Dominican Republic Citizens to Get Visa-Free Entry to Schengen Area Countries of Euro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why does the OP consider this to be a foregone conclusion when only a request has been made to consider it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think this was a clown bin post by Pichi. No mentions of it anywhere else on the Web.

Picahardo did post this link:

Dominican Republic Citizens to Get Visa-Free Entry to Schengen Area Countries of Europe

The Dominican Republic has applied to the European Union stating that DR Citizens be allowed short stay visa free travel to the Schengen area countries of Europe. It is stated by Arelis Versa law firm that Dominican Republic meets the criteria set out by the EU Constitution for visa free travel of up to 90 days. Arelis Versa is a law firm working in DR; the firm believes strongly in the approval of abovementioned application.

Approval of this application means that the citizens of DR will have visa free short stay access to 26 or so more countries than before. This is to add a lot of value to the DR government’s Citizenship Investment Program. The Citizen Investment Program was instituted by the DR government’s department of Export and Investment (CEI-RD).

Main motive of the program is to promote and encourage foreign investment in Dominican Republic. In accordance to this program, foreign investors can invest in a small number of exclusive resort properties to get a residency in the DR and eventually a dual citizenship.

With DR Citizens having visa free travel opportunities to the Schengen area countries of Europe for up to 90 days for tourism and business purposes, the Citizenship Investment Program becomes the DR governments most prized tool for attracting foreign investors.

It is also propagated by Arelis Versa law firm in an open letter that a similar visa waiver program to and from the US for Dominican and US citizen seems like a high possibility in 2016. The report on said matter has been conducted by the Dominican Republic Tourism and Immigration Department.

###

Contact

http://cei-rd.gob.do
CEI-RD
Av. Luper?n
Dominican Republic

Published on: 2016-02-20

Why the EU would "approve" this so called "application" I have no idea. It just looks like wishful thinking by someone in the DR. As for the open letter to the US, good luck with that as well.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
it can happen as Mexican can enter EU visa free for 90 days. Dominicans can enter japan, Malaysia and Singapore for 90 days visa free. there is a better chance of them getting visa free approval for Dominican passports with american and / or Canadian visa already stamped in order to enter EU visa free.
I certainly hope they will approve that for any ordinary Dominican to travel to EU visa free.
Here is my experience in EU:
I drove with a friend to EU from london. As we neared the Dover entrance to the euro tunnel to go to France we were met with EU authorities at a passport control booth. They took out passports (my friend had UK passport and I have US passport). The immigration officer took the passports in hand, asked us where we were going and then just returned them to us without even opening them. No problem. Now we were in France, then Belgium then Germany and finally we arrived in Prague, Czech republic. After a few days I went to the airport to leave for atlanta from Prague airport. To my surprise, I was detained at the immigration as I didn't have an entrance schengen visa stamp. The officer asked me how did I enter schengen zone? i told him I came in my friend's car from london through the Euro tunnel into france and then to here. He explains to me that I should have been stamped at french border. I told him they were not doing it at the time I entered. The agent didn't believe me and said I needed an entrance stamp. I said this is not my concern as I was never given any by immigration at french border. So he was all confused and started to make calls to his supervisor. then he asked me all kinds of trick questions about my travel from UK to here. asked me what i did with the car if I am taking a plane to USA? I told him my friend drove me here and he is going back alone. He was not convinced that a person would drive all the way back to UK alone. hahahaha. mind you, it's only a 12 hr journey back. Something we used to do regularly in USA, driving to miami from atlanta and back. I guess it's considered a great distance in EU. Anyway he gets a call back from his superiors and I was given the permission to leave.
The moral of the story is, EU doesn't have their own Sh&t in order so why worry about letting some dominican tourists come in for tourism? let the dominican tourists come and spend money there.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
I don't see a point of your post, AZB.

You know very well you are supposed to get an entry stamp. You are supposed to get an entry stamp even IN THE DR s a tourist, else you face problems and delays when leaving ... you are supposed to get an entry stamp in Colombia or you can get stopped at road blocks and detained for overstaying/being illegal, nto even super ordeal when leaving Colombia.

You know ALL THAT. Don't act surprised that you were delayed when leaving the EU. Same thing would have happened to you in the DR or Colombia if entering/leaving as a tourist.

You didn't get your stamp in UK/France, OK, you were supposed to ASK for it, specially if you knew you would be leaving Schengen zone by AIR. You probably do not get entry stamp when entering Colombia by road from Venezuela (I have even heard of unguarded border crossings) but you still need to show one when leaving Colombia by Air.

It is your responsibility to have that stamp in the passport. EU citizens do not get stamps on Schengen entry/exit. The officer was most likely confused by seeing a UK passport, and may have even assumed your USA passport to be UK one, especially if he did not check them well and the UK passport was on the top.

