Dominican republic to pull half-a-million guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
Several ways to skin the cat I think and/or comparing apples to apples

The second map compares INTENTIONAL HOMICIDES per 100,000 people (would love to know how one distinguish between unintentional and intentional, although the result may be the same)

Yet, the U.S. rate of firearm-related homicide is higher than that of any other industrialized country: 19.5 times higher than the rates in other high-income countries

Which should be cause for concern IMO.

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) defines intentional homicide as "acts in which the perpetrator intended to cause death or serious injury by his or her actions." This excludes deaths: related to conflicts (war); caused by recklessness or negligence; or justifiable, such as in self-defense or by law enforcement in the line of duty.[2] A 2009 report by the Geneva Declaration using UNODC data showed that worldwide firearms were used in an average of 60 percent of all homicides.[17]:67 In the U.S. in 2011, 67 percent of homicide victims were killed by a firearm: 66 percent of single-victim homicides and 79 percent of multiple-victim homicides.[18] (source wikipedia)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The reason Japan has fewer guns is that Japanese culture realizes that more lenient gun laws man that more people will be shot. Spain and most of Europe also have stricter gun laws and there also, many, many fewer people get shot.

If there are ZERO guns, no one gets shot. This explains why Jesus was unable to draw his trusty Roscoe and blast away at Poncho Piloto. The number of shootings increases with the number of guns.

Morons with guns are a threat to everyone. I recall once being with some morons who were both drunk and unable to find the key to the lock on a shed, in which there was a cooler, useful in buying more beer. An Alpha Moron got his trusty 45 and decided to shoot the lock off. The Moron Family clustered around to get a better look. I retreated to across the street. Shots rang out, two people were wounded and the lock stayed firmly in place, despite being shot at point blank range. Contrary to popular belief, a pistol is a poor substitute for a key, except in the movies. In the movies, all locks come right off when shot, and bad guys cannot hit anyone even with a machine gun. The Laws of Physics do not apply in front of a camera.

In addition to morons using guns, there is also the problem of morons leaving their guns out for moronitos to play with. This results in many deceased moronitos, some of whom might have grown up to become intelligent.

But the US is in the thralls of the NMA (National Moron Association) a group which is dedicated to prove that the Darwin Effect is based on reality, rather than mere theory. This would be like a self-cleaning oven and salutatory except that there are many sane people who also are trying to stay alive in the presence of gun-totin' morons, some of whom are really poor shots.

We could perhaps deal with all the guns in the US if we would adopt the regulations used by the Swiss, who have lots of guns and where few get shot despite it. But the NMA opposes such laws, sanity not being one of their stronger points.

I am not advocating confiscating guns in the US. I do not think it will be possible to change the laws, either. However, I observe that the state with the fewest gun deaths is Hawaii, which is like the DR in that it is surrounded by water and people arriving find it difficult to import guns, so there are fewer of them. Hence, fewer Hawaiians get shot.

I like this but it is flawed. Statistically speaking, Hawaii has the lowest per capita gun death total. Statistically speaking the gun death total includes ALL gun deaths which include hunting accidents and suicides and as it turns out, 3/4 of ALL gun death in the USA are suicides.

Suicides Count for Three-Fourths of all State Gun Deaths | I-News Network at Rocky Mountain PBS

This statistic can only be correctly measured by looking at it against the overall murder rate for Hawaii vs. other States and when we do that we find that Hawaii has a higher murder rate than Iowa, Idaho, Utah and all of New England according to the stat for 2012 which is the most recent complete listing to date.

So what does this tell us? That People in most of the lower 48 would rather shoot themselves in the face than not live in Hawaii? It definitely tells me that gun control is not the answer and in light of the fact that Hawaii which restricts guns more heavily has a higher overall murder than Idaho which has a policy of unrestricted open carry then maybe we should look elsewhere for the source of all these murders. It apparently is not the fault of the guns but of the murderers.

