Dominican ingenuity

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
when there's money to save, the locals can come up with some pretty ingenious solutions i find.

Here's my recent example...

I rather brilliantly managed to lose the only key to my vehicle a few days ago. Thinking i would have to get all the locks changed and a new ignition set, i feared it was gonna cost me.
Then i thought, hmm i bet there's a Dominican solution to this.

My mechanic came over today, removed the lock from the back door of the car and has sent it to a locksmith in Puerto Plata who will apparently make a key from the lock....brilliant!

In europe this cock-up would have cost me a small fortune, here i suspect I'm looking at a bill for a few hundred pesos at worst.

So, whats your examples...

I was having issues with the starter on a ford lehman 6 cyl. Bought two starters at 350.00 us each. Last one lasted about 4 months. We were anchored in Luperon, so I pulled the starter and took it to a guy in POP that works on starters and alternators. He tore the starter down finding that the issue was in the solenoid and bendix set up. He started measuring, comparing other solenoids, and measuring the gear where the wear was at. He ended up putting several different parts together measuring the throw on the gear when engaged. Handed it back to me telling me I wouldn't have anymore problems. He never asked me what it was for, and never looked up a part number. Just measured, mixed and matched parts. Charged me 600 pesos. This was four years ago, and still using the same starter.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Dominican extension cord (electric tape/2 wires) for wall fan....

fz3z85.jpg

Mobile music system.....

286ybsl.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we can illustrate examples?

here, fixing electric cables, no need for a ladder:

154isfq.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my cupboard hinge had a stripped thread.....

we needed to go up one in screw sizes..tiny, tiny screw

my man returns from the garage with the correct size..
scavenged from the retired 'el trimmer' from 4 yrs ago (never throw anything out)

cupboard door works better than new....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
copy-as-you-go:

f2phe8.png

have you never needed a photo at Migracion.... cross the street to the west

sit in a large cardboard box and stay still
photo taken

he goes around the corner, prints the photo
you pay

and return to Migracion....

all done in 5 minutes.........

it goes on your card.... for 4 years

and you remember that cardboard box for ever

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Yesterday I saw a banana seller who goes around with a wheel barrow now also offers corn on the cob.
He set up a makeshift wire grill with charcoal to grill the corn.
Just as I was thinking that was pretty ingenious up the street comes another banana seller with the same set up.
Then wondered did they came up with the idea at the same time or is there a new grill/charcoal seller in town?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Have also seen the drum from a washing machine used for a grill

scuse me! my dad made the exact same thing: bbq with a drum from a washing machine with legs welded on and a grill made from shopping trolley. i'll have you know this contraption has been used for over 12 years and still going!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
of course if u dont mind spending a few bucks the key maker comes to you...which is the normal way i think...ur already ****ed now dig in and pay n foolish not to have a key(look whose talking) but my key costs alot of money....