Eating Rice in DR, or NOT

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
They always find a way to defeat the purpose of they way things are to do what they are designed to do

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
I love Jasmine. A couple of Brit friends raved so much about Basmati that I bought a 20 pound bag of Royal at Sam's. I messed it up first two times I made it. And you can't do con-con with it.

I think I'm sticking with the jasmine. Our maid had us laughing last trip. She cooks for us, herself, the caretaker and whoever else is on the property at the time. She came and whispered to me "This rice is not for poor people, if they eat it they will get mareo." She was joking of course, but she often scolded me for "feeding too many people".

Okay NOW I understand what con-con is and don't understand why anyone would like burnt rice. To me jasmine is decadent and delicious...Basmati is the more health conscious version of it lol

Aug 6, 2006
I also find Dominican arroz con gandules to be really, really boring. I like rice with spinach and mozzarella, rice with seafood, rice and red beans cajun style, but arroz con gandules I am tired of even when it it the first time in a year I find them in front of me. I am none too fond of meat cooked with burnt Victorina tomato sauce. Chicken, pork, beef or goat, it all tastes the same, that is, like burnt tomato sauce. Sancocho is great, mangu is fine, berenjena me gusta. At home I have a Hitachi rice cooker that I bought in a yard sale for $5.00 and it cooks all sorts of rice, even sticky rice (like you use for sushi) perfectly, with no burnt stuff stuck to the bottom. It has outlasted three cheapo Chinese rice cookers, not counting the use it got before I bought it. Sometimes I just add salt and butter to the rice and I like it fine.

Aug 6, 2006
I can eat anything every day also, I just find some things more boring than others.

In Ecuador, there are few places where rice is not included with every meal. Very bland, white rice. Also it is common to get a serving of popcorn. The best dishes are the ones that use potatoes in different ways. Llapingachos are sort of a cross between enchiladas and shepherd's pie and I really love those.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The absolutely worst rice for me is when they throw in a can of corn. Never liked corn never will. The way it goes in is the way it comes out. Whats the point of that. I have worked in sewers so I know

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm so glad i am not the only rice enemy here. i just can't with the same stuff over and over again. how god damn boring is that?
at home we have this to satisfy occasional miesposo's rice cravings: Zojirushi
cooks white, brown and wild rice. sticky rice, sushi rice, whatever you wish. great stuff, highly recommended.

i appreciate the fact that at home we can eat something different. today i made a simple salad. few days ago it was a hunter's stew (polish dish). before that home made pizza with capers and artichoke. before that chicken breasts stuffed with ham and sun dried tomato.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I like dominican rice, and I love concon. Just not everyday ( maybe every other day, lol ).
My in laws eat rice, habichuela and platano 3 times a day. If u serve a meal without one of those they think ure mad, and tell u thats why u are so thin ( I m not actually, just by dominican standards).

I ve taken to drill holes in barrel that I use for basura and I chain to a palm tree.....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I LOVE "ConCon"!!!!
Salty, crispy, what's not to lie?????
Like "Fritos/Doritos" without the spices, or FAT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
But then I like "PicaPica con Dumplin" too.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
i do not eat white rice. wild rice, yeah, con gusto. but white? no. nope. never ate rice in 7 years here. i love beans, thou, so i always have a serving of beans with my food. i just pour it all over whatever else i eat. it's grossing my mother in law to no end. for 7 years with every meal she brings me a separate bowl for beans and for 7 years i've been ignoring this suggestion. all that she achieved is that i do not want to go and eat there anymore.

I love, love white rice! I serve it with beef stir fry with broccoli or any other kind of veggies.:classic:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Moderator please close this thread. It's heresy :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Talking bad about Arroz con Guandules? Now I've seen it all. If I'm ever on death row, about to be executed and I'm offered a last meal it will be my Mom's Arroz con Guandules and Chivo picante, with a nice side of crispy ConCon of course, a Batida de Zapote, a nice ice cold Presidente and a small cup of Dominican coffee. I would die a happy man.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012

Talking bad about Arroz con Guandules? Now I've seen it all. If I'm ever on death row, about to be executed and I'm offered a last meal it will be my Mom's Arroz con Guandules and Chivo picante, with a nice side of crispy ConCon of course, a Batida de Zapote, a nice ice cold Presidente and a small cup of Dominican coffee. I would die a happy man.
and the diference is MOM made it..........big diference

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
batida de zapote?

fd63uv.gif

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012

and the diference is MOM made it..........big diference

Aug 6, 2006
The chivo picante and the batida de zapote and the coffee makes up for the arroz. And I have never tried your mother's cooking.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
To suzaren, well said, except make it an xlarge dominican mug of coffee for me please.....

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
i'm so glad i am not the only rice enemy here. i just can't with the same stuff over and over again. how god damn boring is that?
at home we have this to satisfy occasional miesposo's rice cravings: Zojirushi
cooks white, brown and wild rice. sticky rice, sushi rice, whatever you wish. great stuff, highly recommended.

i appreciate the fact that at home we can eat something different. today i made a simple salad. few days ago it was a hunter's stew (polish dish). before that home made pizza with capers and artichoke. before that chicken breasts stuffed with ham and sun dried tomato.

I adore hunter's stew. Sauerkraut is highly underrated both for its flavor and health benefit. A small contingency of Poles started working in the cafeteria at my job. The hunters stew was on the menu a few times, but it just didn't sell. I ate it twice daily during its brief appearance.

My step-dad is of Ukrainian descent. Similar cuisine as you know.

In my family rice was served once a week when my mom made chow mein. We kids loved it. Also served when sick. We also ate it as breakfast cereal with milk and sugar and butter. And my favorite, rice pudding. Yum yum.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The absolutely worst rice for me is when they throw in a can of corn. Never liked corn never will. The way it goes in is the way it comes out. Whats the point of that. I have worked in sewers so I know

that's a little too much information there, rojerjac...