Dominican Driver's Licenses

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
weird, as the old cedulas are still fully valid til january 10th 2015, nothing should be denied for having the old version of a cedula now, as long as not expired of course.
Harley, it doesnt sound like your VIP guys would be much in the know, or why would he tell you get a new cedula in POP?, lol.

good luck with your stuff, I do Soooo hate it when beeing told one thing and then traveling to such location just to be told it is all completely the opposite and an other travel to a other location is necessary, I do SOOOOO Hate that.
VIP, Very Id.iotic Peeps, lol

Mike

I was going to say the same thing. Just like when you ask a "craftsman" if he can do a certain job, he says "Yes he can do that" and you end up with a bad job. I do not understand why a new cedula should be necessary, but at least HR will have that done before the deadline.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
here on the bord been told they close only for the regular holidays(dec 25th and jan 1st), open all other days including during the weekends. i have planned to do the ride for the new cedula on jan 3rd.
a cedula not found in the system could be a comletely different nightmare to come up, a Gov office with access to the registered cedulas does have access and sees the info up to date or does not have access at all, a old system they would work on? oh my. i hope you get that stuff done on monay and then back to that office for your license stuff. but if his system is old, i wonder how he wanna find your NEW few days ole Cedula then in his stoneage Mind??
haha

Mike

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For a VIP service I think you should expect the 'craftsman' to have at least had a copy of the video theory test for practice before going to the test center with your 1350rd banreserva receipt to get the police clearance document with cedula. Practicing a theory test example will certainly reduce the risk of failing and having to go to banreserva again, standing in line for perhaps half hour or more with other people that have failed and paying an extra 200rd for a resit.

I can only assume that the cedula was rejected by the guys checking for your police record which is strange since it was still valid.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There is no way around the theory test so you must be prepared.

If you follow the correct process for getting a provisional license you get issued with a drivers manual after registering for the medical, theory and training tests. In that manual and as is shown in the training video there are several dimensions (and speeds) which are asked in the theory test. For you guys from NA these dimensions are metric!

david_

Dec 8, 2012
So we were at the office in POP waiting to do the video test and the gentlemen comes to tell us we can't be processed till we have the new Cedula. So our VIP guy tells us we can get new cedula's in the office 20 minutes away. I told him no we can't we have to go to SD bc we are expats but he insisted he called and asked and he could get it done. We get there and no of course we can't. :). So off to SD on Monday I guess to get the new Cedula. Lol.

We are really making our VIP guy work for his money!! Really nice guy though!!

To help others avoid a similar mess, how did you come across this VIP person. And who is being referred to as a VIP, you or him. Another thought is if you used a similar VIP service for your cedula, could it be fake and that's the reason it's not on file? Hopefully not and everything will get sorted out for you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Harley... go for the cedula on the weekend.... less traffic -- open Sunday and Saturday

BTW, the VIP is my guy... I put them on to him.... he did me... legit at POP

To help others avoid a similar mess, how did you come across this VIP person. And who is being referred to as a VIP, you or him. Another thought is if you used a similar VIP service for your cedula, could it be fake and that's the reason it's not on file? Hopefully not and everything will get sorted out for you.

It's not the VIP guys fault, he has done a lot for us, even drove to our town 30 min from his house and showed my picture in our barrio to find me when he couldn't get a hold of me by phone.
It's just typical stupid Dominican Gov't stuff.

I used Guido Perdomo for my residency, not worried about it being fake.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes I was thinking the same thing about the Cedula, it should be accepted till Jan 10!! They said they can't find info on us in the system bc it's old. Ours does not expire till March.

That was a nonsensical response about why the cedula was not found.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
There are two software programs one for vota one for non-vota. We once were accused of having a "fake" card and I asked if they used the no-vota data base they said they only had the vota system. Further checking the non-vota proved we were legit. This was several years ago but still may be the answer.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I suspect and hope not........at least this was not mentioned when receiving the temporary license.

I was given a note when collecting the Carnet de Aprendizaje, which advised that to for your practical test and full license you pay 990rd, submit your cedula and carnet de aprendizaje after 46 days and within one year and if you get a minimum of 75 points you pass. No mention of driving lessons. Also given was a date after which I can take the practical test.

Took my practical test today in Santo Domingo in one of their manual Daihatsu cars. My test lasted no longer than a couple of minutes.....one lap of the test circuit on property. The instructor saw I was an experienced driver from the onset and cut short the test. I saw a few of the people before me on the test and I wondered how would they ever get a license to the rules back home!!

Cars provide free.

This second visit was much shorter than the first and of no more than an hour between registration and collecting the 4 year full license.

On reflection the whole process was very straight forward and inexpensive albeit a little bit of help might be needed if you are not fluent in Spanish before taking the theory test. Those planning to get their license should forget thinking about employing someone to help out and go straight to the nearest testing facility and enroll in the process.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You need a license to drive here?????????????????????
I better get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20 years is too long to go without!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Started the process in POP las4 monday....... I did say start.......
Went to place near stadium. Got a slip of paper with the stuff u need. Ok. They asked if u have a cedula. Ok.
Off to banreservas for taxes 1300 something for DL and 500 for certificado de bueno conducto. Ok.
Off to tribunal next to stadium. Riot outside the 2 windows that do the stuff there........ Official looking guy comes over ( volontary civil service or something or other.....), I'll jump theQ for u, if u are good to me........
Ok, is 200 pesos being good to u ?? Will do, give me 10 pesos more to do a copy of cedula. Ok.
Guy goes inside, comes back out with paper. Come back at 11.30 for certificado. Ok it was 09.30.
Back at 11.30, by this time full size riot ( still the same people by the way........), everybody complaining. Teller says his newyear resolution is to go cooooool on the job load !!!!!!!!! ( in any normal country, someone would have leaned through the opening in window, stuck 2 fingers up his nose and bang his face multiple times against the window........... but in the dr........... no everyone just hums and sighs........ I mean he wasnt even checking the peoples papers, just saying come back at 1400. ).
Anyway I push my way to the window and the guy actually checks my papers( thankfully). Says there is a problem,but not to sure what. Could u be more explicit please....... types a couple of stuff in his computer, turns out my cedula being only 10 days old, has not filtered down into their system.......come back next week.

Oh well, I tried..........