EDTA - Inverter batteries.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
juanita said:
I got together with neighbors and friends to share the kilo and we all put it in our batteries about a month ago, so far, all batteries are better then what they were; some were almost dead and came back to life and the other now last longer. These are all batteries that we use for our invertors. With a good shake the power mixed pretty well with the distilled water. For us, so far, this has been a magic powder! :)
Thanks for the reply.
As it has been only a month, would you please keep us abreast as time goes by?
Do you feel that your batteries operate as well as when they were brand new?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
More info

This is a copy of some of the info I picked up from the original EDTA post.

EDTA ( Ethylenediaminetetraaceticacid-tetrasodium salt ) is used to dissolve sulfate deposits from lead acid batteries. The net effect is to lower the cost of battery based electricity by recovering otherwise unuseable batteries thus preventing the purchase of new batteries.
The EDTA is a dry powder. Use one tablespoon per cell for golf cart batteries such as a Trojan T-105 type battery and twice as much for larger batteries. The EDTA must first be dissolved in water before adding it to the battery. EDTA does not dissolve in battery acid, but will mix with battery acid if it is first dissolved in water. There are approx. 40 tablespoons in one pound of EDTA.

EDTA FOR DESULFATING LEAD ACID BATTERIES

This information is intended to help our customers use the EDTA supplied by Trailhead Supply and to clear up any confusion about how to dissolve it.

1. Our EDTA is the tetrasodium salt version which is the only form of EDTA reported on in Home Power Magazine.

2. EDTA dissolves easily in water but does not dissolve in battery acid. Do not add the dry powder EDTA directly to a battery cell - it will not dissolve in the acid.

3. To the best of our knowlege, everything that is known about EDTA for battery rejuvination appears in the following Home Power articles. HP # 20, pg. 23, HP #21, pg. 36, HP #29, pg. 44, HP #55, pg. 108, HP #52, pg.78 HP #58, pg. 63 HP #68, pg. 114. We highly recommend that you carefully read these articles so that you will know as much as possible about how to use EDTA and what to expect.

4. In general, the instructions are to use one tablespoon of EDTA per quart of electrolyte capacity of the cell to be treated. If you don't know the capacity of your cells, then use one tablespoon per cell for industrial deep cycle batteries such as a Trojan T-105 or golf cart batteries and two tablespoons per cell for larger batteries.
Mix the EDTA with one to two ounces of distilled water per tablespoon of EDTA. Add this mixture to the battery cells in the amounts indicated above.

5. Charging the battery after the EDTA treatment helps.

6. It may take as long as a month for the full effect of the treatment to become apparent. Go ahead and use the battery in normal opperation.

7. The amount of EDTA needed to clean a battery depends on how heavily sulfated it is. If your battery is heavily sulfated or has very low capacity or does not fully recover after one treatment, the battery may need a second treatment. Some have needed as many as three.

8. Since this EDTA treatment has the potential to lower the cost of batteries and encorage the use of renewable energy, please share your results with Home Power magazine in hopes of increasing our understanding of this technology.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Rocky said:
Thanks for the reply.
As it has been only a month, would you please keep us abreast as time goes by?
Do you feel that your batteries operate as well as when they were brand new?

Rocky,

my batteries are 2 years old; were not totally dead, but they would not last me more than 2 hours, now I can go for more than 4 hours no problem...will keep you posted in a couple of months. But the point is, from what I have researched on this product, it cannot do no harm to your batteries, so if your batteries are not giving you full charge, you have nothing to loose trying it!

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
juanita said:
Rocky,

my batteries are 2 years old; were not totally dead, but they would not last me more than 2 hours, now I can go for more than 4 hours no problem...will keep you posted in a couple of months. But the point is, from what I have researched on this product, it cannot do no harm to your batteries, so if your batteries are not giving you full charge, you have nothing to loose trying it!
I know what you mean, but if the EDTA you purchased has some impurities in it that affect the longevity of the batteries, then it would be better to use the higher quality product and not lose the future potential of the battery.
I love a good deal, just like anybody else and it would be one heck of a lot more convenient than trying to import it, but if you consider the value of a battery and the small price it costs to restore them using the imported EDTA, it seems well worth it.
My friend's 24 batteries were restored for less than the price of one battery.
Here is a copy of a document that Thebes posted in the original thread that first mentioned EDTA on DR1.
http://www.homepower.com/files/edta.pdf

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Rocky said:
I would love to find out that this is the same photographic quality EDTA as I have purchsed, as the savings are great.
In the previous EDTA post, here on DR1, there were links to studies and there were stern warnings about using anything but photographic quality EDTA.
As I am not willing to throw any old junk into my good batteries for maintenance, I would not take the chance.
I would do it on an old junk battery, just to see, but I would always be suspicious that other chemicals were going in ther and reducing the capacity and longevity of my batteries.
I am interested to know how long you have been using the product on your batteries.

