Dominican republic to pull half-a-million guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If there are ZERO guns nobody gets shot...... is that some kind of mathematical formula or something......
If there are ZERO cars, buses, motorbikes, nobody dies in road accidents........
If there are ZERO machetes, nobody gets cut up.........
If there are ZERO bricks, nobody gets their head caved in by a brick...........

essentially this is all true. luckily humans are inventive by nature and they always find some exciting ways to kill others (or themselves), this is twenty first century earth and not utopia. illegal guns are a problem here, thou. i doubt whether a thief entering your house has a license to carry. but then, obtaining a gun is easy enough. all the criminal needs to do is to kill someone who carries a legal gun and take it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How does removing guns from people who acquired them legally have any effect on the criminal ownership numbers? Pass another law is a cheap and easy way to appear to accomplish something.The real solution is for the police to get to work on the criminal element in the DR. Police inactivity and corruption is the bigger problem crying out for a solution but passing some new laws will not change that entrenched system. Removing legal guns will only make more people vulnerable to those who are illegally armed.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. If you took every legal gun out of the country it would not be safe anywhere. I have been a legal gun owner for many years, I am not a moron and they do nothing but set in a gun case but if you break into my house in the middle of the night it's not going to work out so well for you.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I think some are taking it to the extreme. Nobody is saying that if ALL guns are removed
NOBODY will get shot. That is just utter stupidity. What is being said is the number of
people SHOT will be drastically REDUCED and not ALL guns will be removed. Just a percentage.

Aug 6, 2006
Again, law enforcement officers and military will always have guns, and eventually someone who is supposed to have a gun will allow it to get stolen or will run amok himself. It is always a matter of percentages. If I buy a lottery ticket it is possible that I might win, but most likely that I will lose it all. It I invest in VTI, which is the total stock market, the odds are that in a year I will have gained, but it is only almost impossible that I could lose it all.

Switzerland is a safe country and there is a rifle in over half the homes. But the Swiss have strict controls, and it is much more unlikely for anyone to get shot compared with the USA.

There are morons with guns. The Duck Dynasty guys are not morons, but they play morons on TV, and lots of morons want to emulate them. There are many things that stop a bad guy with a gun, one of which is to take his gun away from him. The idea that the only way that anyone can be safe from being shot in the US is to constantly be armed is not a good idea at all. Too many people think of a gun as a way to turn off people they do not like in the same way that a remote is a way to turn off programs they do not like.

Aug 6, 2006
Several decades ago, I taught college classes in Dade Correctional, a medium security prison far south of Homestead for three years. I took turns carpooling there with another professor. We had to leave at 3:00 PM to get to DCI by 6:00 and then we taught a class for four hours. My prison students were the best students I had in 40 years of teaching. A lot of the DCI inmates were illiterate or had not completed their GED's, and the program was voluntary. My students were highly motivated. After two years, we graduated 30 students with AA degrees. The next year, we graduated another 30 or so. I was paid $1100 per course, which was the equivalent of teaching a full year for $8800.

Then some genius in the FL state legislature said that we should not provide a free education for prisoners when we did not provide free college for law abiding students. This would make sense if not for the fact that a college degree generally resulted in the ex-con getting a decent well-paying job and returned to prison much less often. It cost about half as much to provide a BA degree as it did to keep the prisoner in jail for a couple of years. So they discontinued the program. No one who has been to prison in FL can vote, so there was not much support for educating prisoners, and the program was ended.

The college was paid about 250% of what they paid each instructor for the program, but even with this, it was cheaper than keeping prisoners in jail for a year

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Feel good propaganda, "look how innovative and cutting edge we are" in addressing crime. If a stick up guy or bad guy wants a gun he's going to get one. There is absolutely no concrete evidence indicating that this tactic lowers crime. Most of the guns that are turned in for cash are old guns that law abiding people turn in for coin.
What does work is putting and keeping repeat violent offenders in jail until they cant get it up. Most of the public in the North East U.S does not have the stomach for this however.

If I'm not mistaken, the USA has one of the highest gun crime rates and also one of the highest rates of incarceration per capita. From that it doesn't seem that the combination of high gun ownership and high levels of incarceration is the answer.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
It was tried before and it did not work. In my opinion, it would never work. There are too many criminals owning guns, decent citizens are the ones loosing the most, if they give up their gun. Keep your gun do not give it up. A responsible armed society keep the clowning politicians on check and most of all it really makes all men, and nations equal.

May 12, 2005
10155828_257237377791551_1555162553_n.jpg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone know the minimum barrel length for a shotgun on the DR? Not so likely to take away the shot guns.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Chicago has a de facto handgun ban how does that work out? Criminals dont give up thier guns unless its dirty and there is an amnesty offered. Every time they do that in NY most of the guns turned in are collector items.

Aug 6, 2006
I agree that responsible gun owners do not shoot many people. But keep in mind that they are not immortal, and their guns will almost certainly outlive them, and some of those guns will end up in the hands of irresponsible gun owners.

In the US, no one is disarming law abiding gun owners. Of course, the guns that belonged to the guy that shot over 20 kids in CT belonged to his mother, who was a law abiding gun owner until her son went nuts and shot her, all those kids, and himself. Had someone disarmed her as the law abiding gun owning mother of a son on the edge of going beserk, that would certainly have been a good thing for all concerned.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The import of guns and ammunition has been illegal for many years in the D.R.

The unlicensed import of guns and ammo has been illegal. They still sell guns and ammo at licensed outlets and to my knowledge there arent any gun manufacturers in the dominican republic.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Several ways to skin the cat I think and/or comparing apples to apples

The second map compares INTENTIONAL HOMICIDES per 100,000 people (would love to know how one distinguish between unintentional and intentional, although the result may be the same)

Yet, the U.S. rate of firearm-related homicide is higher than that of any other industrialized country: 19.5 times higher than the rates in other high-income countries

Which should be cause for concern IMO.

Last edited:

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Makes all nations equal? How so? The USA has enuff drones to overrun this island from one side to the other without a US soldier getting nearer than Miami. Arm all the citizens and what good would it do?

Thanks for making my point better. Obviously the one with the better armament win, you can not compare US with DR, when it comes to this matter. What about US Vs. Russia or the European Union.

As a responsible citizen, you should never give up your weapon or give up without a fight. Look how well it did to Kadhafi given up his armament, what an idiot!!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It was tried before and it did not work. In my opinion, it would never work. There are too many criminals owning guns, decent citizens are the ones loosing the most, if they give up their gun. Keep your gun do not give it up. A responsible armed society keep the clowning politicians on check and most of all it really makes all men, and nations equal.

Virginia had restrictive CCW policies and many handguns in the hands of many People who shouldn't have had them. In 1990 the legislation fixed it, requiring registration, proof of competence, background check (NAC) and $50 for a concealed handgun permit and raised the penalty for unauthorized handgun possession, concealed or otherwise from 2 years to 5 years without parole or probation.

It's worked out okay so far. No system will eradicate access for the nutbags with evil and murder in their hearts and the best way to keep them from committing horrific gun crimes like we saw at VA Tech is to regulate the nutbags, not the guns.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We all know how well gun control works:

Bad guys always turn in their guns first.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Chicago has a de facto handgun ban how does that work out? Criminals dont give up thier guns unless its dirty and there is an amnesty offered. Every time they do that in NY most of the guns turned in are collector items.

That ban is OVER!!!! as of Jan 1 2014 citizens of Chicago have a right to carry a concealed weapon. If you want to walk around with a 9mm its fine as long as you have a permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.