cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't miss Florida. It's cooler here.

Plus I still have Jimmy Dean sausage.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes I know how you all feel...I miss The DR almost every week. Right now sitting in the cold of Michigan I would love to be in hot weather with a nice cold Presidente at hand.

I can understand you missing friends, Korean food, etc...but the "fresh air" of NJ? Huh. I think The DR has plenty of that...or did you mean cooler air?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I am from southern Ontario and I don't miss the snow, the cold, winter hibernation, high cost of living, winter driving, cold, taxes, cold, did I mention the cold.

I do however miss the.....hmmmmmmmmmm can't think of a single thing.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Hey, your from Jersey. what exit? I was born and raised in Essex County, Verona, the land of Tony Soprano. Speaking of which go on line and watch past episodes. You'll get your NJ fix. Bad-a-Bing.

LTSteve
Further up Exit 18 and Parkway 160's to be exact...
Ahh... Miss Soprano's one of the best made series of all time!!! I'll just do that...

You know that strip joint on the episodes, Satin's Doll on 17, I pass by that almost everyday. Now that it's famous I have never went but the girls are fine there before I won't be surprised if the drinks are now more over charged then ever...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Surprisingly I do miss snow!!!
YES!!!
I DO MISS SNOW but I don't miss shoveling it.
Watching my son with triple coat on rolling around that white stuff and making snow man that you can never do here...
And shoveling....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Yes I know how you all feel...I miss The DR almost every week. Right now sitting in the cold of Michigan I would love to be in hot weather with a nice cold Presidente at hand.

I can understand you missing friends, Korean food, etc...but the "fresh air" of NJ? Huh. I think The DR has plenty of that...or did you mean cooler air?
suarezn...
Just like Japanese, we Koreans also don't wear shoes inside our houses. If I wear white the bottom turns brown with in half day and it rarely do in NJ. With all the unpaved roads and miles and miles of empty lands in Santiago. Cleaner air???... I vote YES for NJ...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Watching my son with triple coat on rolling around that white stuff and making snow man that you can never do here...

Hey, you both can make sandmen at the beach which is more fun...and you won't have to shovel...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
suarezn...
Just like Japanese, we Koreans also don't wear shoes inside our houses. If I wear white the bottom turns brown with in half day and it rarely do in NJ. With all the unpaved roads and miles and miles of empty lands in Santiago. Cleaner air???... I vote YES for NJ...

I see...That's cause you live in the city and your house in The DR is not as well sealed as your house in The US would have to be due to the cold weather.

Driving through the roads of Santiago, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete the air is disgusting! I've never seen such pollution!
Our lungs will be black from all the Fumes! I took for granted clean air, I miss it too!! Thank god we live on the beach at least we have clean air when we are at home as long as the dude next door isn't burning garbage.....

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
...for suarezn

Your melancholy may well have been aggravated by the horrible effects wrought by Hurricane Sandy. It is never easy to be far away when the people, with whom we feel a kinship, are suffering. Even if no one you know personally has been directly affected, those that have are "N.J. people", so by extension your people.
Forget the fast food joints....Get together with some people you really care for and go out for a darn good meal. Damn the expense.
And remember,
This too shall pass.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Driving through the roads of Santiago, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete the air is disgusting! I've never seen such pollution!
Our lungs will be black from all the Fumes! I took for granted clean air, I miss it too!! Thank god we live on the beach at least we have clean air when we are at home as long as the dude next door isn't burning garbage.....

I get what you mean if you're on the road driving, even though I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the worst I've seen. Normally cars have a button called Air Recirculation that would prevent you from smelling other people's fumes.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I get what you mean if you're on the road driving, even though I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the worst I've seen. Normally cars have a button called Air Recirculation that would prevent you from smelling other people's fumes.
Some how people think NJ is as bad as NYC but in reality is if you drive like 15 minutes on highway, away from the 5 Borough, it's whole different world, air definitely have that crisp feeling through your nose. And in Santiago I wash my car more often then in NJ so I would say that at least my Santiago port of town is dustier then other parts of the country except Moca (I believe they are worse then Santiago)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

I'm with Harleysrock on this one........My experience was on the east coast (Bavaro/Puj) and I would have to say that all the traffic and being stuck behind those bloody guaguas with the black diesel exhaust was enough to make me pull my hair out. Oh and when the passengers were finished their pollo con arroz and pitched the stryofoam containers with all the gnawed bones and grease out the window onto your windshield, that was very nice too.
Just typing the words and my blood pressure is rising.......I will qualify this by admitting it was a few years back. Have things changed for the better?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Your melancholy may well have been aggravated by the horrible effects wrought by Hurricane Sandy. It is never easy to be far away when the people, with whom we feel a kinship, are suffering. Even if no one you know personally has been directly affected, those that have are "N.J. people", so by extension your people.
Forget the fast food joints....Get together with some people you really care for and go out for a darn good meal. Damn the expense.
And remember,
This too shall pass.

