Eating Rice in DR, or NOT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree... I still remember Jamaican food when I used to live there, back in the 90's... But now I eat fantastic "Mediterranean/Italian" food, made with local products... Gourmet seafood salad, perfect pastas, and so on...

Of course, Olive oil is not made here... But French bread is made right here in Las Terrenas ;)

I will allow rice about twice a week. No sopita, no "habichuelas rojas/blancas".

On the positive side, I love "arrepitas de yucca" and "batida de lechoza" :D

i was born in Jamaica, and lived many years there. what is your impression of the food there , relative to the food in the DR, for instance?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
i was born in Jamaica, and lived many years there. what is your impression of the food there , relative to the food in the DR, for instance?
Ackee and Saltfish... Calaloo, roasted breadfruit, Red Stripe, all good :)

Add some 1982 rub a dub and a spliff...

But then again, I was in my early 20's, and now I am 20 years older ;)

Jamaica has good food & good music, versus DR's bad food & bad music. But life in the DR is much easier for me.

And Saman? province has somehow a feel of Portland Parish (Port Antonio, JA)...

Btw, I am not Errol Flynn ;)

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Just got onto this thread, IMO, Dominicans rat way too much carbohydrates and starch. I know thats a thing
of the income level, but def not for me.Thats why the girls all have a "pooch" instead of flat tummies. Very typical
of countries which have little money.
So, No, I do not do much rice, and I prefer brown rice.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ackee and Saltfish... Calaloo, roasted breadfruit, Red Stripe, all good :)

Add some 1982 rub a dub and a spliff...

But then again, I was in my early 20's, and now I am 20 years older ;)

Jamaica has good food & good music, versus DR's bad food & bad music. But life in the DR is much easier for me.

And Saman? province has somehow a feel of Portland Parish (Port Antonio, JA)...

Btw, I am not Errol Flynn ;)

yes, you have lived there; callaloo..

and yes, Samana is a lot like Port Antonio..

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The crazy thing adopt rice is it is grown in great quantity in the DR. It would be cheaper to bring it in from the US. Something is wrong with this picture. It should be cheaper here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The crazy thing adopt rice is it is grown in great quantity in the DR. It would be cheaper to bring it in from the US. Something is wrong with this picture. It should be cheaper here.

economics is largely about scale. a large rice farm in the DR is a backyard garden in the USA.