Everything in Sosua Completely Dead?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
people need to give their heads a good shake....

companies like Carnival don't throw darts at a world map to pick a new port....

they actually give it some thought..... they report to shareholders..... bla bla bla

ludicrous how smart some get after sitting on the duffs for a while

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the world's largest and most successful single cruise line........

I wonder who they are.

The top 7 cruise lines are actually owned by just 3 companies.....

Carnival is often referred to a 'brilliantly organized company'

the whole North Coast should be pleased that it was selected as a destination for Carnival

Google can be handy !!.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not too much hits my hot button any more...

but I would like to see the credentials of those who are 'second guessing' such a very successful public company..
likely the industry's best.

If you could see or listen to the wisdom you offer....
Must have mucho experience in that corner office suite..... eagle's eye view of the industry from up there , I bet.

don't waste that precious opinion on us..., write the Chairman, attend the Annual Meetings and voice your concerns.

Better yet ---- sell your shares

hubris........

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
not too much hits my hot button any more...

but I would like to see the credentials of those who are 'second guessing' such a very successful public company..
likely the industry's best.

If you could see or listen to the wisdom you offer....
Must have mucho experience in that corner office suite..... eagle's eye view of the industry from up there , I bet.

don't waste that precious opinion on us..., write the Chairman, attend the Annual Meetings and voice your concerns.

Better yet ---- sell your shares

hubris........

You are absolutely correct. Carnival knows what they are doing and are using the exact same business model in the DR that they have used elsewhere including the recent Grand Turk port. Everything that could be wanted by the passengers will be available at the port. There will be outside eexcursions but these will be small in numbers. You also have to remember that only the smaller cruise ships will be using this port. Carnival is building a complete infrastructure including many kiosks to cater to their passengers so that they won't have to leave the port.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
My credentials are that our company installs the desalination systems and wastewater systems for Carnival. Other than that, I know absolutely nothing.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I love Sosua, both busy and slow. I do hope there is some benefit for the little town from the cruise ships. I hope the government is smart enough not to put all their eggs in one basket and it works at including all forms of tourism....remembering it is a fickle beast...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
strike out that last sentence.... rebel
end it with Carnival.

good for you... but clearly, you aren't 2nd guessing anything.....

If anyone had a 'brackish' well here in RD.... is there a home type desalination device?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I live here, right in town and I do go out but I don't have a business to defend any more so I would say;

-Dead and boring for visiting gringos.
Chicas and touts on the street and nothing else special happening.
I really was hoping that the street closure would put some life back but I don't really see it yet.

Free music on the street at weekends gives an illusion of joy but lots of locals once a week does not a season make.....

I actually go to Cabarete for a night out instead! Who would have ever thought it?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Sprry, phones while drinking a beer can be problematic.. especially with fat thumbs.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
There are brakish systems available. Check out Crane environmental. Com need info or advice, just ask.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I love Sosua, both busy and slow. I do hope there is some benefit for the little town from the cruise ships. I hope the government is smart enough not to put all their eggs in one basket and it works at including all forms of tourism....remembering it is a fickle beast...

I second that - I love Sosua too. Challenges aside, I have been back and forth the past 14 or so years. I hope all of this results in more jobs and opportunity for everyone. Only time will tell.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I speak to the Carnival executives all the time, I can assure you their plans do not include 'keeping the tourists in the port.'

i said "keep money in the hands of the cruise company" and "keep the tourist in a controlled environment". controlled. by carnival. not necessarily in port. there will be trips. but they will be monitored, if not downright organized and led by carnival. i see little money leaking out to locals. less than the optimists assume.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
those trips will involve an activity... a paid for activity

paid for by the traveler and paid to the provider - through a pre-arranged purchase from the provider to the cruise line

usually works that way...

ask CB how he does his Moto Tours -- same deal.

you scratch mine -- I'll scratch yours

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
i said "keep money in the hands of the cruise company" and "keep the tourist in a controlled environment". controlled. by carnival. not necessarily in port. there will be trips. but they will be monitored, if not downright organized and led by carnival. i see little money leaking out to locals. less than the optimists assume.

You are right. Many tours off of cruises are organized by the cruise line.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I side with those of the opinion that very, very little money will make it into local hands from the cruises and whatever excursions they have planned. I hope that is wrong.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
average age of a Carnival client is quite young...

nobody is interested in the highest mountain in the Caribbean?
nobody wants to gallop a horse along a beach - like the movies?
Nobody wants a zip line?
Nobody wants to get off a ship and have beer on a beach?

who owns the transportation?
who drives those vehicles?

anybody going to work at this port?
any fees for disembarking?

I can think of a few but my head is old....

Trickle down comes to mind... or 'ripple effect'......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
don't ask me........... ask Carnival why they chose here.............

my paychecks from them have been bouncing lately.... they never spell my name right!!

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
We have gone on cruises to visit a lot of different places for a short time, and if some places catches your eye you might go back for a land vacation. The fact that ships will stop on the North Coast puts it back onto the travel pages as a destination stop. There is as much to do here as in other cruise ships stops on other islands. Even a small amount of economy generated is better than zero. People also complain about the big all-inclusive's keeping all the money on the resort, but tell me one place that will refuse the offer to get one built there. Some jobs are always created.

May 29, 2006
Can anyone sum up what laws have been imposed under the current mayor? I know about the window regulation and closing PC for traffic. Is there a curfew of any kind when the clubs have to close?

Status
Not open for further replies.