Does anybody miss home?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
CB, Oyster Bay? Didn't MountainAnnie just say that's where she lived back in the day? You two probably were two ships passing in the night. Or day.

That's North Shore, people a bit more "uppity" there. Old Money types. Too bad you didn't come down to the South Shore. Down there you would have met the salt-of-the-earth types who moved out from NYC in the 60s.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
When I miss home I either go to Ikea to feel in Europe or I search for pictures of my country in winter (grey, rain, desolated).

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I hear you! I miss the snow but what I miss the most are the autumn days!Fall is my favorite
season.
Growing up with 4 season most of my life, I agree. Although it becomes pain when you have to blow all the leaves off of your lawn but viewing foliage as you drive or viewing it on higher ground like Bear Mountain is breathtakingly beautiful. I have missed that the crispier air, clear blue sky and that cool dry feeling as you walk on the park as the leaves falling.

God I miss that...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB, Oyster Bay? Didn't MountainAnnie just say that's where she lived back in the day? You two probably were two ships passing in the night. Or day.

That's North Shore, people a bit more "uppity" there. Old Money types. Too bad you didn't come down to the South Shore. Down there you would have met the salt-of-the-earth types who moved out from NYC in the 60s.
I "worked" in Hempstead and was there for 12+ hrs a day. I basically just slept in a garage apartment.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Last year we went to NYC. I have to admit I felt more comfortable the further out LI we went...

I lived in Philly for 9 months. Kinda the same vibe as NYC. I lived in suburban Chicago for 3 years. Except for the cold, I really enjoyed it...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

I thought MA was Greenwich Village...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is my second move to a warmer climate than London Canada.

First was the late 70's to FLA..... I was very disoriented by the lack of season change. Would travel back to see fall, snow, spring .... sort of 'reset' my biological clock.

Moving to Philadelphia helped with the withdrawal problems..... shorter, milder winters - summers too hot.

Now, many moons later I need no readjusting.
If you parachuted me back to a snowstorm, I'm sure I would die. I walked through some knee deep snow 2 yrs ago to get into my house on Lake Huron..... just shoot me!!

Home?? I need to ask myself where home is...... 6 months here will qualify this as home.
Visits to the US and Canada...... our dogs and cats live here - so do I.

Its all a mindset.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I lived in a number of places in NJ. One, in the town of Chester which is about 10 miles from Morristown(one of George Washington's houses and hdqtrs located there) Chester is some of the most beautiful rolling hills and horse country that you will see anywhere in the Northeast. Jersey gets a bad wrap because of the air quality off the NJ Trnpk at around exist 13, but most of NJ is very nice. On the license plate it says "Garden State". NJ has a lot of farmland and dairyland but we are most familiar with the area the borders NYC. NJ has a certain vibe that is unique to the people that live there..."baby we were born to run'" oh oh oh oh a a oh oh oh ooh a oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oooohhhh.! Thank you Bruce.

LTSteve

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I think you have to be from NYC to appreciate it.

Not all of NYC is Manhattan.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ue1SiXFneIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Correct a mundo!!!!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This is my second move to a warmer climate than London Canada.

First was the late 70's to FLA..... I was very disoriented by the lack of season change. Would travel back to see fall, snow, spring .... sort of 'reset' my biological clock.

Moving to Philadelphia helped with the withdrawal problems..... shorter, milder winters - summers too hot.

Now, many moons later I need no readjusting.
If you parachuted me back to a snowstorm, I'm sure I would die. I walked through some knee deep snow 2 yrs ago to get into my house on Lake Huron..... just shoot me!!

Home?? I need to ask myself where home is...... 6 months here will qualify this as home.
Visits to the US and Canada...... our dogs and cats live here - so do I.

Its all a mindset.
Yes. It's all in our mind.
Yes. We are all living in a "paradise".

But don't you miss THE memories? Don't you get stress up with all these non senses? Communicating with a intelligent person that when I say 1 know 2 comes after?

Don't mind me I am all stressed up, and fed up with all the stupidity and nonsense I am surrounded with these days....

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The only thing I have to say about "New Yorkers" that I find very funny is they always let you know where they are from even if you don't ask them Example:

Person A: Hi are you new around here???

New Yorker: Yeah I am new and from New York

Person B: Excuse is that you car double park outside

New Yorker: My bad yeah thats my car I from New York I will move it an a second.

Person C : Excuse me sir can I help you find something?

