DR ARRIVAL STAMP TOOK FOREVER @ STI

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I didn't know the DR has a Global Entry like US Global Entry. Or are we calling the dedicated lines for citizens here Global Entry?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
?? You must make a face-to-face appointment with an immigration and customs enforcement agent. He goes over your documents and fingerprints and photographs you. They do a background check; you must pay, and they mail you the I.D card. It's good for several years. When you renew it the process does not require a face-to-face visit. When you land in the States the kiosk will take your picture and you are in country. It is worth every bit of the hassle to get it.
Are they still charging the $100 fee?

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
"The First World consisted of the U.S., Western Europe and their allies. The Second World was the so-called Communist Bloc: the Soviet Union, China, Cuba and friends. The remaining nations, which aligned with neither group, were assigned to the Third World."

Just because it has a few fast food restaurants malls, too many cars and few resorts means nothing. In almost all world rankings DR is 3rd world. If Mexico and Colombia which are years ahead of DR are considered 3rd world.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Rey,

Aren’t you in Piantini?

Have your mom fly into Santo Domingo next time. Much closer than Santiago.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"The First World consisted of the U.S., Western Europe and their allies. The Second World was the so-called Communist Bloc: the Soviet Union, China, Cuba and friends. The remaining nations, which aligned with neither group, were assigned to the Third World."

Just because it has a few fast food restaurants malls, too many cars and few resorts means nothing. In almost all world rankings DR is 3rd world. If Mexico and Colombia which are years ahead of DR are considered 3rd world.
You are incorrect, as is your definition. The DR is considered a developing nation. Anyone living here knows that it is first world in some respects, second in others, and third in others, thus, developing nation status. The DR, for example is more developed than Cuba in most aspects.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
You are incorrect, as is your definition. The DR is considered a developing nation. Anyone living here knows that it is first world in some respects, second in others, and third in others, thus, developing nation status. The DR, for example is more developed than Cuba in most aspects.
You are incorrect and it is not my definition it is direct from npr.org, history channel and USA govt websites. https://2009-2017.state.gov/ "The Dominican Republic is a middle-income developing country primarily dependent on agriculture, trade, and services, especially tourism." Developing Country is political correct word for 3rd world - "According to the UN, a developing country is a country with a relatively low standard of living, undeveloped industrial base, and moderate to low Human Development Index (HDI). This index is a comparative measure of poverty, literacy, education, life expectancy, and other factors for countries worldwide.

Im sure most countries feel developed to Cuba. That is not saying much. Like I said the fast food apps, malls, ubers and over financed cars on the road do not mean its not 3rd world. In the important things it is 200% 3rd world infrastructure, electric even in the best areas in the capital the power goes out often, the water system fails often thats why most of the people have the tanks on the roof even in towers. All the big businesses and middle to upper class apartments need to have their own backup power planta or you need inversor in casa because the power grid is not reliable. Have you ever seen a Dom mail truck... didnt think so. Most of the country including the city does not even have addresses. 2nd worst driving in the world only ahead of somalia, one of lowest education and literacy in the world and much more.

"With a lead of 28.7 points, the Dominican Republic (DR) is the most dangerous country for driving, being named by WHO the worst for traffic accidents per inhabitant in the world. According to the entity, the leading cause of death in people aged 15 to 29 in the DR is fatal car collisions, surpassing figures for at least three underdeveloped African countries.

In the DR, the annual deaths related to traffic average 3,000, a higher rate than those of Zimbabwe, Liberia and Eritrea, and even Venezuela, a fellow Latin American partner.'

Think whatever makes you feel better. My opinion does not matter. But the rest of the world views, considers and ranks DR as 3rd world.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Isn't it Six? I just renewed mine a few minutes ago and didn't even look. lol
Now you had me second guessing.... I had to go double check myself lol. I just checked the website "Global Entry costs $100 for a five year membership. " Note - if you use certain credit cards amex platinum, cap one venture i think the cc company will refund you the $100 on your statement if you pay for the membership with their credit card. I know amex for sure, the other not sure of but their is a list of them that do refund the fee.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Having actually been in a few third world countries, several for a few months, the DR is not even close to being third world.

Are they still charging the $100 fee?
that sounds about right. The new kiosks when entering U.S do not even require you to insert your passport. They do not even print out a receipt now. You just walk by the agent and says "welcome home"

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
that sounds about right. The new kiosks when entering U.S do not even require you to insert your passport. They do not even print out a receipt now. You just walk by the agent and says "welcome home"

Whoa. That's new. I guess they're getting their data from electronically from boarding and assumed deboarding.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Suddenly had a flashback of expats that say the DR is corrupt. Oh sure, the expats bribe too, but don't you dare call them corrupt. Yet, there are Dominicans that aren't corrupt and never bribe anyone for anything. ;)

If the DR is a third world country, doesn't that makes everyone that lives in it third world people too or is this like the "the DR is couupt, but I'm not" while bribing left, right, and center? lol

No need to bribe anyone to get autogate since it's free (except in Punta Cana) and a rather quick registration.

Last edited:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Controversy in Using the “Third World” Designation​

There’s been a lot of controversy regarding the use of the term “third world” to describe certain countries, as it may indicate a lower level of geopolitical significance compared to countries in the or “First World” or “Second World.” For example, a country that is part of the “First World” is not necessarily better in every way than a country in the “Third World.” Instead, the terms “developing countries” or “least developed countries” are increasingly used in place of the term “Third World.”

I don't like the term "3rd World".
But then I am not as old as some of ya'll nor moored to past perceptions.
I prefer the term "developing nation"

There are opportunities to be found in a "developing nation".
And if that was not true...none of Ya'll would be living here now would you?

terantius

Jul 28, 2022
Plants