Dominican ingenuity

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our bin is searched regularly. i always leave useful stuff in a separate bag, from old shoes to nails, pieces of wood, pipe and so on.

i used to watch milk seller arrive in a barrio with barrel full of milk, selling by ladle measure. people would bring powder milk cans, margarine tubs, plastic chloro bottles, rum bottles, pans, pots, plastic and glass jars.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Out of the blue,

Paint buckets ( empty) used as a place for hens to lay eggs.
Disconnected fridge used as wardrobe.
Barbed wire used as clothes hanger.
Empty cloro bottles used as water containers.
Knifes used as screw drivers.
Stones used as hammers.
Piece of metal used as a fuse.
Diffrent size tyres on a car.
Diffrent colour bulbs in car headlights.
I have seen all that in my own house........ at the beginning.

In the campo:

Those 5 gallon paint buckets are like gold, used for everything.
The big blue barrels are even higher on the "dream" list.
Laundry is dried on fences and on cactus plants. The lucky ones have a wire to hang the clothes, but rarely clothespins.
Empty gallon bottles of cloro, mistolin, etc., are cut out [leaving the handle intact] and used as scoops for water, etc.
Skinny tall trees are cut and cleaned, and used to frame wooden houses.
Tire rims are repurposed as a BBQ - they weld metal legs onto them.
Old suitcases are used as dressers.
A rope nailed to the walls catty-cornered serves as a closet to hang clothes.

A million other little things, nothing coming to mind right now.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Barbed wire used as clothes hanger.

I never quite get this one. It surely can't be a good idea to use barbed wire as a clothes line can it? Surely it must trash the clothes.

OK, got another one.
My bike chain broke whilst i was up in the hills near Joba Arriba last year. Got to a mechanic and asked him if he had a chain link extractor.
Overjoyed mometarily when he said yes.....yes, but....it was broken!
No problem however as he managed to extract the pin from the chain-link using only a screwdriver and a hammer....no mean feat!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My fence posts are pi?on like everybodys in the campo. There's probably 50 + posts.
Twice a year I cut the growth and use the wood for everything.
Hen houses, pegs for rocks, plant pots decoration, traps for zombies, props for bana a trees and flowers and plants.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
My best super Swiss kitchen knife used as a can opener and hammer + screwdriver.......

(When the can opener is next to it in the drawer)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My best super Swiss kitchen knife used as a can opener and hammer + screwdriver.......

I think the can opener baffles them, especially campesinos. I've had the same maid for years, and she still brings me the can and opener and asks me to open it. I tried to show her countless times, now I just shut up and open the can. Much better than her using my good knives.... :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you and everybody else. i posted once that my friend's girlfriend had never seen a can opener until she went to his house the first time. people did not believe me.

it's a true story.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
you and everybody else. i posted once that my friend's girlfriend had never seen a can opener until she went to his house the first time. people did not believe me.

it's a true story.

My friends wife who is a surgeon at a major hospital in Santo Domingo did not know how to turn on the stove......And it was electric.....BTW Dominicans use knives to open cans. That's why all the tips are broken or damaged......LOL

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
that is standard operating procedure everywhere...

That is what i thought as well? iT it is the same everywhere! If you have an older model, what exactly would you do? Find a Hanger, get it open or call a locksmith or remove the lock and take it to Home depot and have the key made? it is not a DOMINICAN SPECIALTY!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the campo:

Those 5 gallon paint buckets are like gold, used for everything.
The big blue barrels are even higher on the "dream" list.
Laundry is dried on fences and on cactus plants. The lucky ones have a wire to hang the clothes, but rarely clothespins.
Empty gallon bottles of cloro, mistolin, etc., are cut out [leaving the handle intact] and used as scoops for water, etc.
Skinny tall trees are cut and cleaned, and used to frame wooden houses.
Tire rims are repurposed as a BBQ - they weld metal legs onto them.
Old suitcases are used as dressers.
A rope nailed to the walls catty-cornered serves as a closet to hang clothes.

A million other little things, nothing coming to mind right now.

i live in a very nice apartment building, with a large security gate for which all the tenants have their own keys. when i moved in, my sector had a girl from Estonia, a German, and a Russian lady. they all have moved on, and now they have rented two of the apartments to Dominicans. one is a sanky, for whom some Canadian girl pays the rent, and a government official of sorts.

now, on certain occasions when you get home, the main entrance gate is used as a clothesline. all manner of laundry hanging on the gate. it would be nice if i didn't have to walk behind them and close the gate after they leave. they are just too lazy to lock the darn thing behind themselves. i check it every night before i turn in to bed. it makes you wonder.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
THE MYTH: If you don’t have a condom, you can use plastic wrap or a plastic bag.

One popular myth we hear all the time is that you can improvise a homemade "condom" if one is not available to you. We've heard all sorts of suggestions—plastic wrap, baggies, balloons, plastic shower caps, tin foil (yikes!), even a snack-sized Doritos bag—and all sorts of methods for making them work.

THE TRUTH: Before you decide to get all DIY and start MacGyvering up a homemade condom, here's what you need to know. Plastic wrap, baggies, and other household materials are not good substitutes for a condom. They don't fit well, can easily be torn, and can get displaced during sex. Condoms are specifically made to provide a good fit and good protection during sex and they are thoroughly tested for maximum effectiveness. When it comes to condoms, there's no substitute for the real thing.
THE VERDICT: Use a real condom and don't improvise. If you don't have one, don't talk yourself into thinking a piece of plastic wrap or a baggie is going to do the trick, because it won't work. Go to the drug store or visit a health clinic to get some. For maximum pregnancy prevention, use condoms with another form of birth control, be sure to check the expiration date, and follow the instructions carefully every single time.

Stay Teen | Myth vs. Fact: Homemade Condoms

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have heard of Dominicans using an iron to make grill cheese sandwishes just like "jailbirds" do. hahahahahaha

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my windshield rearview mirror fell off...

efforts to re-attach w/ the special mirror glue only served to remove chunk of glass from the windshield

I went to my 'taller' for some RD ingenuity

they fashioned a bent stem that they drilled into the windscreen frame and hung the rearview mirror on

works like a charm