Which states allow open carry in US? (Full List)

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

To it's credit, Hawaii has a "Smart Gun Law" rating of B+ for reducing the number of "crime guns" with a minimal impact upon the right of law abiding citizens to own and operate them. "Crime guns" usually arrive across State borders from neighboring States and Hawaii has none. So then why do they have a higher murder rate than land locked Idaho, Vermont and Utah?

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Idaho got rated "F"

Utah got an "F"

Vermont got an "F"

Tells me that the problem of People getting murdered is a whole lot more complicated than keeping guns away from them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just a "Feel Good",..."Press Release",.."Puff Piece" that will NEVER HAPPEN!
The guy wants to justify his free trip to Brazil, end of story!!!
30 years ago in Boston, they had a "No Questions Asked Buy Back" program.
I turned in a piece of $HIT, revolver that I had and got $50.
I still had about 10 other"Guns" in my house.
My secretary turned in a box of "pieces" from a pistol and got her $50!!!!!!

"Gun Control" is Hitting Your Target!!!!!
If Guns Are "OUTLAWED",...Only "OUTLAWS" Will Have Guns"!!!!
"Forget The Dogs",..."Beware Of The Gun Owner"!!!!
A DR "Swat Team" member was just killed for his pistol, maybe it will be turned in now ????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
if extreme gun control and "gun removal" worked, please explain the status of chicago and the high GUN homicide rate.

everyone keeps sharing beefed up homicide statistics that are not even broken down by category. in those figures are MANY no gun homicides, yet the "gun control" "anti gun violence" people just concider Homicide as a gun crime.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hmmm. a lot of interesting and good points from both sides. I'm for gun ownership for home protection, but not for carrying around. Yes, I am allowed to own a gun here, but i do not want one. The way i see it--and this is just a casual bar stool observation--it's mostly crazy, insecure, low self-esteem people who really want to own a gun...which begs the question...why don't i want one? Easy, because i know, in a heated argument at the gas station, where someone--as in 4 or 5 motoconchos jump in front of me in line, i will not hesitate to take my gun out and shoot them and their bikes.

In a heated situation at work, where scam artists come up to tables and try and rip people off on the beach--posing as "Working for a "charity organization that helps Dominican children addicted to drugs" (Who knows the man i am talking about here?) i will shoot him in the nuts the moment i see him rip someone off.

Inside a Dominican government office--where employees are texting their friends and family, and playing on Facebook, i will shoot them in the knees when they make me and everyone else wait hours and hours to get a paper stamped.

Basially, in hundreds of situations, either i will shoot someone, or someone will shoot me. Just four years ago, Alabama Gary got shot right here in Cabarete at the Texaco gas station over a car rage situation. the bullet went clear through him, through his seat, and through the back seat where two girls were sitting, and lodged in the gas tank. Over what? being cut off in line!

Are guns a good idea on an island with 10 million uneducated, stupid people. FU&K No! You'd have to be crazy to want to arm, or allow 10 million Dominicans--many who cannot spell their name correctly or put on a condom correctly--to carry around a concealed handgun.

Are guns a good idea on an island where half the people are illiterate--including my Dominican family members who would not hesitate to shoot a Gringo in a second if a gringo rear-ended their Mercedes.

Are guns a good idea where stupid people--instead of talking through a problem--will not hesitate to take their gun out in a drunken stupor and shot you without thinking through the issues coherently, logically, or rationally?

You have to be completely out of your mind if you think allowing 10 million Dominicans the right to own and carry around a hand gun.

Frank

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yes, I am allowed to own a gun here, but i do not want one. The way i see it--and this is just a casual bar stool observation--it's mostly crazy, insecure, low self-esteem people who really want to own a gun...which begs the question...why don't i want one? Easy, because i know, in a heated argument at the gas station, where someone--as in 4 or 5 motoconchos jump in front of me in line, i will not hesitate to take my gun out and shoot them and their bikes.

In a heated situation at work, where scam artists come up to tables and try and rip people off on the beach--posing as "Working for a "charity organization that helps Dominican children addicted to drugs" (Who knows the man i am talking about here?) i will shoot him in the nuts the moment i see him rip someone off.

