Dominican authorities to remove Haitian children beggars from streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Excuse me, Adolfo but you are dead wrong!

Haiti is receiving lots, lots of money from everywhere!! and DR is not!

There are thousands of private aid organizations working in the Dominican Republic right now, before and after Haiti's disastrous earthquake. The least you could do is acknowledge the fact that this aid is being given, freely to the DR from millions of your concerned foreign brethren (and sistren). You see, compassion is one of the more attractive characteristics of the Human race.

Hypothetically, let's imagine that the Dominican government adopts your "genetic purity" concept and rounds up all the Haitians (and suspected Haitians, using the brown bag test) and dumps them off over the Haitian border, forbidden to return under penalty of death or imprisonment). Exactly how do you think the World will react when you bring back images of Jim Crowe Law, persecution of Jews pre WWII, South African apartheid, dogs and water cannons against civil rights workers in the Southern States, Japanese interment during WWII, genetic cleansing in Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, etc. and a thousand other moments in Human history when we failed to live up to our collective potential?

I'm guessing that your erroneous statement above (in bold) will turn out to be a self fulfilling prophecy and illegal Dominicans in every corner of the planet will be shunned (and returned to cut your cane, shine your shoes and rob you) and the nation will be isolated economically, politically and socially. Then they'll be be looking to catch your behind trying to sneak into Haiti.

Dominican Republic: AmeriCares Medical Aid and Emergency Relief

ADRA: Aid Provided to Dominican Republic Flood Survivors

UNC News - UNC students forgo spring break to aid Dominican orphans' dental needs

Catholic Relief Services Brings Aid to Communities in the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba

910th, Notre Dame, local Rotary partner to aid Dominican needy

Caribbean Net News: Taiwan pledges aid to Dominican Republic

Dominican Republic - Aid

Oh, Man. There's hundreds of these. You ought to check it out sometime.

Reactions: MikeFisher
May 5, 2007
Something about the forced relocation of children just seems contrary to everything "civilized" countries supposedly stand for

If we can't treat children humanely, what is the purpose of existing?

Reactions: Africaida

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What's funny is that the ones like Cibaeno are the first one to cry for Immigration reforms once they get to the US. So hypocritical !!!!

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
and where will these children go? im not so thrilled...i need more info to decide whether or not this is actually "good". children need their parents.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
and where will these children go? im not so thrilled...i need more info to decide whether or not this is actually "good". children need their parents.

these kids are homeless either that or they live in a crappy shack, so what would be the difference?

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
There are thousands of private aid organizations working in the Dominican Republic right now, before and after Haiti's disastrous earthquake. The least you could do is acknowledge the fact that this aid is being given, freely to the DR from millions of your concerned foreign brethren (and sistren). You see, compassion is one of the more attractive characteristics of the Human race.

Hypothetically, let's imagine that the Dominican government adopts your "genetic purity" concept and rounds up all the Haitians (and suspected Haitians, using the brown bag test) and dumps them off over the Haitian border, forbidden to return under penalty of death or imprisonment). Exactly how do you think the World will react when you bring back images of Jim Crowe Law, persecution of Jews pre WWII, South African apartheid, dogs and water cannons against civil rights workers in the Southern States, Japanese interment during WWII, genetic cleansing in Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, etc. and a thousand other moments in Human history when we failed to live up to our collective potential?

I'm guessing that your erroneous statement above (in bold) will turn out to be a self fulfilling prophecy and illegal Dominicans in every corner of the planet will be shunned (and returned to cut your cane, shine your shoes and rob you) and the nation will be isolated economically, politically and socially. Then they'll be be looking to catch your behind trying to sneak into Haiti.

UNC News - UNC students forgo spring break to aid Dominican orphans' dental needs

Catholic Relief Services Brings Aid to Communities in the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba

Dominican Republic - Aid

there are 2 million illegal haitians in our country and we are already poor ourselves. it's rich countries like canada or the us that can afford to take care of impoverished foreigners at their expense. haitians wanting refuge in the dr is like a homeless person asking a homeless person who lives in a trash can if he can shelter him, feed him and make room for him to sleep

those are first world countries that can afford to help us, i'm sure poor countries like peru or Uganda wouldn't want 10 million of us flooding to their country for shelter. and these organizations and aid efforts for poor dominicans are being made on DOMINICAN soil not on american or taiwan soil. if you want to help haiti send aid to haiti not the dr

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
there are 2 million illegal haitians in our country and we are already poor ourselves. it's rich countries like canada or the us that can afford to take care of impoverished foreigners at their expense. haitians wanting refuge in the dr is like a homeless person asking a homeless person who lives in a trash can if he can shelter him, feed him and make room for him to sleep

those are first world countries that can afford to help us, i'm sure poor countries like peru or Uganda wouldn't want 10 million of us flooding to their country for shelter. and these organizations and aid efforts for poor dominicans are being made on DOMINICAN soil not on american or taiwan soil.

