dogs in the dr.......

Aug 6, 2006
I would think that rubbing an orange over a dog would be easier on the dog than feeding him insecticides. Suppose some flea killer gave dogs nightmares or prevented Fido from having wet dreams, or lowered his IQ by 20 points. We'd never know.

Oranges, if they work, are (a) natural and (b) cheaper. You can probably tell if your dog likes the flavor they impart to his coat when he licks it.

I do not think taste is too important to dogs, my dog when I was a kid never bothered to savor his Alpo: cheap food, expensive food, it made no difference, he snarfed up a whole bowlful in under 45 seconds.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh, it stings, they twitch and wiggle.... I can't believe its a pleasant experience but, yes - easier than jamming something down a throat against a dog's wishes.

more importantly, it works

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Jamming stuff down my dogs throat???? U have got to be kidding me!!!! Chances are they'll take fingers, hand and half of forearm......

I'll go with the oranges any day...... I got some vinigar made out of oranges ( very popular in the campo for washimg meat....). So will give it a test.......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Oh, it stings, they twitch and wiggle.... I can't believe its a pleasant experience but, yes - easier than jamming something down a throat against a dog's wishes.

more importantly, it works

Jamming something down a dog's throat? Next time stick the pill inside a chunk of liverwurst. :p

Jamming stuff down my dogs throat???? U have got to be kidding me!!!! Chances are they'll take fingers, hand and half of forearm......

I'll go with the oranges any day...... I got some vinigar made out of oranges ( very popular in the campo for washimg meat....). So will give it a test.......

LMAO malko, our dogs too, we have to be quick on the draw when we hand feed them something! I'm also going to try the naranja agria - and yep, it's great for meat too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Jamming stuff down my dogs throat???? U have got to be kidding me!!!! Chances are they'll take fingers, hand and half of forearm.......

same here. it works even for injections: just hold a piece of bacon in front of their faces and a pinch in the ass goes unnoticed. not so easy with cats, thou. fat bastard needed to be held down by both miesposo and i. poor vet was repeating jesus maria on the loop. so yes, maybe fatso does look like he will take both of your eyes out faster than you can blink but really, no need to invoke deity.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I trained my rottie when she was young to open her mouth and allow me to stick my whole hand in. Several years later that training became very useful when she got operated on for hip dysplasia and I needed to give her pain meds and antibiotics daily. The darn dog could smell the meds in anything I would put it in. Even tossing the chicken (or other) with the pill in it couldn't fool her. But with one hand on either side of her muzzle and a gentle squeeze she just opens her mouth and I can pop it down her throat. I guessed the discomfort of me doing that was worth numbing the pain while she was recuperating...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Salud Publico" made it's annual trip through my neighborhood, & the "Barrio" that sits next to us this week.
They give every dog and cat they can find a rabies shot!
For FREE!!!!!!!!!
The "Street Dogs" get an orange ribbon around their neck to show which ones have been vaccinated.
They injected my 4 dogs, and left the injections for my two cats.
I was sleeping, so I couldn't hold the cats for them like I normally do.
Cats are not fun to inject, even for professionals.
Finally, something "GOOD" done by the DR government!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"Salud Publico" made it's annual trip through my neighborhood, & the "Barrio" that sits next to us this week.
For FREE!!!!!!!!!
The "Street Dogs" get an orange ribbon around their neck to show which ones have been vaccinated.

CC, did you get your shot and a ribbon too ?

Regards,

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For FREE!!!!!!!!!

We kept hearing they were coming, but they never showed up, so we went and bought a rabies shot at the agro-vet [400 pesos] and did it ourselves. We actually bought 2 doses, one for the female who just gave birth, but won't be using it, as she has developed a severe infection and it looks like we'll be losing her soon.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yeah, I just buy them myself too now, and inject them myself.....
Kind old lady in the village who runs agri/vet, she gave me stickers of vaccine to sti k on "dog passport".... I asked her the purpose. She said it is proof in case the dog bites someone...... I answered, dead men tell no tales.......

I noticed the dogs were kind of "wobbly" for a day or 2 after the shot and had less apetite..... which got me a bit worried.....

What age do u vaccinate pups ? 6 months or before?

Sep 4, 2012
yes, because dominicans simply LOVE dogs. i see the evidence of that daily, in the excellent care provided by animal owners. LOL.

We are talking about oranges and you as always about apples. Rhetorical, no need to answer, point intended.

Sep 4, 2012
Talking to the folks around, yet another DR way to rid ticks is "creolina." can be had at the local drug store. Mix a logical amount with water and bathe the beast in it. Done!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yeah, I just buy them myself too now, and inject them myself.....
Kind old lady in the village who runs agri/vet, she gave me stickers of vaccine to sti k on "dog passport".... I asked her the purpose. She said it is proof in case the dog bites someone...... I answered, dead men tell no tales.......

I noticed the dogs were kind of "wobbly" for a day or 2 after the shot and had less apetite..... which got me a bit worried.....

What age do u vaccinate pups ? 6 months or before?

Rabies vac? I believe it's 3 months.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Thanks, good read.... But this is what got me starting this thread in the first place.
Most of these sites treat of "first world "dogs.

Professional training, hardly possible here in my campo
Neutreing ( or something spelled a bit like that....), I would prefer not ( shivers just thinking about it ), and I need a certain amount of agressiveness (?).....
More often than not they speak of "house dogs", which mine are not...... they live outside, have access to dog houses of course, and are very active at night ( during the day as well, but enjoy napping when it is hot ).

So I just go step by step, stronger with every experience.
My first dog was so badly brought up by my inlaws, that I cannot bathe him, cannot lock him up in his kennel, cannot do anything against his will without a fight, and he is big and mean!!! He even growls at me !!!
Thankfuly I get own very well with him and listens to me ( and only me ) most of the time.
But compare him to a dog back in europe, and, well he is a wild beast........
The other 3 I have brought up, amd touch wood, they are very very easy........