OOPS..........I mean Koreano.:confused:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
LOL Koreano.....it's all relative I think. NYers hate NJ drivers. Southern NJ drivers hate Pennsylvania drivers. I think we're all just territorial.

But we ALL hate Dominican drivers.

That's ok. Most people hate New Yorkers, and just feel kinda sorry for folks from New Joyzee.... lol :glasses:

I have a friend who just visited NYC over the summer. I asked, "what was your favorite part?" She said, "the airport." ba dum-bump.

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
That's ok. Most people hate New Yorkers, and just feel kinda sorry for folks from New Joyzee.... lol :glasses:

I have a friend who just visited NYC over the summer. I asked, "what was your favorite part?" She said, "The airport."
Yeah because she never left the airport.

In my opinion the folk who are relatively young (under 70's) who likes to travel and hates NYC, belongs in mental institution.

What is there to hate? The city has is a point of interest every step you take, many interesting people walking around and delicious food every corner.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Surprisingly I do miss snow!!!
YES!!!
I DO MISS SNOW but I don't miss shoveling it.
And shoveling....

I hear you! I miss the snow but what I miss the most are the autumn days!Fall is my favorite
season.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Yeah because she never left the airport.

In my opinion the folk who are relatively young (under 70's) who likes to travel and hates NYC, belongs in mental institution.

What is there to hate? The city has is a point of interest every step you take, many interesting people walking around and delicious food every corner.

Oh, VISITING NYC is fine. You realize that, no matter what, there's always going to be a point when you leave.

And, LIVING in NYC with "Sex in the City" money is a magical, wonderful experience. Living without money is worse than what you see in a bad rap video. Overpriced everything, crowds, dirt, trash, nasty attitudes, guys in puff coats doing the stereotypical NYer thing (don't even act like you don't know what I mean). Ugh.

I've been to Port-au-Prince after the earthquake, and seen more cheer there than anywhere in Southside Jamaica.

Here's a hint: if you live in a city that is truly amazing, people from other places should be constantly telling you how great it is, not the other way around.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
South Jamaica? THAT is NYC to you?? Geesh.

I have news for you, living ANYWHERE without money sucks. Anywhere including the Dominican Republic. Wait, I take that back. If I had no money, I'd live MUCH better in NYC than DR.

As far as feeling sorry for people who live in NJ, this is the view from my corner, my own personal photos taken last fall, not from a website.
IMG_0305.jpgIMG_0308.jpg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oh, VISITING NYC is fine. You realize that, no matter what, there's always going to be a point when you leave.

And, LIVING in NYC with "Sex in the City" money is a magical, wonderful experience. Living without money is worse than what you see in a bad rap video. Overpriced everything, crowds, dirt, trash, nasty attitudes, guys in puff coats doing the stereotypical NYer thing (don't even act like you don't know what I mean). Ugh.

I've been to Port-au-Prince after the earthquake, and seen more cheer there than anywhere in Southside Jamaica.

Here's a hint: if you live in a city that is truly amazing, people from other places should be constantly telling you how great it is, not the other way around.
I think you have to be from NYC to appreciate it.

I lived there-really, Oyster Bay but close enough-for almost 2 years. I never got accustomed to the people, traffic, attitudes, congestion, ethnic-specific neighborhoods, etc. And that was 35+ years ago.

Not all of NYC is Manhattan.

To me it's the quintessential "nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" city.

I went to college with a bunch of rich NYC kids. They always seemed bored in old, sleepy Tampa, while I found Tampa an awesome place. It wasn't until I had to live in NYC that I understood why they were bored: the constant environmental "input" made anything BUT NYC seem boring.

Nicest city I ever lived in? Portland OR.