Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Today on the menu:

Pastelon de berejena - Eggplant Pastelon
Arroz blanco - White rice
Maiz sancochado - corn on the cob
Ensalda verde - green salad

Life is good :)

Thanks for the food name translations :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What's even better is because of the packaging I had to get one extra eggplant so now I just have to figure what I want to eat my berejena asada (roasted eggplant Dominican style) with tonight, hmm boiled plantain or yucca, it's all good.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
And Alter ego, how exactly do you cook yuca as mine is always stringy and horrid. Do you put it in boiling water or cold and bring it to the boil??

Matilda

It was always my mothers (Dominican btw) mantra to never boil the yucca with salt as it makes it too hard. She always puts the salt in the boiling water towards the end along with a few cloves of garlic. She would then make a 'mojo' with garlic, onions, oil, salt, and a dash of vinegar. She would then serve it in a huge bowl with crisp crumbled bacon sprinkled over it. To date hers is the softest, best tasting yucca I have ever tried, so maybe there is something to it.

Petey P

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
...I also like the fried fish and totones you get from the vendors around the beach area.

Am I the only one that has issues with the platanos on the island? I find they taste like crap! I grew up eating Dominican cuisine (I'm half Dominican), and by default a huge fan of platanos cooked in any form. Is it possible that we get better platanos here in the states?

Petey P

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Another simple recipe

I have heard that roast aubergines are good, recipe please. We had Yuca the other day, no problems but boiled it had no flavour, suggestions please,

Mash the yuca, add milk, butter, little salt and pepper. Don't forget to remove the strings

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Where are the green vegetables? I do see lettuce, peppers, and very thin string beans, I see cabbage but always raw in a salad and never cooked. I saw okra in the market but never in a meal unless Jamaicans cooked it. I bought some home and my wife didn't know what to do with it and I think she's an excellent cook. I breaded and fried it. Also I cooked it with stewed tomatoes and bacon.

Also she never uses the oven. For lasagna, corn bread or roast anything(chicken, beef, or pork). What's up with that?

And I love her soups, especially fish.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Am I the only one that has issues with the platanos on the island? I find they taste like crap! I grew up eating Dominican cuisine (I'm half Dominican), and by default a huge fan of platanos cooked in any form. Is it possible that we get better platanos here in the states?

Petey P

While that is possible, I have found that plantains are not a food item unless they are very, very ripe. I can eat no other version.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
While that is possible, I have found that plantains are not a food item unless they are very, very ripe. I can eat no other version.

My gripe is the flavor of platanos when making tostones. I find they don't get very crispy and taste extremely starchy.

I was at a market on my last trip and it was explained to me that they have several types of platanos, and one called "platanos americanos". Has anyone ever heard of this?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
It is just like potato. If you don't salt it or add other condiments it has little taste.

I eat it the traditional way mostly boiled with salt added to the water. I like to eat it with Gouda cheese or a sweet smoked sausage from La Sirena has called "Maseca".

It is also very good in soup and even better than potato because it really absorbs the flavor of the soup.

They are also great deep fried or even after boiled, just like the yum and sweet potatoes.
I also like my boiled yucca with some butter or some fried red onions.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Make your "Tostones" from green bananas,not "Plantanos"
AND,they are much cheaper!.
I like them much better!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You do know that you have to deep fry them twice,RIGHT????

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today it will be baked salmon in herb and mustard sauce, couscous with olives and chickpeas salad. nice!

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Nobody seems to care about mondongo ??? Abs delicious with a drop of lime juice and a touch of hot pepper.

And although not Dominican, but yesterday I got a green (unripe) lechosa (pappaya) and made Thai papaya salad c/w dried shrimp etc, totally delicious. What would cost 4 or 5 quid in the UK cost me less than 1 and I have enough left over to make another 3 or 4 of same. :laugh:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love mondongo :)
and many other foods gringos would not touch: arenque (herring), bacalao (cod, i think, salted), morcilla (blood sausage), cangrejos whole (small dominican crabs).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I had "small Dominican crabs" once!
Got them from a "small Dominican girl"!!!!!!!!
'PEDICULOSIS DOMINICANUS" I was TOLD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I had "small Dominican crabs" once!
Got them from a "small Dominican girl"!!!!!!!!
'PEDICULOSIS DOMINICANUS" I was TOLD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nf5k4omNHw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ahh. CC sitting on his thrown!!!! jejejejejeje

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
i love mondongo :)
and many other foods gringos would not touch: arenque (herring), bacalao (cod, i think, salted), morcilla (blood sausage), cangrejos whole (small dominican crabs).

Certainly most Scottish would not care for mondongo, but I ate it ( tripe n onions) with my dad as a little boy, but I think many would not hesitate for a minute on herring, raw as in roll mops, or split and fried or grilled as kippers, cod, black pudding (blood sausage - no other medicine required for a severe hangover than a full English or Scottish breakfast with black pudding and potato scones, bacon, egg etc etc). :cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BB",I,"sadly", have more incommon with that "GUY" than the "CRABS"!!!!!!!!
The older I get,the smaller "IT" gets,and the bigger my "SACK"!

"Who Knew"?????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC