Everything in Sosua Completely Dead?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
I see the periodic stress to the north coast as a good thing. It keeps the number of businesses like Jose O'Shays and Bailey's down to a minimum and means that Sosua is always getting new businesses started. As it is, most start-up are done by ex-pats, and that may not be the best thing. While many if not most of the new businesses fail, every time there is a flip, several other industries benefit from it. If the tourist business was really steady, the place would start to look like a mall and the prices would be higher for us. It's nice that there's a Bailey's in Sosua and Jose's in Cabarete, but I wouldn't want 10 or even 5 of them in each town. It's nice to have a mix.

But if things are never stable, then you get the market taken over by businesses with low start costs and very high turnover rates. It's not that there isn't any Bailey's~ it's that now there's no Brittania, Rocky's or Jolly Rodger's either. It's all crappy dinky bars, a couple of discos and the ex-pats aren't wanting to do start-ups anymore. On the plus side, even after a really bad year, the start up costs are so low that the shops don't sit empty for long.

What you want is something in-between. You cast a bigger net for what kind of people will come to town, and it's more interesting experience when you meet all kinds of people.

The problem now is they are trying to push out the *low end* of the tourist market. If you want to cater to the family side of the market, businesses will have to upgrade their storefronts, put in decent bathrooms and prob pay even more rent than their paying now. But anyone who has been around may be thinking that would be too risky. They're going with an 'if it ain''t broke, don't fix it" mentality. They also benefit from having the start-ups fail because it keeps the competition down. Too many nicer places open up and then upgrading becomes mandatory. Then when you have a bad season, it's not just a few businesses that go under, it's the whole town. The empty shops stay empty because the start up costs are now too high and there's no expectation that the town will recover. That is the big fear. Sosua can recover when things are crappy, but if you want a strip mall, you're dooming the town eventually because the industry simply won't be stable enough for it to be sustainable.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
but with that said - and this one was simply #1 on Google Dominican Republic: Cruises to Puerto Plata in 14 Months but there are many others including one from Carnival itself - that the cruises will start coming into Maimon in December 2014.
What will this mean to Sosua? I think lots of tourists on booked day trips to the beach... but I don't think this will mean much in terms of business to the local businesses in the Batey unless they are dropped in Batey and then forced to walk down the strip to get to the beach.

the latest news conference brought news that the port will not open until mid 2015:
DIRECTOR DE PUERTO PLATA CIUDAD CRUCERISTA REVELA TERMINAL DE CRUCEROS COMENZARA OPERAR A MEDIADOS DEL 2015

as far as possible outcome for north coast we discussed it here:
http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/142688-carnival-cruise-lines-port-maimon.html
and here:
http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/139999-maimon-port-will-actually-pay-off.html

personally i do not think it will be quite as impactful for the local communities as many claim or hope.

lastly, i suggest that you start reading some dominican news for more info that does not contain endless to ho or not to ho bickering. for local NC news check:
Puerto Plata Digital
PUERTO PLATA HABLA
and for general news:
DiarioLibre.com - Peri?dico lider en Rep?blica Dominicana

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Radio broadcast from Casa de Arte in Sos?a
In memory of Waldo Rafael Musa, founder of the radio station Z-101 in Puerto Plata the Z-101 team organized a two-day radio marathon. Radio broadcast from Casa de Arte in Sos?a , Radio broadcast from Casa de Arte
in Sos?a

The broadcasts took place from locations in Casa Colonial in Playa Dorado, Ocean World, Cabarete and from Casa de Arte in Sos?a. For the broadcast on Sunday afternoon which took place at Casa de Arte, influential residents of Sos?a were invited, including Mayor Ilana Neumann, Pastor Bernardo V?squez, Ms. Belkis Casciati, Olmedo Castillo, Eduardo Llibre, Miguel Angel Rivera, Ms. Loli de Esca?os, painter Adolfo Faringthon and Lorenzo Sancasani. During the broadcast there was a discussion on tourism developments in Sos?a and what changes are needed to change Sos?a into a cultural center.
Source: Sos?a Online

(Now you know the real plan, Sosua is going to be a cultural center) :bunny:

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
Businesses in Cabarete have not seen less business in over 10 years. It is not just Sosua, so you cannot blame this on any changes made in Sosua. You can blame it on Punta Cana getting many more tourists, lack of hotel space, expensive flights, and a bad world economy. Those changes are considered by many to be improvements, by the way. People looking for "entertainment" can still find it anywhere so those that want to "save Sosua" can still do so.

You are correct, especially about the Expensive Airfares...I mean its summer and people in the US and Canada like to go on vacation. How does having the MOST expensive airport to land in the country(POP) help tourism in the part of the country that needs the extra tourism so badly?? I fly in next week and I'm saving the $200+ extra dollars and landing in Santiago....That's SAD! Wake up Dominican Govt.!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominican airports are privately managed. part of the costs is down to various companies that run the airports. i do agree that lowering the prices for POP airport would be beneficial but so are other incentives such as good infrastructure in terms of travel to the final destination or availability, price and quality of hotel rooms. attracting new airlines and new flights takes lots of effort.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
To paraphrase Mark Twain, "Reports of Sosua's death are being greatly exaggerated."