This is indeed interesting. Something I can use for my batteries at my place in La Union. LOL knowing how the electric is anything that will help extend the battery life is welcome.

Scottie

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Rocky said:
EDTA has to be mixed with distilled water first, then added to the batteries and if necessary, you may have to remove some of the acid to fit the new solution in.
Keep the acid for filling up at a later date.
Do NOT try to add the powder straight in.
Btw: we used a huge syringe to insert and remove the liquids.
We brought ours in ourselves, as the transport costs were very restrictive.
Greg,
Is there a possibility of you stocking EDTA at your store soon, to make it more accessible for those on the North Coast? ;)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
great work, Rocky

wow, I'm impressed. Looks like there may be a run on used batteries and inverters. I may consider buying now.

R. Racoon

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
dawnwil said:
wow, I'm impressed. Looks like there may be a run on used batteries and inverters. I may consider buying now.

R. Racoon
You know you can borrow my spare inverter, anytime you like.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dr. Frankenstein.

Simon & Nicky said:
You remember those four batteries I let you borrow? ;)
Yup. I'm still hoping to save a couple of them, now that I have some precious white powder in them. It would seem that a couple of them are short circuited, or something. I'm no technician, but when a 6 volt battery hasn't got enough power to operate a lightbulb for 30 seconds and then it jumps up to 11 volts the minute you hook it up to a charger, you know there's something wrong. That Dominican made one, (Meteoro) has surely bit the dust and would make a great garden ornament for you up on your mountain top. The 2 Exides and the Trace might still have a chance.
What I can't figure out is, how does one get a battery into that bad a condition.
Have you been conducting those weird electrical experiments again, Dr. Frankenstein???

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
Rocky said:
I may be wrong, but I believe that these devices are equal to using the equalize feature on a Trace inverter and are only useful to people who have other brands that lack the feature.
In the case of massive phosphate buildup, I believe that EDTA is the only solution.
This is of course only IMHO.

Desulfators are the ONLY products in the world that utilize patented pulse technology. And this technology is the ONLY method that will completely eliminate the number one cause of battery problems and failure ?sulfation buildup (crystallized sulfur molecules on the battery plates) and related problems.

Other products may claim to provide the same benefits, but they don?t. Most of them merely try to "maintain" the battery by charging them on a constant basis. The problem is too much charging will ultimately overheat and damage the lead plates. In other words, the "cure" could be worse than the disease.

Other products even claim to remove crystallized sulfates from the plates. But, this too is usually done by over charging the plates in order to literally knock the sulfates loose. In this situation, only a few sulfates are removed as active plate material sheds and falls useless to the bottom of the battery acid. It?s sort of like blowing up the house just to get rid of the termites.

Desulfators remove the embedded sulfates and put them back into the electrolyte as active sulfuric acid.

They also prevent them from recrystallizing, and won?t harm the battery in any way.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

The equalization is a controlled 5% to 10% absorption overcharge to equalize and balance the voltage and specific gravity in each cell. Equalizing reverses the build-up of the chemical effects like stratification where acid concentration is greater in the bottom of the battery. It also (MAY HELP, MAYBE) to remove sulfate crystals that might have built up on the surface or in the pours of the plates. You should equalize wet batteries when one or more of the following occur:

Where the temperature compensated Specific Gravity reading difference between cells is .030 (or 30 "points") or greater

Where the temperature compensated Specific Gravity reading difference of a cell is .010 (or 10 "points") or more below the reading for a fully charged cell when the battery is fully charged

When one cell requires more water than all the other cells

When one cell does not require as much water as all of the other cells

PEACE

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Rocky - What a guy

Let me tell you something.... The batteries I gave to Rocky were totally - I mean TOTALLY Basura! They had stood with their tops off with absolutely no water in them for at least six months and probably a lot longer. They were left in my shed when I bought my house. I was waiting to find a place to dump them. Rocky used them for his "experiement" because if he could get these things to work then anything was possible with his special powder.