Again, it was your and only your own duty and in your benefit to request an entry stamp. You would have done that entering Mexico, Colombia Peru or any other country by land, because you know you would have problems leaving by AIR from those countries with no entry stamp.

So come on, don't act surprised, you take any chance to throw a punch towards the EU.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why worry about letting some dominican tourists come in for tourism? let the dominican tourists come and spend money there.

those dominicans who have the money to go europe to spend it already have visas and can travel pretty much anywhere they want.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
BTW Dominicans with a green card can visit Canada visa free but Dominicans with a Canadian PR need a visa to visit the US.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

You know very well you are supposed to get an entry stamp. You are supposed to get an entry stamp even IN THE DR s a tourist, else you face problems and delays when leaving ... you are supposed to get an entry stamp in Colombia or you can get stopped at road blocks and detained for overstaying/being illegal, nto even super ordeal when leaving Colombia.

You know ALL THAT. Don't act surprised that you were delayed when leaving the EU. Same thing would have happened to you in the DR or Colombia if entering/leaving as a tourist.

You didn't get your stamp in UK/France, OK, you were supposed to ASK for it, specially if you knew you would be leaving Schengen zone by AIR. You probably do not get entry stamp when entering Colombia by road from Venezuela (I have even heard of unguarded border crossings) but you still need to show one when leaving Colombia by Air.

It is your responsibility to have that stamp in the passport. EU citizens do not get stamps on Schengen entry/exit. The officer was most likely confused by seeing a UK passport, and may have even assumed your USA passport to be UK one, especially if he did not check them well and the UK passport was on the top.

Again, it was your and only your own duty and in your benefit to request an entry stamp. You would have done that entering Mexico, Colombia Peru or any other country by land, because you know you would have problems leaving by AIR from those countries with no entry stamp.

So come on, don't act surprised, you take any chance to throw a punch towards the EU.

total non-sense. I gave my passport to the immigration officer and he knew we were crossing into EU zone. he did see my passport as american but he never really bothered to open it up. So you are telling me that it's my responsibility to tell EU immigration how he should be doing his job? hahahaha. total non-sense.
here is another example: I have been to Germany twice and I have never been stamped. 1995, I landed in Frankfurt and left the airport to spend a day there. The immigration officer took my passport and without opening it, he asked me what i was doing in germany? I told him I have a day to kill at the airport because my flight to moscow leaves at 10pm. Mind you, I was there 7am in the morning. He returned my passport without even opening it. So I assumed he refused the entry. I got a bit upset and asked, why I am being refused entry? he laughed and said, when did I say I am refusing you the entry? he just showed me the way out of the airport. So I never got an entry stamp at german airport yet I spent a whole day in frankfurt. My flight was international flight, from atlanta. I had to take pictures of myself to prove to people I was in frankfurt. I guess it was my responsibility to show immigration how he should be doing his job correctly? just Because rubio feels the tourist has the responsibility to know the immigration laws that qualifies one to become an immigration officer at any country. hahahaha
AZB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How long will it take before the EU says no to the Dominican request for visa free travel to the EU?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

if you failed to see the point, then i will repeat it again. The officer didn't even open up the passports. Now imagine if I was using someone else's passport to gain entry into EU, how hard that would have been if the immigration officer didn't even bother to open up the passport? i guess I should have informed him of his duties. If they are not required to check passports then why even bother having a passport check post at the border? save money and let everyone in from UK side. I could have been an illegal in UK and traveling with stolen american passport or worse if I am wanted. No check at all at the border. Then they have the audacity to ask me for being responsible for gaining an entry stamp. what a joke.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
rubio meant that there is no mention of this elsewhere.

not a joke, this can happen as mexico can enter EU zone and I have been to mexico. Not everyone is rich as Alejandro Fernandez. Argentinians can enter EU as well without visa, but I understand, argentina is in a different league but mexico is not far off from DR when you compare the poverty level of common people in both countries.
I sure hope this gets approved and dominicans will have the opportunity to travel to Europe.
Some of you people live in this country and enjoy the benefits this land has to offer yet many are so opposed to having this country get further in international arena. Shame on you folks for having such evil feeling towards dominicans who have accepted you with open arms into their own country.
I only wish the best for dominicans and I hope this gets approved by the EU government. Then I will look at your faces and have a nice laughter.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
right. it still does not change the fact that i cannot see any info about this on other news sites. even this one: http://www.wopular.com/free-republic-caucus-2016-0222 just links back to the article posted by pichipichi. there is no info about "arelis versa" law firm either.

according to wiki EU plans to expand visa free travel permit to few countries in 2016, DR is not there. EU is also allegedly in negotiations with few other countries, again, DR is not listed.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
OK, everyone. As a reminder, let's leave race and interpersonal bickering out of this.

Any posts bringing up skin color, race, or religion will be deleted.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004