dogs in the dr.......

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In order to feed 4 dogs, u need a lot of leftovers:laugh:

I have asked around my campo and the most common answer is " I dont know, they eat whatever they can find..." very helpful......
But there again lots of "apparent ribs" dogs around.....so.......

The local "pollero" sometimes has cheap bucketfulls of chicken waste..... the rare times the salami factories have left me some.....
It is a pain to cook and keep but well worth it peso wise....

I will continue some time with pedigree/tin/homemade/leftovers mix.
I do like to vary their meals for some unknown reason.......

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I see many people who have posted here recommend the Ivermectin. I have a question... Do any of you also use heartworm medicine such as Heartguard plus or IVERHART MAX (ivermectin/pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel)? Since this Ivermectinin it and given to your dog year round perhaps that would help with the ticks as well.

this will certainly help your dog for parasites and will give some protection for ticks but the ivermectin dose in these products may be insufficient to prevent ticks in a country such as this. I would still give them ivermectin monthly (not on same day as heartguard) using a dose of .1ml/10lb of dog.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
i don't believe that dominicans rub their dogs with oranges. that would require actually touching the dog. and we know most people here would never do that.

DV8 - I thought the same thing when we first moved here that dominicans do not like dogs but with some time here I see a totally different picture. We have worked thousands of hours with the local animal population and the dominicans truly love their animals just like you and me. The difference is when the animal becomes sick or infested with bugs, they do not have the financial resources or education to know what to do with them. Often in this case the dog gets put out onto the street and has to fend for himself (similar case with handicapped children here when they set them on the church steps). At DCDR our goal is to educate the locals on the basics of animal health and to provide the medications that prevent the little issues (ticks,parasites etc) from becoming big issues - we are currently helping over 1500 dogs and cats on the north coast on a monthly basis and if you wish to see first hand the love dominicans have for their animals then please join us someday on our outreach programs.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
You can buy Fipronil which is the same as Frontline in a bottle from any agro veterinaria. Many brand names but the one I have is Ectobull. It is RD$150 a bottle which lasts for months and is just the same as Frontline but a tiny fraction of the price. Look on line FRONTLINE Plus for Dogs & Puppies for Animal Use - Drugs.com for dosage.
As dv8 says they pick up ticks from any grass - you have grass here, you get ticks.

Matilda

Hi Matilda - do you have any other names sold here that are similar to EctoBull??? thanks tom

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Invermectin

We use Vermicitin but havnt heard anyone else that uses it, everyone seems to use Invermectin, is there something we should know about Vermicitin?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is a bit off topic but I wondered where you live the the half of your time. How do you transport your dogs? I am moving there fromthe U.S. and I am having a rough time finding anyone who will ship my 2 boxers and my bulldog mix. Also, have you noticed if they sell Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet there? Thanks

We live in southern New Jersey in the US and in a beach town in San Cristobal in DR.

Our dogs stay at our house in DR when we're not here, so we've not transported any - yet. We've decided to keep one or two of our new pups, because the mother has to be put down before we leave. Because they are so small, we can't leave them here, so will take them back to NJ with us, and then bring them back when we return in the Fall.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just normal oranges??? Or naranja acido ( the one u make vinegar out of ) ??????

Will give it a try......

The orange does actually work. Keeping up with it using frontline or its generic equivalent is a much easier method unless you bathe your dogs every day.

I can't see that anyone has answered the orange question - what kind of oranges are we talking about???

I'm picturing my rotties with gnats and flies all over them from the sweet orange juice.... no????? So, naranja agria?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I get chicken skins, pureed bones, and meat scraps from the butcher shop at Super Mercado National in Arroyo Hondo, SD.
They cost between 8 & 12 pesos a pound.
Compare that price to 25 to 35 pesos, or MORE for imported "Dry" dog foods!
My dogs are very healthy, and HAPPY too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps., the cats like it too!
especially after a long night of pooping in the neighbors yards!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can't see that anyone has answered the orange question - what kind of oranges are we talking about???

I'm picturing my rotties with gnats and flies all over them from the sweet orange juice.... no????? So, naranja agria?

If you're worried about that , go the sour route..... I expect both work... its the acidity, I think.

It cured our rescue of mange....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
CHICKEN LEGS???? that is so bad for dogs. they eat them whole and there are the smallest bones in there that can pierce their thought while going down and digestion track.. veryyy bad idea... take off the meat befor giving it to them. makes me so mad when when i see or hear ppl giving small bones like this to their dogs. some people say nothing ever happened... yea but wait... it could.

Yes and we all know dogs in teh wild have their food nicely calved up and deboned for them, lol. Please, the idea is not to cook them, give chicken bones raw. Dogs are not stupid, they do chew bones before swallowing, mainly, unless starving.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dogs have VERY strong stomach acid.
It dissolves the bones, for the most part, and kills most harmful bacteria.
"Can you say, "Road Kill"?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Raw chicken?? Do dogs not get salmonella poisoning? [not being sarcastic, honest question!!]

I don?t understand all this weirdness as though dogs share similar ammunity strengths or biology to us humans. Feeding your dog tinned factory boiled and chemically enhanced meat is the worst food you can feed them. Tripe is the best thing for your dog, all the crap nothing else will eat, your dogs will love. My dogs always get all the inners of our chickens raw and the feet.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The dogs have to wrestle the feet of my wife who thinks it's the best part of a chicken, alomg with the "pequeso":confused:

Sep 4, 2012

Naranja Agria. The juice would clean up the ticks right away. Trust me, just let it run into their eyes. Bathe them with it and you'll see.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
We use Vermicitin but havnt heard anyone else that uses it, everyone seems to use Invermectin, is there something we should know about Vermicitin?

I believe that is just the brand name but the ingredient will be ivermectin - label should show the active ingredient ivermectin 1%...tom