Dominican ingenuity

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and of course the first one i saw was two guys on a honda cub....dragging six 20 foot steel rods ...three in each hand...(passenger) is holding them, i wonder if they switched positions,....this would go on all day....all week...i wasnt there when they switched to cement bags...ha ha ha

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
of course if u dont mind spending a few bucks the key maker comes to you...which is the normal way i think...ur already ****ed now dig in and pay n foolish not to have a key(look whose talking) but my key costs alot of money....

well, chic, i think the key maker will have to come to you whether or not you spend a few extra bucks. normally, when you lose your keys, you can't go to them.

then again, i do not know how things function out where you are.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
of course if u dont mind spending a few bucks the key maker comes to you...which is the normal way i think...ur already ****ed now dig in and pay n foolish not to have a key(look whose talking) but my key costs alot of money....

Thats a great idea Chic, having the guy who copies your car key coming to see the place where you live and keep your car.
Quite brilliant

May 29, 2006
I think the can opener baffles them, especially campesinos. I've had the same maid for years, and she still brings me the can and opener and asks me to open it. I tried to show her countless times, now I just shut up and open the can. Much better than her using my good knives.... :)

I might get a box of P-38 can openers for gifts on my next trip. They work like using a knife as a can opener and every GI had them back in WWII and I think Viet Nam. It's suppose to take 38 cranks to open a can with one. Handy because you can put it on a keychain and it also works as a bottle opener.

CanOpener%2BP51%2B2010-06-20.jpg

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hell, that's the first can opener i ever learnt how to use. a partner in all scouting trips and a trusted tool for traveling with my parents.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I might get a box of P-38 can openers for gifts on my next trip. They work like using a knife as a can opener and every GI had them back in WWII and I think Viet Nam. It's suppose to take 38 cranks to open a can with one. Handy because you can put it on a keychain and it also works as a bottle opener.

CanOpener%2BP51%2B2010-06-20.jpg

P-38 Can Opener The Armys Greatest Invention

they won't sell well here. any campesina with a knife can open a can with 5 cranks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two examples of "ingenuity" i genuinely hate is using knife to open cans and putting the laundry on any available surface including sidewalk. i learnt how to use a can opener when i was under 10. adults who cannot comprehend this must be mentally retarded. as far as the laundry goes, for crying out loud, to dry it in dirt defies the very purpose of cleaning it. if you can afford clothing you can afford a piece of string/cable. god damn.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
When I ran a restaurant for 6 months I bought 3 different can openers and each one lasted less than a week. So I let my Haitian cook use the knife which she felt more comfortable with.

This is one thing I really dislike about my wife. She wont use a can opener and prefers to use a knife. I buy good knives, and it pi$$es me off when I go to use one and the tip is broken off. She could even use the same one but doesn't, so all of them end up with broken tips. Dominicanas.. whatta ya gunna do..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is one thing I really dislike about my wife. She wont use a can opener and prefers to use a knife. I buy good knives, and it pi$$es me off when I go to use one and the tip is broken off. She could even use the same one but doesn't, so all of them end up with broken tips. Dominicanas.. whatta ya gunna do..

your fault. time to lay down the law that you are the only one in the house that is allowed to touch your good knives. i have been that way before, with a helper using my 75 dollar chef's knife to open a can. i made her know that under no circumstances was she allowed to touch the thing. not even to wash it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lets not stray into "dominican destruction" because i could talk about our maid for hours. we call her HULK SMASH. :D

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Merge and re-open.

I was trying to find the Only in DR thread and merge this one that way one thread exist.

I will keep looking.