Inside a Dominican government office--where employees are texting their friends and family, and playing on Facebook, i will shoot them in the knees when they make me and everyone else wait hours and hours to get a paper stamped.

Basially, in hundreds of situations, either i will shoot someone, or someone will shoot me.

Why don't you just stab them?

I'll tell you why.

It's for the exact same reason that you wouldn't do any of that BS if you were armed with a gun which makes you exactly the kind of person who needs to have a firearm available. When there are no guns around a violent criminal would use whatever's handy. I remember a murder case in New Mexico back in the 70's where a bank robber knocked a Woman unconscious, shoved a #2 pencil in her ear and then kicked it. There are some really Bad People out there that need to be shot dead rather than make you their next victim and you never know when you're going to run into one.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Why don't you just stab them?

I'll tell you why.

It's for the exact same reason that you wouldn't do any of that BS if you were armed with a gun which makes you exactly the kind of person who needs to have a firearm available. When there are no guns around a violent criminal would use whatever's handy. I remember a murder case in New Mexico back in the 70's where a bank robber knocked a Woman unconscious, shoved a #2 pencil in her ear and then kicked it. There are some really Bad People out there that need to be shot dead rather than make you their next victim and you never know when you're going to run into one.

I doubt that Frank12 carries a knife or other instrument capable of causing death easily. If a person has a moment of craziness and the most dangerous weapon he can find is a book, he may bruise someone, but is unlikely to kill them.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
10155828_257237377791551_1555162553_n.jpg

I'm sure your source is from the NRA. A bunch of idiots.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Chicago has a de facto handgun ban how does that work out? Criminals dont give up thier guns unless its dirty and there is an amnesty offered. Every time they do that in NY most of the guns turned in are collector items.

Chicago doesn't have a ban on hand guns. Where did you hear that?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Kill 'Em ALL, Let God Sort 'Em Out"!
I don't think I have "Low Self Esteme", but then that's like sad boring people ALWAYS think they have a "Great Sense Of Humor!
"Insecure, can't say????
But having a firearm in my house here to protect my children seems like a good idea to me!
Besides, when I'm lonely,I can caress the wood, press my cheek against the cool, smooth barrel,and stick my,...............never mind!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cities don't need to have a "Ban" on hand guns.
You always need a permit to have one, and they just don't issue permits.
By the way, the "NEW", "PC" terminology is to NEVER say "Gun Control", you have to use their terminology, "Gun Safety" now!
You know, like you can't say "Illegal Alien" anymore, you have to say "Undocumented Person"!

Aug 6, 2006
Look how well it did to Kadhafi given up his armament, what an idiot!!!!

====================================================
Libya was well rid of Khadaffy. He was a thug and a fool. Do you seriously think he was entitled to stay in power?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ah yes the old topic that always ends up with a closed thread. There's no way to have a reasonable argument with people who see no logic or reason. It is obvious that less guns = less gun shots, but even that simple, logical argument is debatable to some of these gun nuts.

Having said that, let me say that the cat is out of the bag in places like The DR and The US. There's no way people are turning in their guns as someone already said and even putting a ban on imports is not going to make a dent on the number of guns owned...remember we live right next to Haiti which is where most guns imported into The DR come from. For instance if I wanted to get a gun in The DR right now the legal way it would be expensive and it would take some hassle to do so, however I could get one imported illegally from Haiti for very cheap and I would have a weapon in a matter of hours. I know this because I've been offered, by active military members believe it or not.

So at this point it makes no sense to even try to disarm the country. I'm in complete agreement with Frank12 in that what could help a bit is to outlaw the carrying in public. You should still be able to "defend your castle", but there's no need for you to carry an arsenal everywhere you go.

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I Should have also added that, both in America and the DR, where many people are very, very jealous, do you think it's a good idea to allow every 18yrs old boy to carry around a hand gun? Look at how many idiots get into fist fights every single night throughout America, where someone get insanely jealous over asking your girl to dance, or just talking to you girl because you've gone to the bathroom and someone was not "observant enough" to notice that she was already with someone.

