their cedulas instead, however; two rebuttals to that theory:

- The proper document for traveling and immigration purposes is a passport

- A passport does shows the citizenship and place of birth (hence cedula isn't necessarily needed as the passport already has this info)

- I have yet to see anyone using a cedula at the airport as mean of traveling documentation, much less for immigration purposes

- I don't believe a cedula along would be accept it at immigration, regardless of original nationality

The cedula is not used as travel documement, the Cedula is used to unlock the foreign passport and let people travel without paying the exit overstay fee, Dominican Citizents and residents do not pay that fee. Thats why even you are not citizen but has the cedula as resident works in both cases.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, I have never had to,present my cedula
The system seems to know residency status ... and I pass through quickly

I never experienced these’unlock’ issues people here talk about

Sep 4, 2012
The cedula is not used as travel documement, the Cedula is used to unlock the foreign passport and let people travel without paying the exit overstay fee, Dominican Citizents and residents do not pay that fee. Thats why even you are not citizen but has the cedula as resident works in both cases.

I've already admitted that for a non Dominican perhaps this could apply for fee's purposes, but, from this to a Dominican born citizen (even w/dual citizenship) being able to use the cedula (as your earlier reply exposed) as travel document instead of a passport is just not true.

My brother, families and friends that travel with US passport they just show their cedula, their Dominican passport expired and they didnt renew, just travel with one passport.

No way immigration would let them in/out the country w/just a cedula. Citizenship isn't relevant at that point - cedula is not a valid travel document, period.

Even in this country where everything is possible - it isn't happening. Show a passport or do not travel. Although in the past a Birth Certificate (at least an US issued would suffice for travels purposes in lie of passport), don't believe this is the case for many years now.

They track him by cedula. I know that because when we brought our car down, he had to prove how much time he’d spent in DR over the prior 2 years. He went to immigration in La Féria and they printed out everything for him from his cedula number

The question remains (not for you Riva), how was that immigration was able to get travel/immigration data for Mr AE with his cedula?

I don't believe that either.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've already admitted that for a non Dominican perhaps this could apply for fee's purposes, but, from this to a Dominican born citizen (even w/dual citizenship) being able to use the cedula (as your earlier reply exposed) as travel document instead of a passport is just not true.

No way immigration would let them in/out the country w/just a cedula. Citizenship isn't relevant at that point - cedula is not a valid travel document, period.

Even in this country where everything is possible - it isn't happening. Show a passport or do not travel. Although in the past a Birth Certificate (at least an US issued would suffice for travels purposes in lie of passport), don't believe this is the case for many years now.

The question remains (not for you Riva), how was that immigration was able to get travel/immigration data for Mr AE with his cedula?

Yeah, I lied just for fun.

And your statement about USA passport showing place of birth is meaningless too, because simply being born in DR does not constitute citizenship.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WYW

You must be missing something....
Too many posters here come/go not using their RD passport

Proof of citizenship clearly can be verified w/o using the passport
As my residency seems to pop up to unlock my passport without muss/fuss

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Not sure If my english was not so good, but I never said Cedula was a travel Document, when you travel with a foreign passport and the system says you have to pay overstay fee, showing your Cedula unlock your passport and you do not need to pay overstay fee. For us to come or leave the country is not obligatory to do it with Dominican passport.

Re read again where I said traveling with US passport.

That question is not for me but i answer anyway, Cedula never has been here a travel document, only use it to prove you have legal residence here or you are Dominican when traveling with foreign passport, thats it.

Sep 4, 2012
WYW

You must be missing something....
Too many posters here come/go not using their RD passport

Proof of citizenship clearly can be verified w/o using the passport
As my residency seems to pop up to unlock my passport without muss/fuss

I have not doubt or challenged the use of any passport during the discussion, not sure where I might've confused you on that, but if I did, and to reiterate it - was never my point to argue any passport (DR included) for travels.

My question/challenge was specifically directed at Dominican cedula linked to immigration and travels to the DR - see my quote from AE on post #48.

I am very interested to see the truthfulness to this if indeed a fact?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

1. When you leave/enter the country as a resident you show your home country passport and your RESIDENCY CARD not your cedula.
2. When you leave as a dual citizen you can show either your Dominican passport or your home country passport PLUS your Dominican cedula. Showing the former is a waste of time if it does not have the visa for the country you are visiting and showing the latter with cedula stops you paying any overstay.
3. When you arrive in the DR as a dual national you show either your Dominican passport or your foreign one with your Dominican cedula and you go to the booth for Dominican nationals - much faster.
4. The Dominican passport has the cedula number as well as the passport number. The passport number changes - the cedula does not. The passport is traced by the cedula number on the passport - the cedula number gives the passport and travel details.

Matilda

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As a dual citizen I show my DR passport when leaving, most of the time they ask to see my US passport to make sure I can enter the Country I am going to. Arriving to the DR I just show my DR passport. I have never been asked for my Cedula, and I have been traveling for 15 years this way.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As a dual citizen I show my DR passport when leaving, most of the time they ask to see my US passport to make sure I can enter the Country I am going to. Arriving to the DR I just show my DR passport. I have never been asked for my Cedula, and I have been traveling for 15 years this way.

However if u showed your US passport on arrival AND filled in the form for residents/dr citizens they would then check your cedula.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
However if u showed your US passport on arrival AND filled in the form for residents/dr citizens they would then check your cedula.

Why would I show my US passport when I have a Dominican one? I breeze through on arrival, and I qualify for the VIP line with no wait.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Why would I show my US passport when I have a Dominican one? I breeze through on arrival, and I qualify for the VIP line with no wait.

As you do with foreign passport and DR citizen cedula.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I have not doubt or challenged the use of any passport during the discussion, not sure where I might've confused you on that, but if I did, and to reiterate it - was never my point to argue any passport (DR included) for travels.

My question/challenge was specifically directed at Dominican cedula linked to immigration and travels to the DR - see my quote from AE on post #48.

I am very interested to see the truthfulness to this if indeed a fact?

The white arrival paper that we Dominican fill up on the plane ask for the Cedula number. Even though immigration doesn't ask for the Cedula, if you provide it when you fill up the arrival sheet they have the info of your foreign passport and cedula link.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
How is the Cedula linked into this immigration process, IOWs, how would immigration know with certainty when he arrived and left the country by his Cedula?

That I know of, immigration does not ask for any Cedula when arriving or leaving the country, just Passports.
Immigration once asked me for my residency card when it swiped my foreign passport. I simply presented it. Now, I give the residency card and cedula as a matter of course when entering and exiting the DR.