DR Cost of Living - worldwide comparison

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@ cjp2010

good for you.... nobody will listen but 'good' just the same.

expectations and temptations are too high here for some to resist...

Expectations, cheaper this &that but still wanting 3rd world things
Temptations, cheap labor, house staff and no prior skills/knowledge of how to manage

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BOB", you are getting like "XO", all "Google", All The Time!
If you check my posts , you will find nothing about "renting", or "Buying" a house or condo.
"Why Is THAT", you SHOULD ASK"!!!!!!!!
BECAUSE, the value of real property is dependent on those "3 Things" that I doubt I need to state, because we ALL know what it/they ARE!!!!
My cost comparisons are about what we choose to eat, watch, wash with, drive, energy, you know, the costs that are the same no matter where in a country one resides.
I compare "Cheese" in Boston, to "Cheese" here in SD!
The "Cheese" in Boston is cheaper, better quality,MUCH greater in varieties, and actually tastes good!
Just like the MEAT, bread, eggs, and lets not talk "Helado", which "Bon" is EXCELLENT, but VERY VERY expensive!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Overall, my life here is definitely cheaper than in the UK, as long as I don't try to buy luxury goods like cars and furniture too often. Alcohol is way cheaper if you stick to beer and rum - wine is about the same. I'm not a smoker but UK friends say cigs here are a fraction of the price. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a wine, women and song man and I'm told (!) that it's much cheaper to have a "girlfriend" here!

As for the poster who spends 5000 pesos per month on phone charges, how do you do that? Must be a lot of international calls I suppose. Try using Skype!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well let's agree to disagree then...For the record I FULLY support two households (one here in The US and one in The DR). The US one is populated by Americans who eat like Americans and do all the same things Americans do. The Dominican one is populated by Dominicans who live the typical Dominican lifestyle. Both of them are eating good, and not lacking any basic stuff. Both have about the same level of comfort. My bill here in The US is easily double that of The DR. When I visit The DR with my Americanized family my DR food bill triples (that's not counting eating out)...Why because instead of Platanos they want to eat "confle", instead of water or making a homemade juice they want to drink Tropicana OJ, etc, etc, etc...so I'm talking from personal experience.

...and Crisco I live in a little podunk town in the midwest, but visit The DR quite often. I have a much better house in The DR that I own, but if I was renting it would cost me about 1/2 what my house costs me here in The US (remember that's even with being in a small town USA). Only things that are cheaper here are gas, electricity and clothing...but that kind of washes out when you add in gas bill (ranged 3-400 US a month the whole winter) for heating and cooking, expensive insurance and let's not even talk about eating out. A simple meal for two at a low end chain restaurant like Applebee's will easily be 50-60 USD...I think you may be suffering from the "back home things are better, cheaper, etc" syndrome. I'm living it every day on both sides of the pond.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"BOB", you are getting like "XO", all "Google", All The Time!
If you check my posts , you will find nothing about "renting", or "Buying" a house or condo.
"Why Is THAT", you SHOULD ASK"!!!!!!!!
BECAUSE, the value of real property is dependent on those "3 Things" that I doubt I need to state, because we ALL know what it/they ARE!!!!
My cost comparisons are about what we choose to eat, watch, wash with, drive, energy, you know, the costs that are the same no matter where in a country one resides.
I compare "Cheese" in Boston, to "Cheese" here in SD!
The "Cheese" in Boston is cheaper, better quality,MUCH greater in varieties, and actually tastes good!
Just like the MEAT, bread, eggs, and lets not talk "Helado", which "Bon" is EXCELLENT, but VERY VERY expensive!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Those are all part of the cost of living, unless you live in a vacuum.
READING problems CC, the article is also about the high price of energy in Mass, - electricity, heat.....etc. Eggs are expensive in the DR? Good tasting locally made cheese and yogurt here in the mountains.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He can't hear you , Bob....

our yogurt in Abreu comes to us thanks to a Greek lady (imported) and and an entrepreneurial transplanted American.

EXCELLENT... try it at Flor Cafe, just east of Playa Grande as you enter Abreu

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Criss,

When you compare cost of living in Boston to Santo Domingo, do you take into consideration what you pay in taxes on your home or what you pay to send your son to college in the DR vs the US?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
OK, back on topic.

Like a lot of people here, i can live just about any place in the world that I want...as long as it doesn't require a sanity test. Barring that, allow me to break down the differences.

1. Here, in the DR, i live like a king on US $2000 a month. True story. I don't drink, party, or pay for sex...unless it's the weekend and the redhead wants fed before foreplay. In that case, i feed her chocolate and peanuts. They're cheap and it arouses her like mad...she'll start to dry hump stationary objects. Did i mention that she's Russian?

2. I hate alcohol. Never like it. I'm high enough as it is on life and caffeine. I don't go out to bars or nightclubs. Instead, i like to sniff gasoline while i drive my motorcycles around the island. Hence, my biggest expense is, yep...you guessed it: Gasoline.

3. You do not come to the Dominican Republic to make money. You come here to spend it.

It's late...got to go to bed. I'll finish this list tomorrow.

Frank

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A "Rent A Chica" here is the DR is DEFINATELY much cheaper, a "Girlfrend" isn't!

Those without much money to spend here, DO find it "cheaper" to live here!
Otherwise, NOT!!!!!!!