I don't go out every night, but Saturday, crowded until 3am when I went home.
Monday, still crowded when I left around 1am (after the Yankees lost in 13 inning!)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
A little time will tell but the sky has fallen while we wait for the families, cultural centers and those who love fine dining to take over the economic heart beat of Sosua. The town has it died, but its a Dominican funeral, and we will delay burial until the cadaver begins to smell. It may be a vodoo thing and come back to life. Happens in the DR all the time. I hope I am wrong.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Business is much better this low season than in the previous years. I was out on the town on the weekend and it was far from being slow....no crickets chirpping at all. The closing of Pedro Clisante is a positive move as per the comments of all my customers. People need to stop being so negative and get a life.

You must be out in a different town than everyone else who I have spoken too... Today I spoke with a couple of business owners as we are looking for a location and was told its crickets on PC...

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
But where are all the families?? I thought they were suppose to come to town in droves once they got the chicas off the street..

Wow there is a new flash..that they got the chicas off the street! I was out Saturday night and there were lots wandering around so I don't know where the reports of them getting the chicas off the street came from. I guess another false rumor that people love to throw out to the DR1 group.

When you have nothing to say just make something up.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I see the periodic stress to the north coast as a good thing. It keeps the number of businesses like Jose O'Shays and Bailey's down to a minimum and means that Sosua is always getting new businesses started. As it is, most start-up are done by ex-pats, and that may not be the best thing. While many if not most of the new businesses fail, every time there is a flip, several other industries benefit from it. If the tourist business was really steady, the place would start to look like a mall and the prices would be higher for us. It's nice that there's a Bailey's in Sosua and Jose's in Cabarete, but I wouldn't want 10 or even 5 of them in each town. It's nice to have a mix.

But if things are never stable, then you get the market taken over by businesses with low start costs and very high turnover rates. It's not that there isn't any Bailey's~ it's that now there's no Brittania, Rocky's or Jolly Rodger's either. It's all crappy dinky bars, a couple of discos and the ex-pats aren't wanting to do start-ups anymore. On the plus side, even after a really bad year, the start up costs are so low that the shops don't sit empty for long.

What you want is something in-between. You cast a bigger net for what kind of people will come to town, and it's more interesting experience when you meet all kinds of people.

The problem now is they are trying to push out the *low end* of the tourist market. If you want to cater to the family side of the market, businesses will have to upgrade their storefronts, put in decent bathrooms and prob pay even more rent than their paying now. But anyone who has been around may be thinking that would be too risky. They're going with an 'if it ain''t broke, don't fix it" mentality. They also benefit from having the start-ups fail because it keeps the competition down. Too many nicer places open up and then upgrading becomes mandatory. Then when you have a bad season, it's not just a few businesses that go under, it's the whole town. The empty shops stay empty because the start up costs are now too high and there's no expectation that the town will recover. That is the big fear. Sosua can recover when things are crappy, but if you want a strip mall, you're dooming the town eventually because the industry simply won't be stable enough for it to be sustainable.

This was a really great reflection of the situation... I agree with your opinion here and observation. I know from my past experience in business - that the best time to start a successful business is in these types of conditions and that also without an appetite for risk/taking risk you cannot expect reward.

Also any business owner who thinks they can start up and majicaly start making money is just out to lunch. Over 5 years - first year will be red (maybe even second year), third year break even, fourth and fifth year real profit should occur. I think sometimes start ups in Sosua implode is because of lack of a solid business plan that doesn't only rely on tourism and also not having 5 year financial projections and a plan to follow to measure if you are moving in the right direction... Just my 2 cents but I liked your observations a lot... =)

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
the latest news conference brought news that the port will not open until mid 2015:
DIRECTOR DE PUERTO PLATA CIUDAD CRUCERISTA REVELA TERMINAL DE CRUCEROS COMENZARA OPERAR A MEDIADOS DEL 2015

as far as possible outcome for north coast we discussed it here:
http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/142688-carnival-cruise-lines-port-maimon.html
and here:
http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/139999-maimon-port-will-actually-pay-off.html

personally i do not think it will be quite as impactful for the local communities as many claim or hope.

lastly, i suggest that you start reading some dominican news for more info that does not contain endless to ho or not to ho bickering. for local NC news check:
Puerto Plata Digital
PUERTO PLATA HABLA
and for general news:
DiarioLibre.com - Peri?dico lider en Rep?blica Dominicana

I agree - I think it will result in day trips to the beach, business for businesses on the beach and that's it. Come evening time they will load back onto the buses, onto the ships and off to the next Island.

