Dominican Remedies

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
On my recent trip to POP, I had a sunburn. And that evening on the way home from Terrazo Caribe, one of my friends who lives there harvested some neighbour's :paranoid: salvia and handed it to me instructing me to cut the plant open and reem out the gel inside the plant. The car reeked, I thought cats were in heat in the neighbourhood or something. Little did I know it was me! I put some of the gel on my cheeks and it dried... Smiled and said good evening to the doorman at the Merien and noticed later I was covered in greenish-yellow dried slime. I cut the plant open with my eyebrow tweezers (useful travel item for little blonde moustaches). Scraped out the gel and slathered in on my burnt areas and went to bed. My burn was much better the next day!

When I explained to the housekeeping staff and minibar service man that the jar in the minibar fridge was not snot or any other bodily fluid, they told me that salvia (aloe vera) is used for treating grippe (mixed with bee honey). The lady who made the bed gestured behind the back of the minibar man that salvia is good for EVERYTHING as she raised her eyebrows.... Can any one elaborate on what it's used for?

Do people grow salvia and process the aloe vera for sale in the DR? I hope that was in fact aloe vera gel!!!
Sabila is super fantastic on all skin ailments.
Even if you had some problem that required a special treatment, like a wart or an infection, Sabila would still help.
In certain cases, like burns and irritations, it's nothing short of miraculous.
You are correct that some people take it internally, however I have no proof/evidence to confirm it's alleged capacities.
As for harvesting it, that's the big joke.
All these creams and ointments that contain Aloe, are just a farce.
It loses it's medicinal properties in a very short period of time.
The only good served by the Aloe in those creams and ointments, is that it helps them sell the product.

If you keep Sabila nearby and can get it onto a wound or burn within a minute or less, the results are so astounding, that it truly is unbelievable.
I have been burned in the back, melting the skin and flesh, almost to the bone, got cold water on it within seconds, and Sabila within 30 or 40 seconds, and 3 minutes later I felt no pain.
I continued to use for a week, maybe more, and now you can't even see the scar from the burn, or at least it is so light, it's almost invisible.

Other products that we hear about that have supposed medicinal capacities, pale in comparison to what Sabila can do.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's sabila - salvia is sage. It does work wonders, and there are some locally produced gels and syrups for skin and other ailments.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
I shall never forget the sight of my Dominican friend putting menthol on the too tight foreskin of her little boys willie. It made me cringe and him howl!
Is there nothing they wont use the stuff on?

Toothpaste for zits is a remedy here in the UK as well.

Rio,
where in the UK are you? I travel there about every 3 months :)
LOOOVE IT THERE!!!

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
drink a tiny bit of camphor for stomach issues - although lethal in high doses

for cuts relating to stepping on a rusty nail and avoid infection- mashed up garlic and wrap it up and leave on your foot to draw out "toxins".

for heartburn, a capfull of vinagre

te de anise y malagueta for colic babies (this works WOOONDERS, my two boys were always good thanks to this tea)

berron for muscle aches.

sugar and honey for face scrug

honey and salt for sore throats

avocado for the hair

breastmilk for ear infections

Jan 5, 2006
Urine baths were commonly used for measles (sarampion).

Tea from linden leaves (tilo) or camomile flowers (manzanilla) to help calm/relax.

Honey and lemon for coughs. Doctors in the US recommend it to pregnant women.

The concoction made with onions was originally made with shallots (cebollin).

Camphor is also used to alleviate a congested nose.

Chew on a clove (clavo dulce) for toothaches.

Jan 5, 2006
I had a fungal toenail infection for the last 15 years or so... When I went to the DR last summer, a cousin of mine boiled eucaliptus tree bark twice a day for me to dip my foot in that hot tea. I now have a new nail.

Similiar to tea tree oil, I guess.

Tea tree oil which is native to Australia has long been used for its antiseptic and antifungal properties.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Breast Milk

I can't believe no one else has mentioned bis bapo ru!!! The cure-all, I've seen it for sore throats of course, but as well for sore muscles, bruises, and zits.

The other cure-all is breast milk. Anything a baby has can apparently be cured with it. I am a strong supporter of breast-fed babies, but sometimes one has to draw the line. Like putting it in their eyes to cure an infection. But what do I know...

I'll go along with the breast milk squirted in the babies eyes when they have an infection - my wife always did it and it seemed to work quite quickly - it must contain all the anti-bodies the baby needs so must be pretty special stuff.

May 29, 2006
Dried guatapanal pods - any idea what this is actually called in English? - for sore throats; and a concoction of watercress (berro) radish (rabano) honey and onion for 'gripe'; and berr?n (Bay Rum) for fever, as a disinfectant, etc.

I tried the guatapanal mouthwash in the DR. Really strong stuff, but I don't know how much was the guatapanal and how much was H2O2 or some other chemical. Sure does a great job whatever it is. Not available in the US as far as I know.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Take leaves from mango tree and boil them in water. Let cool off and use the water to gargle for a sore throat.

Make tea boiling water with fresh oregano leaves for stomach pain.

Waylon

Nov 19, 2010
I have some pimples home remedies are...

*Combine cinnamon powder with honey and form it into paste. Right before sleeping, apply the mixture to your face and wash it the next morning. Do this every night for about 2 weeks and you will no longer worry about pimples.
*Applying an orange peel paste on the area of your face with pimples is another effective way. The orange peel should become a paste by grinding it with little water.
*For additional protection from the formation of blackheads, combine 1 part fresh lime juice with 1 part groundnut oil. Apply the mixture to your face.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Conjunctivitis

Certainly the old faithful limon, canela y miel (lemon, cinnamon and honey) tea seems to fend off the gripe if you take it at the early stage...as does the mamajuana.

My friend recommends cereza (Dominican cherries) for conjunctivitis. Just squeeze the juice in your eyes and she claims it cures it within a day. I haven't tried it yet but will do if I can get hold of any when the dreaded conjunctivitis strikes. I don't know if it would work with the big, fat, juicy cherries I know and love but as I never see those here, I guess I'll never get to find out.

This is definitely preferable to washing your eyes with washing soap, as a lot of people do here.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Chest problems

I forgot to mention this one. I had a friend who kept a turtle for the express purpose of extracting its blood with a syringe and giving it to his boy who suffered with chronic chest problems....apparently it was recommended by a doctor! The poor turtle was kept in the well for the express purpose...the child did seem to improve, however, but I really can't say if it was as a result of the turtle's blood.....where are the Animals Rights people?

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Makes me laugh to see my new born girls when they have "hipos" (hiccups), their mum or gran pulls a small thread from their bib or towel, rolls it into a small ball and sticks it to their forehead !!! (the babies I mean for the avoidance of doubt)l And it works no need for the dinnefords water here.