Eating Rice in DR, or NOT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Suarzen, please add, some "Chicarones de Cerdo", an "Aguacate Bien Maduro", and a "Querito" for desert!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Or TWO"!!!!!!!!:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The funny thing is that many Dominicans believe they have a rich cuisine. My country doesn't have the most sophisticated kitchen but it's way better than the horrible, boring, Dominican food. The food is actually one of the reasons for me to consider to go back to Holland.

It took me a while to get clear to the cooking lady not to use oregano, not a lot, not a little and not even a very tiny little bit. That stuff makes my stomach turn.

Happily we regularly eat pasta, lasagna, Mexican, as well, but the joy of eating is gone when I'm served rice and beans, mangu, yautia, guandules, yucca, sancocho (guacala). Asopao is the only thing I do enjoy.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The funny thing is that many Dominicans believe they have a rich cuisine. My country doesn't have the most sophisticated kitchen but it's way better than the horrible, boring, Dominican food. The food is actually one of the reasons for me to consider to go back to Holland.

It took me a while to get clear to the cooking lady not to use oregano, not a lot, not a little and not even a very tiny little bit. That stuff makes my stomach turn.

Happily we regularly eat pasta, lasagna, Mexican, as well, but the joy of eating is gone when I'm served rice and beans, mangu, yautia, guandules, yucca, sancocho (guacala). Asopao is the only thing I do enjoy.

And saying Holland does not have a rich cuisine, is the understatement of the year. It has no cuisine.

I thought I had tasted the worst food ever in the world, in Holland, until I came here. Even I now crave some bitterballen and "een broodje kroket". Still not sure about that "bal gehakt".

BelgianK

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And saying Holland does not have a rich cuisine, is the understatement of the year. It has no cuisine.

I thought I had tasted the worst food ever in the world, in Holland, until I came here. Even I now crave some bitterballen and "een broodje kroket". Still not sure about that "bal gehakt".

BelgianK

so how do you explain all the Dominicans who say that tourists come to the DR for the music and the food? are they mistaken?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
so how do you explain all the Dominicans who say that tourists come to the DR for the music and the food? are they mistaken?
Now how would it look on travel advice sites if they told the truth...." went for the cheap booze and plentiful p#@$%"

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

BelgianK

Don't they only eat 'friet' in Belgium? I do really miss my 'frikandel speciaal' though.

And no, holland doesn't have a cuisine, but at least we vary with what we eat our daily potatoes...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mauricio", "Not So Fast"!!!!!
When my grandparents moved to Illinois from Amsterdam, "Grandma" brought all her favorite "Dutch National Dishes" with her!!
Boy could that lady "Boil A Potato"!!!!!!!!
And not only boil a "Potato", but every thing else too!
"Salcochado" was her element!!!!!
They had 7 boys, & 7 girls, to it looks like "Boiled Potatoes" are very neutricious, or more likely, an "Aphrodisiac"!!!
I do thank my "Uncle Ronnie" for introducing me to whole smoked herring ( Like "Arenke Light") at around 6 years old!
Good Sausages there too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
I heard somewhere in a thread around here, that people in DR don't know how to cook goat and other meat. let me tell you guys something, it really depends on the cook, because not everybody have the cooking skill. Heck, my mom's cousin knows how to make killer chicharrones cuchifritos, and goat meat. I think the more elderly folks are the ones with cooking talent. I love rice, and I prefer rice over platano, guineo verde, and rulo anytime. In my family, we eat what is being cooked, either that or que no coma na! There's no room for manosos. I was raised like that and I'm alive!.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
First time I lived in DR I lost 10 kilos of weight (and I have never been fat). The lady cooking in my future parents in law's house was Haitian (not trying to start another discussion here) and she didn't know at all how to cook. It seems most Dominicans are not very sensitive when it comes to food, even though the whole family admitted she cooked horrible, they all loaded their plates like if they hadn't eaten for days. I didn't, I just ate enough to not starve and would often go to KFC, MacDonalds or BK.

It took me a while (when I got married and we had our own cooking lady) to realize the food is bad but it's eatable. Same with avocado. They served me once (my first) one that was not good anymore. I haven't touched one anymore until 4 years ago, which made me realize it improves the rice and beans a lot when you add a avocado.

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
i knew someone would bring this up. we are not kids here. or poor. we eat what we like, not what is there.

I understand, Dv8, thing is we didn't have that option of not wanting to eat what there is or was available. I can't cook so therefore I have to s*ck it up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i knew someone would bring this up. we are not kids here. or poor. we eat what we like, not what is there.

i once heard a saying that Dominicans eat to live, unlike people who live to eat. that is why culinary skill is not high on the list of societal requirements. if you can chew and swallow it, then "ta buena".

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Jajajajajaja :) I love your sense of humor!!! Don't we all know that both music & food suck?

That said, there is a salvation for us, newly Dominican citizen: Pandora Internet Radio - Listen to Free Music You'll Love & Mediterranean Food!

A good playlist on Pandora, and some time to form you Dominican maid to use local fruit, veggies & sea-food to make great italian style food...

I love this country, but I am not going to copycat the behavior of my new nation :D

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Jajajajajaja :) I love your sense of humor!!! Don't we all know that both music & food suck?

That said, there is a salvation for us, newly Dominican citizen: Pandora Internet Radio - Listen to Free Music You'll Love & Mediterranean Food!

A good playlist on Pandora, and some time to form you Dominican maid to use local fruit, veggies & sea-food to make great italian style food...

I love this country, but I am not going to copycat the behavior of my new nation :D

if you eat in the homes of the higher classes of Dominicans, you can sometimes get some spectacular food. i had a sancocho in Santo Domingo, and it was one of the best meals i have ever eaten, anywhere. it is the poor people who have no clue about cooking .that is unlike the english speaking caribbean, where the poor people make some awesome food.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
that is unlike the english speaking caribbean, where the poor people make some awesome food.
I agree... I still remember Jamaican food when I used to live there, back in the 90's... But now I eat fantastic "Mediterranean/Italian" food, made with local products... Gourmet seafood salad, perfect pastas, and so on...

Of course, Olive oil is not made here... But French bread is made right here in Las Terrenas ;)

I will allow rice about twice a week. No sopita, no "habichuelas rojas/blancas".

On the positive side, I love "arrepitas de yucca" and "batida de lechoza" :D