dogs in the dr.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, because dominicans simply LOVE dogs. i see the evidence of that daily, in the excellent care provided by animal owners. LOL.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I had a dog for 14 years (RIP) and I used to feed him beef and chicken parts , including wings. Everyday the butcher saved me a bag of "carne para el perro". Funny, he wouldn?t eat anything raw, he didn?t even care about raw salami. He also liked carrots and lollipops.

I did once try to go fancy and bought him a can of dog food and he almost died from a diarrhea, so I stuck with chicken parts. By the way, he was a viralata!!!

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah William we feed our dogs raw food as well. Personally I think if you start them off very young they know exactly how to handle bones, throw a chicken foot to a strange dog that hasn't had them in the past, will probably choke. Our dogs eat them as if they were eating a swizzle stick :)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I give my dogs bananas and raw eggs a couple of times a week. They love it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lots of protien,potassium, AND a shiny coat!!!!!!!!!
I'll try adding the "raw egg".
She is "With Puppies", still inside, so it should be good for ALL of them.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013
We buy Frontline on eBay and bring it down with us, a year's worth at a time. Our dogs are outside 90% of the day, and we had a terrible problem until we started using it monthly.

They like Campion dry dog food, we try not to give them too much table food because we're not here all year, and when we're not here it's dry only. During our female's pregnancy and now that she's lactating, I cook up a batch of chicken, pork, or goat liver for her once a day - I add garlic powder to it too, I've heard that fleas/ticks don't like it when the dogs sweat it out.

This is a bit off topic but I wondered where you live the the half of your time. How do you transport your dogs? I am moving there fromthe U.S. and I am having a rough time finding anyone who will ship my 2 boxers and my bulldog mix. Also, have you noticed if they sell Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet there? Thanks

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013
What we have found most successful for ticks is Ivermectin. All of the tick meds have some potential side effects and as mentioned above Ivermectin does as well but we have found the back drops work for about a week or two and then they have ticks again. With ivermectin it kills the birth cycle and if given monthly you will eliminate the tick problem. We use a dosage of .1ml/10lb of dog and we give it orally or in the food. We have a number of dogs and we have never had ticks even though we live beside a cattle and goal farm. As far as vaccines I would strongly recommend you also vaccinate them against distemper, parvo and lepto - all 3 of these diseases are very common here (much more so then rabies) and can be potentially fatal to your dogs. These vaccines can be bought at any vet supply store and are very affordable if you are looking at doing it yourself. For food we as well use Campion and mix it with a homemade soup mix which contains different meats and veggies - none of the food available in this country is of high quality and we find that this mix gives them the everything they need and they tend to really like it. We do all of the above things as well with the many street dogs that we look after through our foundation Dogs and Cats of the Dominican Republic. I hope this information helps...

I see many people who have posted here recommend the Ivermectin. I have a question... Do any of you also use heartworm medicine such as Heartguard plus or IVERHART MAX (ivermectin/pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel)? Since this Ivermectinin it and given to your dog year round perhaps that would help with the ticks as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is a bit off topic but I wondered where you live the the half of your time. How do you transport your dogs? I am moving there fromthe U.S. and I am having a rough time finding anyone who will ship my 2 boxers and my bulldog mix. Also, have you noticed if they sell Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet there? Thanks

THe airlines , after May1 can get difficult about shipping dogs...

Food, use a mudanza (search that here on DR1)

I have traveled with a Boxer more than once - accompanied, as checked baggage

Not sure about Natural Balance, sorry

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013
I was curious if anyone uses IVERHART MAX (ivermectin/pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel) or Heartguard Plus (monthly heartworm medication) or other brand in conjunction with a product such as Frontline? If so, do you still have tick problems? Also, what products do you all use to spray your yard to cut down the infestation? What brands of dog food do they have in DR? Where do you typically purchase your food? We are relocating this summer and could use all the help we can get. Also, did anyone relocate from the US to DR with a large breed dog? If so, how did you transport your furry family member? THANK YOU!!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My dogs get Heartguard on a monthly basis and I've had problems twice in the past 4 years with ticks. Problem as in ticks crawling up the walls of their room. Since the yard they have access to belongs to the building (not willing to fumigate), is shared by other dogs and is very large, the best I could do was treat my dogs and ask my neighbours to do the same with theirs. Within a few weeks it cleared up. As for brands of dog food? There's a wide selection both of brands and price to choose from (at supermarkets/Pricesmart and vets). Might be easier to ask for a specific brand than have us list everything that's available.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The orange does actually work. Keeping up with it using frontline or its generic equivalent is a much easier method unless you bathe your dogs every day.
I have heard about the bone danger with dogs and have consulted my vet about it and his reply was that cooked bones can splinter. That being said my beagles will eat a rabbit fur and all if they get to it before I do. My doberman Ace(RIP) mainly ate venison mixed with leftovers and bones and lived to be fifteen. He was a large specimen from a German bloodline and for a dog that size to live that long is uncommon.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Just normal oranges??? Or naranja acido ( the one u make vinegar out of ) ??????

Will give it a try......

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013

May I ask what airline you used and what time of year you flew with your boxer?

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013
Thank you so much for the information. I feed my dogs and cat Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet right now. DO they carry that? Also, what did you treat your yard with? Wondering if I should pick some up in the states before I head down.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

WW, can you give me an idea of the cost for the dog as baggage? We want to bring one of our rottie pups home with us in the cabin, and then bring her back with us in the Fall when we return - but by then she will be too big for the cabin.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, it is true that originally dogs had a different diet than just kibbles but dogs were different too, no fancy inbreed weirdos like honey boo boo. and they lived considerably shorter lives too. so i am not fussy about the food i give to my rotties. god knows i have no time to cook for two beasts. i mean, beside myself and miesposo. so it's kibbles and leftovers for the goggies. i don't feel guilty about that. they lick they own assholes after all, pricesmart food cannot be any worse that that.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
sad dog diary - YouTube

Feeding a dog lean meat and rice or other leftovers are better than the sugar laden pre preperado dog foods imho. Garlic is supposed to help with fleas. I still use frontline. If a dog is eating my leftovers he is garlic laden already.