If you drive a "Vespa" you say that, "It's cheap to live in Italy".
If you drive a "Ferrari", you say that,"It's Expensive to live in Italy"!
I much prefer to complain that, "It's expensive to live in the DR", and have the money to pay for it, than to say,"It's "CHEAP" to live in the DR", and have only the money to pay for it!!!

My real estate taxes WERE a lot higher in Boston than they are here, BUT, the government in Boston actually provided services to the community FOR those taxes!
AND, I didn't pay 18% tax on almost everything I bought in the supermarket, or anywhere else!
My son in Boston got his university education paid for on an achedemic scholorship (He CAN Spell)
If you have no funds in the USA, you can still get a univ. education, and a great one!
Here, NEITHER is possible!
Wondering "WHY"?????
Read today's "Diario Libre".
FRONT PAGE HEADLINE,. The "Diputados" (Government Legislators)used 177 million pesos of the "People's Money" to by "Mother's Day Gifts" for THEIR"Mami's"!!!!!!

Priorities????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Cum'on" Frank, you're a "BIG BOY",...EVERYONE "Pays For Sex"!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially if another person is involved!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
better still, look at the article down at the bottom part of the page that says the government spent 60 billion pesos on subsidizing power. think what real price of the power would be if everyone truly paid for what they use...

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You can buy a nice home in Santo Domingo for 250,000USD, but try and spend 250,000USD for a home in Chicago or Washington DC and see what 250,000 gets you.

Day to day life in Santo Domingo is much cheaper then any major American city. When Dominicans need to go out of town they can drive jump on Caribe Tours or Metro, but Americans have to fly United, Delta, American etc. to travel from city to city and it is NOT cheap.

For all the young people who enjoy nightlife the scene in Santo Domingo is very cheap to party, but in a city like Chicago you can spend 20USD to 30USD for the cover charge at some venues and the drinks can cost you around 150USD to 200USD if you are buying drinks for you and your friends.

I can't tell you the countless times I visited the National Aquarium in Santo Domingo and it is very cheap for admission but the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago can around 175.00USD to enter for a family of five and this does not include food and a toy at the gift shop. You can spend around 300USD for a day trip at the Aquarium in Chicago.

One of my cousin went on her senior prom 2 weeks ago total COST around 2000USD for everything!!!! for ONE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not want to even mention the cost of her dress.

BTW What does the typical family in Santo Domingo spend on vacations during the summer??? People in DR can get away with not taking a family vacation, but Americans DO NOT have this option we MUST plan a vacation every year and all of them are pricey because it is the peak traveling season for Americans.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"JMB" thank's for your insight into the "Cost-of-Living" here in the DR.
Guess you haven't VISITED here in a while.
If I need to know about the "Cost-of-Living" in the "Chicago Projects" you'll be the first person I "PM"!
I haven't "Visited" Chicago in a Looooooooooong time either!
That's why I don't claim to know what it costs to live THERE !!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps.,....thanks for posting about your,.."I can ONLY Dream About" FANTASY lifestyle!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
better still, look at the article down at the bottom part of the page that says the government spent 60 billion pesos on subsidizing power. think what real price of the power would be if everyone truly paid for what they use...
Actually the price might be cheaper if everybody paid for what they use.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Back in Canada now staying with my son for a couple months. Not warm enough for me yet, freezing my "A@@" off. Anyway back on topic. A retired friend here pays $1,100.00 Canadian a month for his 2 bedroom apartment. In Puerto Plata I can rent a 3 bedroom home in Torre Alta for $500.00 Canadian a month. He pays for basic cable, cell phone and internet $233.00 a month and I pay less than 1/2 that per month in Puerto Plata. Sure imported food stuffs cost more in Puerto Plata but the chicken, beef and pork cost a little more here in Hamilton. Over all I can eat for less back in Puerto Plata. And drinks, WOW! I went to a bar in Burlington last week and a rum and coke cost $6.50 on the Malecon or a bar in Sosua it costs $1.50 Canadian. To buy a litre of Brugal here in Burlington it cost me $35.00 where in Playero it costs 650 pesos or $17.00 Canadian.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Compared to Italy

Yesterday I talked to an Italian who has been living here for 12 years.
He said living costs are triple in Italy and the European bureaucracy spoils the daily life ("everything is forbidden").

Later I studied some Italian supermarket prices online and found that foodstuff is actually less than here. :bunny:

Can some people in the know shed more information on this?

donP

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Yesterday I talked to an Italian who has been living here for 12 years.
He said living costs are triple in Italy and the European bureaucracy spoils the daily life ("everything is forbidden").

Later I studied some Italian supermarket prices online and found that foodstuff is actually less than here. :bunny:

Can some people in the know shed more information on this?

donP

Can you be more specific about the Italian's location in the Dr and in Italy? Also supermarket location? It can make a big difference.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
EU Prices

Can you be more specific about the Italian's location in the Dr and in Italy?
He (and I) live Las Terrenas.

Also supermarket location? It can make a big difference.

I checked the prices of some large supermarket chains (Ultimoprezzo.com - Centri commerciali e negozi aperti in tutta Italia). Some of them are found all over Italy, others only in certain regions.

At least the overview gave me an idea of the average prices and special offers.

Another website ranked the living cost in Italy about 5% higher than in Germany. I guess, in all EU countries the prices will not differ much any more...

The German discount chain Lidl is also present in Italy:
http://www.lidl.it/cps/rde/www_lidl_it

donP