New Yorker: Yes you can I am from New York and I was looking for this jacket in black

New Yorkers kill me LOL, but it all love, like I said in another thread Park Slope is one of my favorite neigborhood in the USA.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Speaking of Jersey... I can't help but to ask... who's from Jersey Shore :D

For a Canadian I can do a mean Jersey Turnpike ;) Just ask the lucky souls last weekend :D

Dec 26, 2011
Yes. It's all in our mind.
Yes. We are all living in a "paradise".

But don't you miss THE memories? Don't you get stress up with all these non senses? Communicating with a intelligent person that when I say 1 know 2 comes after?

Don't mind me I am all stressed up, and fed up with all the stupidity and nonsense I am surrounded with these days....

I feel for you. I was especially sensitive to la brutalidad on my last trip. It's disheartening. Maybe it's because I caught a bad cold and didn't feel well. But I heard so many absurd things stated so dogmatically from so many people. And the guy driving past with the speaker blasting some pastora ranting about Sodoma y Gomorra. And the other guy with the need to impress the neighborhood with his speakers. And the neighbor that bruised his daughter's face. And my gf's cousin's very Christian marido that "borrowed" my car to get some action from one of the girls he works with. I guess I'm getting old.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The only thing I have to say about "New Yorkers" that I find very funny is they always let you know where they are from even if you don't ask them Example:

Person A: Hi are you new around here???

New Yorker: Yeah I am new and from New York

Person B: Excuse is that you car double park outside

New Yorker: My bad yeah thats my car I from New York I will move it an a second.

Person C : Excuse me sir can I help you find something?

New Yorker: Yes you can I am from New York and I was looking for this jacket in black

New Yorkers kill me LOL, but it all love, like I said in another thread Park Slope is one of my favorite neigborhood in the USA.

Really ? It s very pretty but I pictured more like a Fort Greene/Clinton Hill type of guy :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Only New Jerseyans know that you go down the shore not the beach, and when
you take a jug handle.;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL Koreano.....it's all relative I think. NYers hate NJ drivers. Southern NJ drivers hate Pennsylvania drivers. I think we're all just territorial.

But we ALL hate Dominican drivers.

there are no Dominican drivers. people here maneuver vehicles

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i miss small things. like walking around at all hours, just enjoying myself. here it's kinda hard to walk. daytime it's too hot and nighttime it's too damn dark and too dangerous. damn, my mother in law was so upset about my ideas of walking or using public transport she gave me car :) but i still enjoy walking our dogs (when they are not shot at, understandably).

i miss sweets from poland. i dream about them on regular basis. like, nearly every night :) i miss the food in general.

i miss how easy it was to travel in europe. so many holidays in the UK, plane tickets so cheap and most other european countries reachable within 2-3 hours.

i miss not being stared at because i am a woman, white and there is nothing better to do.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Really ? It s very pretty but I pictured more like a Fort Greene/Clinton Hill type of guy :)

A guy I went to school with moved to NYC and his first apartment was in Park Slope very pricey for the type of place IMO. He is now a die hard New Yorker to the fullest,and now he owns a condo in Williamsburg so New York owns him for the next 30 plus years LOL. Fort Greene/ Clinton Hill are cool as well, I am one of the few people in the Midwest that really really enjoys NYC. I never would considered talking to a woman with kids, but years back I met a woman from Bushwick with 3 kids, but nothing ever happened and man she was fine ass hell.

BTW Africaida I was one of those guys hanging out around "FIT" trying to land me a soon to be fashion chick, but the ones I liked always told me " to get lost" LOL

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
i miss small things. like walking around at all hours, just enjoying myself. here it's kinda hard to walk. daytime it's too hot and nighttime it's too damn dark and too dangerous. damn, my mother in law was so upset about my ideas of walking or using public transport she gave me car :) but i still enjoy walking our dogs (when they are not shot at, understandably).

i miss sweets from poland. i dream about them on regular basis. like, nearly every night :) i miss the food in general.

i miss how easy it was to travel in europe. so many holidays in the UK, plane tickets so cheap and most other european countries reachable within 2-3 hours.

i miss not being stared at because i am a woman, white and there is nothing better to do.

So what is the remedy?
I know ignoring it helps also bottle of tequila do wonders, and driving around like tourists also helps.
What else?
Those that have survived this please shed some lights.

My mind is killing me today....

Just now..
The guy I trusted have turned against me. I should have known when he came to work with brand new blackberry last month. I have just seen a video of a guy trying to steal inversor.

Can this day turn any worse....:(