There are 33 million illegals in the US. So what? As far as I'm concerned illegal immigration to the Dominican Republic started with Christopher Columbus.

My point is not a statistical or technical detail oriented statement. It is simply this:

If I (the World) send you a loaf of bread (hundreds of millions in aid) and I send your brother (Haiti, who shares your house, by the way - Hispanola) a loaf of bread and the ground on his side of the house shakes and opens and swallows his loaf of bread and you refuse him a slice of yours it tells me something very important about you and I will not be sending another. You are not worthy.

P

poponlaburra

Dominican Republic - Aid

First of all, what is your suggestion?? That we "The Dominican People" keep on paying for the sexual pleasure and irresponsibility of the Haitian men and women? (assuming one of the Haitian parents had the pleasure of spreading the seeds and)!???

Where and when should we draw the line or point of no return?? or do you suggest that we should just shut up and take it? You suggest we should pay for the irresponsibility of the Haitians that keeps on bringing an army of babies they can not afford, care for or love, and dump them for Dominicans to take??

Why don't you also suggest we should pay the motel for them to go and make more unwanted children??

I just love kids, and if I was younger and richer I would also have 1/2 dozens, but, we sacrifice to have fewer kids so we could give them a better life, better than we had, and when I see these people bringing these kids and dumping them like that, .....The question, who are the guilty ones, Dominicans for voicing their frustration and concern? or these irresponsible people who can not freaking use a damn condom?

I know about most of these Ngos, and I also know that 99% of their funds aim to non-Dominicans.
How long?? How long will this go on?

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
There are 33 million illegals in the US. So what? As far as I'm concerned illegal immigration to the Dominican Republic started with Christopher Columbus.

My point is not a statistical or technical detail oriented statement. It is simply this:

If I (the World) send you a loaf of bread (hundreds of millions in aid) and I send your brother (Haiti, who shares your house, by the way - Hispanola) a loaf of bread and the ground on his side of the house shakes and opens and swallows his loaf of bread and you refuse him a slice of yours it tells me something very important about you and I will not be sending another. You are not worthy.

illegals make up 1 in 5 of the dr's population and they happen to come from one of the poorest country's on the planet, and we're not in the best shape either so you can't even compare. and about columbus, two wrongs don't make a right

like i said the dr as a country cannot afford these illegal immigrants. tons of dominicans are sending help TO haiti and thats how it should be. helping haitians on our side of the island does nothing for haiti and none of these haitians ever plan on going back to haiti unless they are forced to

P

poponlaburra

Dominicans abroad do not consist of 20 % of a country general population unlike Hatians in DR. Get your facts straight.

Mar 1, 2009
With the money that DR is so generously recieving from abroad, Leonel Fernandez should buy a 200 acres in Haiti right by the border and build The Haitian Refugee Town and Redevelopment Centre there. They could build a city, streets sewers, electricity, the works. All the illegal Haitians in the DR could be invited there and they would love it! All the Haitian construction workers, sugar cane cutters who are tired of suffering under the yoke of these Dominicans who are tyrants and devils to these poor angels who were dragged away from their magnificent idyll in Haiti, can now go back to their piece of paradise under Dominican auspicies!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
where do these "stat's: come from?

I know about most of these Ngos, and I also know that 99% of their funds aim to non-Dominicans.
How long?? How long will this go on?

99%?

Which bodily orifice are these numbers coming from ?

100% of the money mentioned in the last two links goes DIRECTLY TO THE DOMINICAN TREASURY!!

Dominican Republic Aid Recipient

Total aid: $157m (receipts)

Aid trend: Up 45% in 2002

Japan and the US are the largest donors. The IMF reluctantly approved a $657 million loan package in 2004.

