Dominicans seized after illegal entry..headline in todays paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Come on everyone give Janice a break.
Janice: Don't get too mad. This is just the nature of this board. You have to be able to take it if you want to dish it out. It is not personal. In the end everybody gets along. We're like a very disfunctional family,that argue all the time, but in the end we're all family. Take Crisco, for instance I don't know what to do with the guy. In one post (about dominicans leaving this piece of dirt to go play in the US) he makes me mad as hell, and I want to tear his head off, and then in another (The one about the cow tongue) he makes me laugh my ass off. The reason why you're being attacked more than Mommc is that she's got seniority over you here. So what are you to do? Just enjor the ride...Sling mud at everyone and then get a big umbrella to cover yourself, when the shizznit starts coming back at you...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: azb

ms.mathilda said:
how much do these illegal immigrants usually pay smugglers do you think? i would think it would be in the thousands.
and no, i don't think that this doesn't happen all the time. I'm sure it does.
Ken- your reply made me laugh about all the gold! how long do you think the average illegal dominican lives here and then goes back? do you think the majority do eventually leave or try to make it here? just curious about this topic...
thanks
Mattie

If they can stay long enough to collect social security they are wealthy back home. I think that is the GOLDEN PARACHUTE for them.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: True

Fred said:
However, building wealth takes planning, patience, and a bit of luck.

Instant gratification never made anyone sucessful. How come they cannot do the same in the DR, if they have so much drive and ambition? How come they have to leave to go to the US or elsewhere?

Good point. Only exception I take to this is that there is more Opportunity in NYC than DR. Better chance of striking it rich or even a small bankroll is big in the DR. I have met Dominicans in NY that think making 35-50 thousand to bring back makes them wealthy in the DR. This is attainable in even the smallest of business's in NY and YES if you are lucky you can return with the 50k in one year.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Sorry Ken-You want to slap me AZB????

In reviewing your post, your clarification is correct and I did improperly criticize what was an attempt on your part to clarify an issue.

I trust you understand my sometimes hasty judgment of "people" on this forum, as you can see, the sheep are at it again (and all night it appears) Now AZB threatens violence? Is that in any way appropriate?

Janice

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes Ken ....you make a valid point.

However I did think that since I'm Canadian and the comment was about the Canadian Border and my reply was about exactly how easy it is to come on vacation and cross over I thought the sarcasm was directed if not at me then at "my country's" border.
I also "chip" back when someone "implies" that they're "better" than me because a)they have more education (and I'm sorry but a university degree is just a piece of paper on the wall)
b) they "earn" a larger piece of the pie and that makes 'em superior (like how naive do they think we are? Billing hours and actually take home are two different things). And yes I make what they do if not more thanks to the business that I helped start and own. Too bad I don't get to keep it all!!
c) they somehow think they're being "persecuted" by the regulars when they don't even know who the regulars are!
Now Criss,AZB,Golo, HB, Wud,Pib and Anna I consider "regulars". They've been on the board for a long time.
I on the other hand am a "newbie" registering only a few months back.
I retired for medical reasons and believe me I don't miss the 70 hr weeks at all. I also spent 30 yrs preparing for retirement so I wouldn't have to worry about financial stability. I also had a handicapped child and even with our so-called universal health care spent over 2 m$ during his lifetime for treatment that wasn't "covered" by our healthcare (and anyone who wants to see the records is welcome to come look!) .
The headline that started this thread is a headline that one does not often see. It is rare to hear of people being "caught" attempting to cross illegally from Canada to the US. It is far more common to hear of people being caught trying to enter from Cuba,Haiti,the DR,China etc. via the vast coastline of the US.
To say that the Canadian border is the only "easy" access to the US is ludicrous and points out just how "Unsecure" the US really is, keeping in mind that up until rought 75-80 yrs ago there was no control between Canada and the US. Care to guess how many family lines I've found in my genealogical research that started out in the US then "disappeared" for a while only to resurface in Canada? Or vice versa?
It has been mentioned how easy it has been for Dominicans to enter the US using someone else's passport or a "falsified" passport. I personally know several Dominicans who have entry visa's for the US thanks to thier marrying an American (all now divorced of course) or an Italian or German etc.
I noticed the news story didn't mention who the smugglers were either. Want to bet they were Americans just out to make an "easy" buck?
I don't "blame Dominicans for trying to leave the DR to journey to another country where they think they have a better chance to make a decent living and provide for their families back home. I think any of us would do they same. I do think it would be better if they made more effort to change things at home to make it a better place for them to live and make a decent living.
What are your thoughts on this?

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
suarzen

While I truly appreciate the support, you must first respect someone to be offended by them, so I am hardly offended by most anyone on this board :), but I again thank you

Janice, well covered and capable of sustaining attacks from any "psuedo humans"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I love Janice!!!!