As for the expected date - there was also a press release made my Carinival which my mother received as she cruises with them often and is on there mailing list that the DR port will be a cruising option come the end of the year. I will try to get it from her to post the link.

Good advice on publications too. Who really knows... and really, what in DR ever happens when expected lol/on time.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Wow there is a new flash..that they got the chicas off the street! I was out Saturday night and there were lots wandering around so I don't know where the reports of them getting the chicas off the street came from. I guess another false rumor that people love to throw out to the DR1 group.

When you have nothing to say just make something up.

I did started this thread and did not make anything up. I was in town 2 weeks ago and on another thread was complaining about seeing more on the street after the closure of Latin Drink. I speak to my guy and with friends in Sosua almost daily by email and phone telling me that it is dead.

I thought - golly... in 2 weeks it dripped to nothing.... Hence my thread looking for feedback from folks on the ground. Some people here saying it is really dead, some saying its busy - kind of strange considering it's the same town, same streets...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

I'm certain that this cruise ship dock will have very little if any impact directly to Sosua as Carnival has NO plans for allowing their passengers to spend their money anywhere else other than the cruise ship port if they can help it. The indirect impact that it will have is that if Carnival has good reviews from their clients, then IGY (Independent Global Yachting) will move forward with possibly creating a mega yacht / Marina in Sosua Bay. I'm not holding my breath for this one as it has been being looked at for many years, and the limited success that Ocean World has had isn't making things look promising. Ocean World will be the only business that I know on the NC that will benefit from the cruise ship dock. Maybe some local tours and the zip line thing who knows..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the idea of a cruise ship port is to keep us much money in the hands of the cruise company. simple. i am sure they are looking at a general situation on the north coast because we frequently mentioned that carnival is pressing local government to work on safety issues. no one wants liability for turistas getting robbed, killed or even getting upset stomach. it is better to keep the tourist in a controlled environment.

putting that aside: discrepancies in the description of sosua's situation are easy to explain. different areas, different time of the day and different people looking at different things.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004

I'm certain that this cruise ship dock will have very little if any impact directly to Sosua as Carnival has NO plans for allowing their passengers to spend their money anywhere else other than the cruise ship port if they can help it. The indirect impact that it will have is that if Carnival has good reviews from their clients, then IGY (Independent Global Yachting) will move forward with possibly creating a mega yacht / Marina in Sosua Bay. I'm not holding my breath for this one as it has been being looked at for many years, and the limited success that Ocean World has had isn't making things look promising. Ocean World will be the only business that I know on the NC that will benefit from the cruise ship dock. Maybe some local tours and the zip line thing who knows..

Not sure that I agree. My mom is a cruiser and purchases 2-3 paid tours per/cruise - she likes to get out and adventure around. On her last Disney cruise at each destination you had an option for a beach day and for $500 (yes I said it) you take a visit to a beach like Sosua and it included a shaded cabana on the beach, towels, drinks and a few other things. She tried to do it but it was sold out!!!! She did a beach day at another port on another cruise without the cabana and they booked the tour through the cruise and were delivered by bus about an hour away to a beautiful beach. In fact on her past tours the average travel time from port to destination for tours has been between 30 minutes to an hour. They will likely have: beach tours, city tours, ocean world, teleferico, ziplining, stuff that involves perhaps parasailing... I think they will all be sold and controlled by Carnival... that is my 2 cents and that of my mother who does not have a user account lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you have been in or visited a cruise ship port..... they swarm off that ship in all directions...

on organized outings or just to wander and get their 'land legs ' back.

somebody, somewhere in the area will benefit.......

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
the idea of a cruise ship port is to keep us much money in the hands of the cruise company. simple. i am sure they are looking at a general situation on the north coast because we frequently mentioned that carnival is pressing local government to work on safety issues. no one wants liability for turistas getting robbed, killed or even getting upset stomach. it is better to keep the tourist in a controlled environment.

putting that aside: discrepancies in the description of sosua's situation are easy to explain. different areas, different time of the day and different people looking at different things.

I speak to the Carnival executives all the time, I can assure you their plans do not include 'keeping the tourists in the port.' They have set aside 16 acres of the port for transportation out of the port, roads, parking, etc. for taxis, rental cars, excursion vans, and tour busses. I have seen the plans myself. They know for their $100M investment to be successful, the whole destination has to be successful, which means Carnival guests have to enjoy not just the port but the whole destination/town/excursions etc. Now I doubt there will be tours to Sosua, but there will be crew from the ship and some passengers that will find their way there, for sure. Even Puerto Plata town has to do some work before Carnival will send passengers there. One mugging or shooting can ruin the whole investment.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
But not in Sosua, surely. It's just too far away.

If they set up Day Tours they can. It's only about an hours drive. While we have no idea what they have planned, you would think they would provide some kind of Beach Trip, somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.