DR Customs Requrement to register in order to receive packages from couriers

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The need for multiple accounts assumes that the rules (whatever those actually are) will be enforced and that the different accounts have differing names, perhaps different courier companies.

I'm not going to panic just yet.

Don't panic the answer is 42.

But seriously, if there is any group that keeps trying to get more money, it is customs. Constantly trying to get rid of the $200 duty free shipments is proof and now they have a way to monitor more activity. I doubt they will let it go to waste. It is always about the money.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Regarding 60*3

Good idea and needed taking into account that amazon splits almost every order into more than one shipment even with the option chosen to sent as few as possible packages. Guess I will need 60*8 or something :(
It’s 20*3 not 60*3 (or 8).....:p

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I'm not going to panic just yet.

No doubt the shipping companies will have their workarounds in place and ready to go before the deadline.

Every so often you get these new “rules” ,”regulations”,or “laws” ...basically designed to make the expat gringo comply ,panic or , at least , pontificate on DR1 for a while...

Let’s see how this one plays out come July.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No doubt the shipping companies will have their workarounds in place and ready to go before the deadline.

Every so often you get these new “rules” ,”regulations”,or “laws” ...basically designed to make the expat gringo comply ,panic or , at least , pontificate on DR1 for a while...

Let’s see how this one plays out come July.

The current work around would be in setting up different accounts for different family members.

I am not sure that one person setting up two accounts, one with a passport and a second with a cedula, would work since they can tie the passport to the cedula in the Migracion data base, but it might be a way for one person to have two accounts.

Otherwise, a "work around" is you pay whatever duty is due once you hit whatever shipment limit they impose. Time will tell.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
So who is going to count shipments ? It will take a big (and functioning) database to track all shipments (and keep a count) by Cedula or Passport Number

And if you have an account at several shippers (EPS, CPS, Encargo Pak, Jet Pak....and others) they all have to report too.

More than likely it won't work and if so it will probably double count so you are the soup quicker.

And these shippers make a lot of dough - and they will not be happy if shipments dry up.

Also I can see a new business model for locals - establish an account so extranjeros can order to your address and get 100-150 pesos every time something ships in to your address. There you go, I just invented a new career for a family with cedulas.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So who is going to count shipments ? It will take a big (and functioning) database to track all shipments (and keep a count) by Cedula or Passport Number

And if you have an account at several shippers (EPS, CPS, Encargo Pak, Jet Pak....and others) they all have to report too.

More than likely it won't work and if so it will probably double count so you are the soup quicker.

And these shippers make a lot of dough - and they will not be happy if shipments dry up.

Also I can see a new business model for locals - establish an account so extranjeros can order to your address and get 100-150 pesos every time something ships in to your address. There you go, I just invented a new career for a family with cedulas.

It would hardly be a career if the shipments are limited to say 20 a year or a few thousand dollars before the duty kicks in. Let's see what it really means. I am sure either I or others will find out the specifics of what customs will and won't monitor a short time after this kicks in just after Q2 of this year starts.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have always wondered what expats ship in....... i never ship in anything lol........
Did all the big household stuff in the beginning, a while back.
As for the small stuff, i just bring it in when i travel back and forth.....less hassle. I just make a list as i go along with my life in the dr.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I haven't bought a single thing here in Sosua save a few tables, chairs and batteries. I have not bought a single stitch of clothing here. All gifts, electronics even 81 mg aspirin comes from Amazon or elsewhere.

I have left the DR once since moving here and have no plans to leave again until some family member passes away or something comes up that requires my presence elsewhere. So I don't have a regular opportunity to stock up when travelling. If people come to visit I give them a list of sundries to bring if they have space in their suitcase.

I suspect that if I lived in SD or Santiago I might enjoy more retail variety but I refuse to spend $8 for 10 81 mg aspirin tablets when I can spend $8 (shipping to the DR included) and get a bottle of 365.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

There it is !

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am wondering if CPS is having a total meltdown.
Today their website has been off line all day - Glad I started switching over to Encargo but I still have several things coming (supposedly) to CPS

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As was mentioned before. Just about all of these companies like EPS, CPS, etc. would be out of business if not for the under $200 shipments. That is how they make their living. These are mostly Dominican companies, and they know how to deal with these types of regulations. I would not worry too much about this.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As was mentioned before. Just about all of these companies like EPS, CPS, etc. would be out of business if not for the under $200 shipments. That is how they make their living. These are mostly Dominican companies, and they know how to deal with these types of regulations. I would not worry too much about this.

exactly. as i said, there is a 6 cellphone limit, and i have already imported 12 this year.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Things are definitely changing. Customs are now stopping absolutely anything which could be for commercial use and there is now a backlog of parcels at the airport. My account manager at CPS said she personally has about 30 client parcels stuck and she said there are many many more, just for CPS. She has assured me that the main aim is to stop commercial use of the $200 exemption. For domestic items she thinks people will be OK. Customs are looking at what is imported by each person, so if you import a cellphone every week they are going to stop you, but if you import something completely different every week you should be OK. At least that's what she has said to me.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
The link that Windy posted worked for me today. Tried yesterday with a similar, but not the exact link that EPS sent and got nowhere.

By the way they send you an Email right away that you click and then the registration is complete. As they send another Email to confirm.

Sent in my registration a couple of days ago.....smooth sailing done in less than 5 min....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They will make a file with a list of everything you buy, if in a year you buy more celullars than a normal person will do, get ready for all the taxes they will make you pay.

There is ZERO chance of the Gov. getting tax money on something already received some time ago. NONE.............

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
There is ZERO chance of the Gov. getting tax money on something already received some time ago. NONE.............

When they match how many things of the same kind have you been buying and how many weeks has been since the last time you bring it for sure they can not charge on things you already received, but they can tax on futures receiving of same stuff. There are a lot people buying on internet to resell taking advantage of the 200.00 facility, so those people they want to catch and start to hold their packages and make them to pay taxes, taking same example of those people that receive cellphones every week.