I've worked in bars my whole life...i wish i had only $1 dollar for every fist fight i have broken up over...what? Looking at someone's girl...a girl, i might add, that someone has just met themselves! Or breaking up fist fights because two drunk guys have simply bumped into each other, and neither wants to apologize because they see it as an affront to their manhood!!!

Do you know how bar fights i've broken up over just spilled drinks?

If people had any idea how many fights break out daily of pride, over respect, over jealousy, over ridiculous things that in otherwise, rational, sober people...we wouldn't even have begun this thread. Across America, on any given night, at any of the thousands and thousands of bars, nightclubs and restaurants that pepper the American landscape...we have literally hundreds and hundreds of fights in a nation of 310 million people. Hell, just road rage in America is out of control. Imagine if they move down here and own a gun?

In America...people will not hesitate to shoot you over the most mundane, ridiculous offense...it happens every single day, in every city throughout America. Often times, people do not even realize an offense has taken place.

The insanity in America with the desire to carry around a hand gun tells everything you need to know about our culture. Added, that thousands of people in other cultures--I.E--Dominican-- are carrying around a handgun while simultaneously drinking alcohol just adds to the insanity of the gun culture and the feeling that "Don't fu&k with me!"

Can you imagine if every 18yrs old to 30yrs old Dominican man here could afford a hand gun? Wouldn't that be great!

Frank

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Is this in effect as we speak? Or just another Dominican fantasy? Where does one go to turn in a weapon? I see no real information in this article. Great idea though. Some Shiite head desperate for a few bucks will turn in a weapon.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Let me just emphasize that i am not against owning a shotgun to defend your home. i want the right to own a shotgun if someone keeps targeting my house. I want the right to defend my family. I am not anti-gun per se. But i am anti allowing every single 18yrs old to 50yrs old carrying around a handgun with them at all times, including in their car. I don't see anything good coming from this...especially when you consider how many people are walking around with a chip on their shoulder, daring someone to knock it off!

Added to this, look at how many people walking around daily who are mentally unstable, and yet are sane enough to fly underneath the radar. Look at how many people are walking around with hate and anger inside them, where it remains just below the surface, but only needs a short fuse to ignite it. Look at how many young men are walking around full of testosterone, with a very short temper...daring someone to challenge them.

Now throw into this volatile flammable mixture people who have too much pride, too much prejudice, too much jealousy, too much hate, too much anger, and too long of a dry spell without getting laid!! Not getting laid enough, in my opinion, is the single most dangerous reason why young men do all kinds of crazy things; it's the single biggest reason for random violence and Darwin Awards among young men. I read it in the back of Penthouse magazine. True story.

No thank you. Every redneck i know and grew up with loved guns and fighting, but couldn't balance a checkbook or put on a condom correctly if you held a gun to their head. I'm sorry, most of my friends are high school drop-outs who love nothing more then driving around in jacked-up Camaros and Firebirds, eating Soapers (714's--AKA: Quaaludes) and getting into fist-fights out in bar parking lots over just looking at them wrong or looking at their girlfriend's wrong. There's just way too many people out their with a chip on their shoulder. And now you want to arm all those people who can easily fly underneath the radar of "mental instability", but are honestly just a volatile combustion of hormones, immaturity, inexperience and adolescents.

No thank you. I don't know what kind of "Little House on the Prairie" environment some of you people here grew up on, but in Dayton, Ohio, there are tens of thousands of rednecks and hillbillies who would not hesitate to shot you over not getting laid tonight.

True story!

Frank

Aug 6, 2006
Too many people think of a pistol as a remote to turn off people that annoy them. Especially when drunk.
The main reason Americans get killed more with guns than, say Spaniards or Japanese or Swiss, is that there are more guns available to kill them with. Sure, there are also cultural factors as well: Americans have rarely had a period in which their country has not been involved in attacking or invading some other country. Guns are more popular with men who have fought in wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.