From "The Financial Times World Desk Reference" ? Dorling Kindersley 2004

Taiwan pledges aid to Dominican Republic
Monday, July 10, 2006

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AFP): Taiwan will pledge 50 million US dollars in aid to its diplomatic ally Dominican Republic to help build a science park in the Caribbean state, the foreign ministry said Friday.

Direct aid to the Dominican government far exceeds any of the NGO money of which you assert that only 1% goes to help Dominicans (and we all know better than that)

Keep walking down the path of ethnic cleansing and watch the aid to the DR dry up completely. Watch as the tourists and the manufacturers leave for good. Watch that money dry up as the headlines of Human rights violations against Dominicans of Haitian decent pile high. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction and the World is watching....

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...rges-from-abroad/comment-posted#comments-note

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
You forgot to mention....

"What about the children of Haitians who were born in the DR? you want to revoke their right to citizenship"

Greydread, Haitians born in the DR have no rights to Dominican Citizenship.
(This isn't the USA where being born there means you are a citizen, one of the few countries where that is true and should NOT be.)

Illegals in any country should be deported including the "33 million" in the US.

You are only partially correct. Anyone born in the Dominican has a right to citizenship except Haitians, specifically.

Dominican-Haitian Biopolitics and Dominican Immigration Law and Policy

You want to deport 33 million illegal immigrants in the US? How will you accomplish this without profiling and harassing legal citizens who happen to look like them. I have a couple of friends from Serbia who's visas have expired over a year ago but I only see the cops scrutinizing and interfering with the lives of latinos....while the Serbs drive past laughing all the way to Vegas.

It's not the letter of the law at the heart of this problem, it's the spirit and application of the law that's wrong....as in unjust, unfair, just plain racist. It's the same with the Domiican policy. It doesn't matter if the racism is white, yellow, red, brown or black. It's all wrong.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This as we know is a very complex issue that's never going to be solved until both countries are equally well off economically. Any time there are two neighboring countries with a big economic disparity people from the poorer country will try to go the richer country as it is in our DNA to try to improve our personal lives.

The idealist in me feels that we are all humans from planet earth and as such we all should be able to live anywhere we damn please. There should be no borders telling people where they can or cannot live or visit and nobody is really "illegal" unless you're an alien from another planet and even then it could be extrapolated to the universe...

Anyhow as we know the reality of this world is that these borders have been put up over time and now we have to live with them. The biggest problem I have and the reason why I would advocate rounding up the kids from street (ALL kids not just Haitians) is that these kids should be in School and being taken care of and not taken advantage of. Also (to my great amazement) I actually agree a little bit with Cibaeno when he says that so called developed countries who have the resources should be the ones taking a lot these kids...either that or STFU about The DR's immigration policy. The DR being a relatively poor country should not shoulder the whole responsibility for this. The US for instance deports all Haitians caught trying to make it here without a visa, but of course allows Cubans to come in when in fact Haitians need it way more. Canada makes it almost impossible to grant them a visa and believe me Canada could use a few more million people to populate their vast expanses of empty land...

Anyhow is a messed up world with imperfect policies and we'll continue to see this cycle for years to come. Dominicans should not complain about Haitians as we're the first ones to allow them to come in for a fee and take advantage of their cheap labor.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
With the money that DR is so generously recieving from abroad, Leonel Fernandez should buy a 200 acres in Haiti right by the border and build The Haitian Refugee Town and Redevelopment Centre there. They could build a city, streets sewers, electricity, the works. All the illegal Haitians in the DR could be invited there and they would love it! All the Haitian construction workers, sugar cane cutters who are tired of suffering under the yoke of these Dominicans who are tyrants and devils to these poor angels who were dragged away from their magnificent idyll in Haiti, can now go back to their piece of paradise under Dominican auspicies!!!

I know you are saying this tongue in cheek but I actually think this would be part of the solution! I think we should ask for money for the Haitian people set up and run schools and factories there. Then we need to work on corruption here so that the money that our economy produces doesn't end up in the pockets of politicians and their friends. I would even set up training schools for the children that are begging in the streets in towns near the boarder. They will get food and education and it will provide jobs for Dominicans that live in these desolate areas of the country, such as Oviedo.
I would be good PR for DR.

I think everybody is ignoring the elephant in the room. These children roaming the streets most likely were sold or given away by their parents. Their parents are the culprits of what is happening. Their parents were the ones that committed the ultimate betrayal, they abandoned them! The worst that can happen to them is not being picked up and sent to refuge. Considering what their parents did and what they put through on a daily basis the Dominican authorities will be doing them a favor by picking them up. Who is to say that these children aren't being used for other, more deviant, activities?

