DR Customs Requrement to register in order to receive packages from couriers

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I've bought many cell phones through Amazon shipped through EPS-Always need to keep the total well under $200 each time.

Im sure if you bring more than 4 cellphones per year as you can buy for your direct families they will go after you, specially if you buy every month cellphones, or a lot of the same products, no matter is under the $200.00

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If there was a big business re-selling appliances from Miami here on the north coast, I wonder why the "best" they seem to sell is GE and Frigidaire bottom level crap instead of some better brands at similar prices that are available in Miami. Granted it is better than most Chinese junk, but it is still garbage. Oh well, I will just import for personal use for appliances as I have been doing.

I am fully "registered". Apparently, I did so back when the first notification came out some time ago.

do the math Windy

Good stove/fridge from a big US retail store + shipping = easy sell
How could one container have more than 20 appliances in it ??
If not for resell !!??

Full containers of appliances is no coincidence

Say a good stove -- BestBuy for $5-600 + $2-300 to ship

What do they sell for ?

Good fridges here are spendy..... same game.... under $1,000 in USA + shipping
easy resell at $1500 or less

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Can someone clarify. Shipments valued 200 USD and above has always been held back until import tax has been paid, at least with DHL, UPS, FedEx. I always ship less than 200 USD and include invoices. I don't ship for retail. Will these new "rules" hold back any shipment any value if I'm not registered? I didn't read all the post so may have missed it if it has been mentioned.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Can someone clarify. Shipments valued 200 USD and above has always been held back until import tax has been paid, at least with DHL, UPS, FedEx. I always ship less than 200 USD and include invoices. I don't ship for retail. Will these new "rules" hold back any shipment any value if I'm not registered? I didn't read all the post so may have missed it if it has been mentioned.

They just want you to register so they can monitor how much your shipping in. I honestly don't see it as a problem, then again I'm not trying to skirt the system either.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Big Brother has arrived in RD

What are you shipping in ??
give me your fingers on arrival

All good for those who comply = law abiding people

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
tht,

Aduanas is threatening to hold packages destined to a client of a courier company if that person has not registered by July 2019. Who knows if Aduanas has the specific legal authority to do this. I'm going to register in a few of months. I'm not ordering as much as in the past.

I'll wait but not until the deadline as I have learned that everyone else will do that and then the website will crash because of the demand.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
OK. I have seen somebody mentioning there will be / could be an upper limit of 2000 USD for online purchases per year.

Any idea if that would be per account holder, or per person in a given household associated to that account?

I mean i would have no problem to register but I want to know upfront what to expect and not have some made up surprises from these geniuses later.

2000 USD is a joke, we buy 10 - 15 K per year online, basically everything besides groceries and appliances or TV's. Nothing for resale, just normal things, like clothes, accessories, supplements, computer parts and accessories, womens stuff like make up, household things like bedding, no luxury things.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I remember it being announced. I don't know if the number of shipments or total yearly amount was ever implemented. Such a program would have been a nightmare to administer. Maybe with registration it could at least be possible now.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They will make a file with a list of everything you buy, if in a year you buy more celullars than a normal person will do, get ready for all the taxes they will make you pay.

there is a limit of 6 cellphones per year. the guys like Encargopaq simply assign the 7th and up to a different name. easy peasy.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
My 16 y/o only wasted 3 cellphones last year, the ten y/o just one and the little one is still far away from using cellphones (I hope) so i am still good I guess :D

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Big brother will be watching you after July 28!

They can see everything you buy now and will tax you in whatever way they like.
You can't stop "progress" :mad:

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I'm about to quit ordered stuff.
I'll make two trips to Florida per year. With what I save in shipping I'll partially ay for the flights

Same here . And if the shipping company wants our continued business let them figure out a workaround ...but there’s no way we’ll be giving information without knowing for sure what they would do with it now or in the future. I’m told “registered” data on anything or anyone is very easy to obtain .....but that’s another topic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Feb 7, 2007
Aduanas has been trying to do away with the $200 exemption for a while now. Not having been successful doing that, last year or so they put a limit of 20 shipments per year tax free on $200 or less. Of course that announcement predated any way of tracking how many shipments people received other than by pen & paper.

Now they want you to register so they can actually keep a tally of how many shipments you receive. Yes, of course it's a means to thwart the people buying deep fryers to sell on the side as well as to exercise more control over how much tax free stuff people have access to.

Cell phones are already taxed at a higher rate, that was announced recently and I believed regardless of purchase price.

I too am going to wait a bit before registering. I've set a reminder for around May 1 just to give it some time for the system to break.

OK, so 20*3 is 60 shipments per year... why *3? You register one account under cedula, one under passport, one under spouse. That should suffice. If you need more shipments, you open accounts under brother/sister/father/mother name who give you a release allowing you to pick up shipments under their name. This reminds me the Pirated Satellite TV. Every measure the satellite provider put in place, the pirates soon found countermeasures.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK, so 20*3 is 60 shipments per year... why *3? You register one account under cedula, one under passport, one under spouse. That should suffice. If you need more shipments, you open accounts under brother/sister/father/mother name who give you a release allowing you to pick up shipments under their name. This reminds me the Pirated Satellite TV. Every measure the satellite provider put in place, the pirates soon found countermeasures.

Yes: The game is afoot. The cat and mouse game, in this case.

(I already considered the options you mentioned, should they become necessary. IPTV is so much better than the satellite game, as exciting as it was. )

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Regarding 60*3

Good idea and needed taking into account that amazon splits almost every order into more than one shipment even with the option chosen to sent as few as possible packages. Guess I will need 60*8 or something :(

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The need for multiple accounts assumes that the rules (whatever those actually are) will be enforced and that the different accounts have differing names, perhaps different courier companies.

I'm not going to panic just yet.