Rocky - ladies and gentlemen; has somehow managed to turn **** into gold.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Desulfators

Camachosoft said:
Desulfators are the ONLY products in the world that utilize patented pulse technology. And this technology is the ONLY method that will completely eliminate the number one cause of battery problems and failure ?sulfation buildup (crystallized sulfur molecules on the battery plates) and related problems.
I'm interested in anything that works.
What documentation do you have that desulfators are the ONLY way to go?
I spoke to a fellow who told me that they broke in 6 months and had been a complete waste of money.
I have no experience with them whatsoever. I don't even know what they look like.
What do they cost.
Do you have them yourself.
How long do they last.
Any info would be appreciated.
Regards, Marco.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not so fast, Dr. Franks...

Simon & Nicky said:
Let me tell you something.... The batteries I gave to Rocky were totally - I mean TOTALLY Basura! They had stood with their tops off with absolutely no water in them for at least six months and probably a lot longer. They were left in my shed when I bought my house. I was waiting to find a place to dump them. Rocky used them for his "experiement" because if he could get these things to work then anything was possible with his special powder.

Rocky - ladies and gentlemen; has somehow managed to turn **** into gold.
They ain't working yet.
If I do manage to turn s... into gold, then I'll be looking to buy some outhouses.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
windeguy said:
Juanita,

I have been researching the EDTA use to help batteries for over a month. It didn't look like "web legend" and I am happy to see you confirm that it is working. My batteries are year old and there hasn't been enough street power to fully charge and properly equalize them. Deposits are building up..

I purchased what is supposed to be tetrasodium EDTA in a chemical supply house in Santiago at 195 pesos per kilo. I don't want to have everyone go off to get this before I can confirm that this supplier has the version of the product that will work. If it is available as locally as Santiago (the same supplier is in Santo Domingo as well), it would be much more covenient.

From all I could read, this verision of EDTA should be 'very' soluble in water. I just took 1 teaspoon and I am having trouble getting that amount dissolved in 8 ounces of distilled water. With that situation, getting a tablespoon per cell into the batteries would be a real challenge. How much were you able to get dissolved in what volume of water? Thanks for any information you can report on that.

Windeguy, I disolved my stuff of 1 1/2 teaspoon in less than 2 oz of water no problemo! :bandit:

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
Rocky said:
I'm interested in anything that works.
What documentation do you have that desulfators are the ONLY way to go?
I spoke to a fellow who told me that they broke in 6 months and had been a complete waste of money.
I have no experience with them whatsoever. I don't even know what they look like.
What do they cost.
Do you have them yourself.
How long do they last.
Any info would be appreciated.
Regards, Marco.

I have one,
Used on 2 inverter for a few weeks... and it worked, my bateries "revived"...
now i have it on my car... testing it

I bough one to this guys

http://www.pulsetech.com/

you can read info about it there

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Camachosoft said:
I have one,
Used on 2 inverter for a few weeks... and it worked, my bateries "revived"...
now i have it on my car... testing it

I bough one to this guys

http://www.pulsetech.com/

you can read info about it there
Which one of these units are we talking about?

740X360
PRS-BASE-110
PRS Power Base
Desulfate, condition and recover two 6- or 12-volt lead-acid batteries at a time.
User Price: $395.00

or

740X650
PRS-12 110V
PRS 12
System desulfates and recovers twelve 6- or 12-volt batteries. Includes one Power Base and five Add-On Modules.
User Price: $1,995.00

or neither?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
juanita said:
Hello Boys!

I myself have tried the magic powder and it is amazing how it works...and I bought it here in Santo Domingo for 300 pesos/kilo! Here is the place:

Distribudora de Quimicos IMP
Prof. A Gomez 111
Villa Juana
472-2215

The only thing is, if the owner see all these gringos buying his powder he will probably put the price way up, so boys, wear your dark glasses and speak your best Dominican Slang!! :cool:

Or maybe not, in my experience Gringos trying to sound like Dominican Tigueres end up doing a fair impression of a retarded Haitian trying to speak Portuguese.

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
Rocky said:
Which one of these units are we talking about?

740X360
PRS-BASE-110
PRS Power Base
Desulfate, condition and recover two 6- or 12-volt lead-acid batteries at a time.
User Price: $395.00

or

740X650
PRS-12 110V
PRS 12
System desulfates and recovers twelve 6- or 12-volt batteries. Includes one Power Base and five Add-On Modules.
User Price: $1,995.00

or neither?

POWERPULSE
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/pulsetech/power_pulse.htm

:)