They aren't an asset to DR nor will they be an asset to Haiti if they stay in the streets of Dominican cities. I'm all for the Dominican state picking them up, putting them up with room and board and giving them a chance to a life.

But of course since it's Dominicans dealing with Haitians in Dominican soil then it's got to be bad. I can't believe how quickly some forget how we gave, how we helped Haiti after the quake. Dominicans that had NOTHING gave the only thing they had, themselves. We gave blood, we gave breast milk, we gave them our hospital, we gave them food. Now we will give these children a chance of a decent life, something their own parents didn't care to do!

Mar 2, 2008
I can honestly see both sides of this issue. Illegal aliens are certainly a concern for all countries, particularly given the current situation.

However, I must say some the arguments used in this thread have been emotionally driven and without much merit.

In the US, there are certain regions where there are many more illegal aliens, percentage wise, than are currently in the DR. The differentce is they are needed for economic reasons, and are seem as being essential to farmers and within other economic sectors. In other words, they are often welcomed and have the support of he various local populations.

Obviously, the same can not be said for the DR. There are no readily available jobs here, or the ones that are available have already been filled by other Haitians, so the local population is not as accepting as in some agricultural regions of the US.

Be that as it may, we are still talking about childen, for the most part, and they must be handled much differently than illegal adults.

I sincerely doubt that the government of the DR has the will or the means to provide the type of care that is needed to handle this influx of children. Only an international organization such as the UN has the ability to take appropriate action.

All that being said, one must be careful not to buy into the various rants and bile that racists are presently interjecting into this mix. They are simply using the present situation to further their own twisted agenda. Please be aware of the motives behind a few of the posters on this thread.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
YES, I would have all illegals deported. The governments of both the US and DR are not doing their job regarding this issue. I would make it mandatory for all people in the US to have an ID card like one which is already required in the DR. Those without it would have to prove they are in the US legally or be deported. I agree that racism is wrong. Racism has nothing to do with my desire to see illegals deported from any country.

I am with you on this, windeguy. I am not a racist, either, but I cannot agree that just because an illegal has successfully evaded detection and able to cross the border that he is entitled to be rewarded with the benefits of any social welfare programs and public services that the country he sneaked into has available.

Expecting that a country's borders will be policed and those who avoid detection be deported is not racism.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
I can honestly see both sides of this issue. Illegal aliens are certainly a concern for all countries, particularly given the current situation.

However, I must say some the arguments used in this thread have been emotionally driven and without much merit.

In the US, there are certain regions where there are many more illegal aliens, percentage wise, than are currently in the DR. The differentce is they are needed for economic reasons, and are seem as being essential to farmers and within other economic sectors. In other words, they are often welcomed and have the support of he various local populations.

Obviously, the same can not be said for the DR. There are no readily available jobs here, or the ones that are available have already been filled by other Haitians, so the local population is not as accepting as in some agricultural regions of the US.

Be that as it may, we are still talking about childen, for the most part, and they must be handled much differently than illegal adults.

I sincerely doubt that the government of the DR has the will or the means to provide the type of care that is needed to handle this influx of children. Only an international organization such as the UN has the ability to take appropriate action.

All that being said, one must be careful not to buy into the various rants and bile that racists are presently interjecting into this mix. They are simply using the present situation to further their own twisted agenda. Please be aware of the motives behind a few of the posters on this thread.

i personally don't think they should only be targetting children, they should be targetting all illegal haitians. perhaps by deporting the kids, that will send a message to anyone who tries to disrespect our immigration laws.

and though my reasons for wanting to deport haitians isn't soly on their race or culture, it is a part of it as well. i like the dr being diverse with people of all colors and the dr would honestly not be the same if it were a black country like haiti. and i like dominican culture and our traditions and i dont want to see this lost due to mass immigration from a completely foreign country. in some areas of the dr i feel as if im the only dominican there. if we were taken over by a million useless norweigan beggars who still speak norwiegan and multiply like rats i would say the same thing. but my main motive is the economic problems that absorbing all of haiti's poor can bring and doing this will not solve haiti's problems, it will only make our own country's situation worse. haitians might even move on to another island if they end up destroying the entire island of hispaniola until theyve pretty much taken over most of the caribbean.

Status
Not open for further replies.