The other day I posted(Even before this thread)that I liked her(Janice,s) content & her style.Now I like it even more! She has "PeePee,d-Off"(can,t say "pissed" off here,"See?",don,t know why,"Asshole" is OK though!) more people in one post than I can in a whole day!and all she did was hold up a "Mirror" so everyone can see how ridiculous we all are.Good job "Janice"! To "talk" to "MommC" one must be "Canadianly Correct"! It,s OK though,she is a proud Canadian Grandma who loves her husband,her kids,and her grandkids!(Do the words Opinionated,short sighted,bigoted,or "half-cocked ring any bells?(Note to "AZB","Half-cocked" is not a sexually handicaped male!)Let me be the first,and possibly the last,person to invite Janice to my "Huge,lovely,very expensive,compound in Las Colinas de Arroyo Hondo!Janice,"Come on Down!"....The DR1 lets everyone be like the old cartoon character,"Tom Terrific"(My "real name is Tom,by the by!),who,s theme song described his high opinion of himself...."I,m Tom Terrific,greatest hero ever!I can be what I want to be,and if you,d like to see come on and follow me!I can be a plane on high,or a great big train roaring by,a bumble bee, or a tree,IT,S me,TOM TERRIFIC!!! DR1 version,I can be what I want to be ,a "Day Trader in MIAMI,the richest man in PIANTINI,an Afghan "GEEK",or a "Sheik",it,s me a DR1 "Freak"!Crisco...Note,looks like you can say "Pissed",lets see if the verb is OK,"****",****,...****guess not!..Now I got it ,you can say "Pissed",but you can,t "****",I feel like George Carlin here!Lets see if you can take a shit?....I have found out the "Rosetta Stone" of DR1,We can all shit,but we can,t ****!!!! We are all in "Renal Failure"! Robert,"Help"! Please let us all take a ****!

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Hahaha, I wish my life was as simple as the life of a handyman in an apartment complex. That would be a good enough retirement come to think of it. Well as long as they gave me an apartment for free. Just think, get a call, go fix a faucet (which believe it or not I can probably do) or a lock needs replacement. I could leisurely do all these things and NOT worry about paying the bills etc.. I would settle for this!

It was less stressful to aquire millions of dollars of real estate than it is to get rid of it in an UP market. How's that for unbelievable?

Well both Mommc and Janice have gotten under my skin. All I had to to for Mommc to leave me alone was to tell her that she didn't look too bad for an old bag and she has become my friend:)

Don't exactly know how to handle Janice... I think she must either eat nails for breakfast or those nasty birds that fly around the garbage dumps! LOL

I do enjoy your posts Janice so don't take this the wrong way but we all have to find some sort of way to get along with the others here.

Regards

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Criss

You may be the most honest person here, willing to poke fun at yourself but "leaking" knowledge at the same time

I may take you up on that offer if I get down that way again

Janice

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Mommy

Maybe Criss has outlined the proper way to converse with you, at least in a way that lowers the body count.

In your last post, you say that the US Canadian border is not the easiest to cross, yet talk about all the cross generations? If there is an easier way into the US than from Canada (you have the options of Mexico or the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans), please let me know

I have one other question that baffles me. You retired at or before 40, yet spent 30 years planning for returement?

Janice, just asking questions

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yeah AZB...

We should stick with our 19 year old chicks the don't talk back that much.
Good morning everybody. X

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
i have a solution to this bickering

why don't we got back on topic to my original post. I posted this because i found it interesting, it happened in my town and i wanted to hear other people's opinions. Little naive me just wanting to obtain more information about illegal Dominican immigrants, how they survive in US, where they go etc.
i do appreciate everyones replies. i have more knowledge about this than before.
thanks momma c for acknowledging my original post in your last post.
oh if i only knew what this one little thread was gonna lead to......lol
and yeaaaaa to me for my most successful post as it is the only one of mine that has received the most replies......
Mattie

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Planning for retirement continues even AFTER

one has retired. If not ones resources are soon depleted and then where are they??
However I held my first real paying job at age 10 and made sure that I didn't spend it all.........slow but sure is the only real way to become wealthy. You might all try reading "the Millionaire Next Door". Very interesting!
Dominicans also plan for retirement although the average Joe goes about it differently than we do. Families (especially single parent families) have many children as an insurance policy against starvation in old age. Some marry "foreigners" (especially those much older than themselves) to provide for the "future". And some make their way -either legally or illegally into another country (be it Puerto Rico or the US or Canada or European) to find employment (either legal or illegal as in drug dealing) to hopefully make enough money to retire in style back in the DR where needs are few and wants are many.
Many use their new found reserves to start small businesses at home that will sustain them for years to come.
Hope this gives you a little more insight ms.mathilda (by the way I love the name Mathilda - had an ancestor with it!!)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Janice, I understand.....

Reading completely out-of-line posts, like AZB's personal attack, makes my blood boil, too. I'm very surprised that Robert allows posts like that of AZB's to remain in the thread. When a poster gets that personal, it is well beyond the pale, in my opinion. I'm going to forward that particular post to Robert, with my objection, in case he missed it.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I don't like threats of violence, either, and don't think it should be tolerated.

That being said, it's not like Janice herself doesn't get personal. She has only attacked nearly every single person on this board. She hates Canada (I have an idea...stay out of our country! I have a feeling not too many of us like her, either) and there doesn't seem to be much in life she really does like, other than cutting people down and bragging about herself. I have bit my tongue against her so many times, but hey, I can't take it anymore. When she insults Pib, Anna, MusicQueen, MommC, Ken, Bob, and Jane J (I know I've missed alot of people she has insulted), perhaps the problem is Janice herself? TRY to get laid (can I say that?) once in a while, Janice...it may cut down on the frustration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.