Dominican Driver's Licenses

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
one of our numerous Moderators will chime in and sort it out, leave the residency posts here and move our drivers license posts to a new topic with the subject just for that.
bad boys we are, hehe

hey Mods, where are ya when we wanna hear and see ya in action??

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
one of our numerous Moderators will chime in and sort it out, leave the residency posts here and move our drivers license posts to a new topic with the subject just for that.
bad boys we are, hehe

hey Mods, where are ya when we wanna hear and see ya in action??

Mike

Moved to a new thread.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and as we have now in general here the theme DR Driver's License, a addy for people from the East/PC/Bavaro/Veron/Higuey.
the license is then issued for 4 years.
when due for renewal(it always expires 4 years after the year it was issued in, but not on the issuing date, it expires on your Birthday), check out on time when the AMET has the next Feria sheduled in Higuey. they do that every once in a while, bringing in a mobile office for renewals etc. no need to drive to La Romana for that.
maybe by now they have their long planned fix office for that running in Higuey, when i renewed it was still the Feria. they been with their rolling office right in front of the Governmental Building across from the Basilica. they are always there for several days/a week at a time.
if such Feria-Date would be a couple weeks prior to your birthday/expiration date, dont worry and renew right away, as the new one will anyways be valid for 4 years again til your birthday, independend of the exact issuing date.

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We were told no blood test eye test etc,if I have to do that after paying the guy $200 each I will
be ****ed to say the least! We will see, we are having troubles meeting up with the guy bc we are both so busy.

Sounds like you will be getting fake licenses.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Sounds like you will be getting fake licenses.

Thinking back for my application for the license I got logged into the computerized system 6 times before the issue of the provisional license after presenting my cedula with proof of payment of fees at the first window.....no 7 because I had to give my left finger fingerprint to collect the temporary license. Forgot to mention that you get finger printed before your blood and eye tests and have to identify yourself using your index fingers thereafter.

Therefore seems it is not so easy to buy your way past all this if at all. I wait to find out

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a real license you get handed over at a real AMET office, just minutes after they took your photo right there at that particular office. anything els would highly suspicious for a fake license which then would not be in the system. not in the system means a Amet checking your license would see that and once due for renewal you couldnt renew, as not existing in the AMET's system.
there have always been lil sho9rtcuts to go around some things, but the important point is that at the end a AMET office is issuing your card right there, at their office. and of course You have paid the License Fee(the same when renewing again) with your Cedula Number at a Banco de Reservas. without those little side features a license will not be real.

Mike

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
We were told no blood test eye test etc,if I have to do that after paying the guy.........

What I was trying to reason was that you get fingerprinted at the registration desk for the blood and eye tests and after that your finger prints are used to register you for the training and again after completing training for the theory test and starting the theory test and then for the photograph and signature and the collection of your provisional license which lists your blood group.

It is therefore hard to see how you can bypass the blood and eye tests and still take the theory exam and get a genuine license.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Why take a shortcut ?...

Everything about the whole process is so easy and takes about 4 hours in total for the provisional license, then, if you ask politely they will let you come back in the morning for the driving test which should take about two hours maximum from start to finish, after two hours you walk out with you legit license.

Piece of cake and your legal !!

Renewals are even easier... You pay your impuestos, go in, they take your picture and your out in less than an hour & good to go for 4 more years...

Why take a shortcut ?...

Everything about the whole process is so easy and takes about 4 hours in total for the provisional license, then, if you ask politely they will let you come back in the morning for the driving test which should take about two hours maximum from start to finish, after two hours you walk out with you legit license.

Renewals are even easier... You pay your impuestos, go in, they take your picture and your out in less than an hour & good to go for 4 more years...

Ya from the NC it is not a 4 hour thing lmao for a new resident!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Why take a shortcut ?...

mine been a long time ago, so here i have to ask to not tell something outdated:
you still need to provide the papers from the driving school which state that you took a certain amount of driving lessons, right?

Mike

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
mine been a long time ago, so here i have to ask to not tell something outdated:
you still need to provide the papers from the driving school which state that you took a certain amount of driving lessons, right?

Mike

I suspect and hope not........at least this was not mentioned when receiving the temporary license.

I was given a note when collecting the Carnet de Aprendizaje, which advised that to for your practical test and full license you pay 990rd, submit your cedula and carnet de aprendizaje after 46 days and within one year and if you get a minimum of 75 points you pass. No mention of driving lessons. Also given was a date after which I can take the practical test.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
cool.
the price of 990.- pesos to be paid at Banco de Reservas is even still the same, considering the back in the day different exchange rate it all is well cheaper now.
that paper from the driving school i had to provide to get the aprentizaje carnet if i remember correctly. good to hear it is not needed anymore. that was something to do a "shortcut" on, you could "buy" it, hehe.

Mike

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
No one asked for driving school papers when I went in & as I didn't really want to go home & come back from the NC in 45 days I asked if I could come back in the morning and they said no problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For those on the north coast to be legally in the system with a photo, fingerprint, etc they must go to the office near the stadium.Palace of Justice are in Puerto Plata. Anything else is almost certainly paying for a fake license.

So we were at the office in POP waiting to do the video test and the gentlemen comes to tell us we can't be processed till we have the new Cedula. So our VIP guy tells us we can get new cedula's in the office 20 minutes away. I told him no we can't we have to go to SD bc we are expats but he insisted he called and asked and he could get it done. We get there and no of course we can't. :). So off to SD on Monday I guess to get the new Cedula. Lol.

We are really making our VIP guy work for his money!! Really nice guy though!!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
weird, as the old cedulas are still fully valid til january 10th 2015, nothing should be denied for having the old version of a cedula now, as long as not expired of course.
Harley, it doesnt sound like your VIP guys would be much in the know, or why would he tell you get a new cedula in POP?, lol.

good luck with your stuff, I do Soooo hate it when beeing told one thing and then traveling to such location just to be told it is all completely the opposite and an other travel to a other location is necessary, I do SOOOOO Hate that.
VIP, Very Id.iotic Peeps, lol

Mike