Ex pats are just as likely to let you down as any native!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
When some people in this forum will understand that there are not NATIVOS here. They were killed by The Spanish and by 1560 they were very few aborigines on the island. Thats why unlike other Latin countries, We do not have Mestixos.
Please show some respect and refer to the people who live in this country as Dominicans, locals, etc.

And what makes you judge and jury of what I can and can't use to describe people of this country, what is respectful and disrespectful. I suppose you object to me calling the country the Republic also, or the Dominican?
It doesn't matter what you feel and how pedantic you want to be, in context I use the term for people born and raised in the country, although if being completely picky it could be anyone who is not an immigrant.
Is it really disrespectful to call someone a native under the context I have used? I doubt it, a loose term, and I will continue to use it even if you do lose sleep over it, get over yourself buddy, not worth it!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When some people in this forum will understand that there are not NATIVOS here. They were killed by The Spanish and by 1560 they were very few aborigines on the island. Thats why unlike other Latin countries, We do not have Mestixos.
Please show some respect and refer to the people who live in this country as Dominicans, locals, etc.

Johnny, be a dear, and do some research. I. research the meaning of native. 2. Research the percentage of people in the DR that have Taino blood. Then come back and apologize for your behavior.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Johnny, be a dear, and do some research. I. research the meaning of native. 2. Research the percentage of people in the DR that have Taino blood. Then come back and apologize for your behavior.

Out of curiosity and not meaning to take the thread too far afield: can you point me to an unbiased article regarding the number of folks who may (or may not) have Taino blood (DNA)? I hear all sorts of opinions, but would like to see something with some science behind it.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You could take a walk around Jarabacoa, not scientific but quite noticeable in many, women especially!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Out of curiosity and not meaning to take the thread too far afield: can you point me to an unbiased article regarding the number of folks who may (or may not) have Taino blood (DNA)? I hear all sorts of opinions, but would like to see something with some science behind it.

There are a number of threads on DR1 if you do search. The numbers were higher in Puerto Rico, but I believe it was something like 16% of the people they tested had DND strands of native indian(taino).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What has this to do with rip offs?

The worst rip off merchants here are Lawyers. I have a friend who bought a property and used Fabiola Disla in Puerto Plata. She was given the title and other documents by the vendor, she was paid her fee plus taxes to do the transfer. Some months later, my friend asked what was happening and he was told the documents were in the "SYSTEM". When he pursued, he found the title and supporting documents have mysteriously disappeared and all he got was a forged contract dated 5 months later which was Notorised - on a SUNDAY - by Disla's friend and cohort Lawyer (female) Brugal. Neither my friend nor the vendor were in Puerto plata on that Sunday. In fact the vendor was back in the US. To date - my friend has no title and both Lawyers are still walking the streets.
Why did you have to post this twice?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think you usually have to name both sides involved if any dispute is going to be taken up on here, could be wrong but gives both sides equal opportunity.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

First, I am Dominican, and I know very well the history of my country. I studied in Loyola School, perhaps the best school in Santo Domingo for many years. and not to presume, but my high school record in History was 9.7
Most of the natives population was killed by the spaniards in the first century of colonization, and in 1518 the Tainos remaining were killed by diseases. because of this, the spaniards began to import thousands of african slaves to do the labor in the mines of gold and sugar cane. So, Dominicans are a mix of europeans and africans.
You are right, we have taino blood, as well an african and european blood. thats make us african or european? No
Second, If I have to apologize to someone. I would do it in a second.
But, do you think I have any reason to apologize to anyone that find any opportunity to denote the Dominicans and the country.
He can continue calling the Dominicans NATIVOS, or whatever he wants. I hope he never use those words in front of educated Dominicans, because it would be a shame.

Back to the OP, do you think the Dominicans who live in his barrio or the ones that lives in Sosua, Cabarete , boca chica or any touristic area represent the Dominican culture or behavior? those dominicans are less than 5% of the country population.
I have hundreds of friends and trust in almost all of them.
Dime con quien andas y te dire quien eres.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First, I am Dominican, and I know very well the history of my country. I studied in Loyola School, perhaps the best school in Santo Domingo for many years. and not to presume, but my high school record in History was 9.7

You are right, we have taino blood, as well an african and european blood. thats make us african or european? No
Second, If I have to apologize to someone. I would do it in a second.
But, do you think I have any reason to apologize to anyone that find any opportunity to denote the Dominicans and the country.
He can continue calling the Dominicans NATIVOS, or whatever he wants. I hope he never use those words in front of educated Dominicans, because it would be a shame.

Back to the OP, do you think the Dominicans who live in his barrio or the ones that lives in Sosua, Cabarete , boca chica or any touristic area represent the Dominican culture or behavior? those dominicans are less than 5% of the country population.
I have hundreds of friends and trust in almost all of them.
Dime con quien andas y te dire quien eres.
My wife being Dominican, and being well educated, would say that black, white, indio, chino or a mixture, a Dominican is a Dominican.
So with native have 20 or more different meanings, surly one or two are applicable to native born Dominicans.

Native Meaning and Definition
(n.) One who, or that which, is born in a place or country referred to; a denizen by birth; an animal, a fruit, or vegetable, produced in a certain region; as, a native of France.
(a.) Found in nature uncombined with other elements; as, native silver.
(a.) Original; constituting the original substance of anything; as, native dust.
(a.) Naturally related; cognate; connected (with).
(a.) Arising by birth; having an origin; born.
(a.) Conferred by birth; derived from origin; born with one; inherent; inborn; not acquired; as, native genius, cheerfulness, simplicity, rights, etc.
(a.) Born in the region in which one lives; as, a native inhabitant, race; grown or originating in the region where used or sold; not foreign or imported; as, native oysters, or strawberries.
(a.) Found in nature; not artificial; as native sodium chloride.
(n.) Any of the live stock found in a region, as distinguished from such as belong to pure and distinct imported breeds.
(a.) Of or pertaining to one's birth; natal; belonging to the place or the circumstances in which one is born; -- opposed to foreign; as, native land, language, color, etc.
(n.) One who, or that which, is born in a place or country referred to; a denizen by birth; an animal, a fruit, or vegetable, produced in a certain region; as, a native of France.
(a.) Of or pertaining to one's birth; natal; belonging to the place or the circumstances in which one is born; -- opposed to foreign; as, native land, language, color, etc.
(n.) Any of the live stock found in a region, as distinguished from such as belong to pure and distinct imported breeds.
(a.) Conferred by birth; derived from origin; born with one; inherent; inborn; not acquired; as, native genius, cheerfulness, simplicity, rights, etc.
(a.) Original; constituting the original substance of anything; as, native dust.
(a.) Born in the region in which one lives; as, a native inhabitant, race; grown or originating in the region where used or sold; not foreign or imported; as, native oysters, or strawberries.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Ophwa, can't even be bothered to nudge that chip from your shoulder, carry on in your depressing pedantic quest. There is no offense in being native to any country, only possibly in the context it is used in, these days unlikely. Stop reading wiki and learn to read people a little better.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
My wife being Dominican, and being well educated, would say that black, white, indio, chino or a mixture, a Dominican is a Dominican.
So with native have 20 or more different meanings, surly one or two are applicable to native born Dominicans.

Native Meaning and Definition

I know the meaning of Natives. it just that we dont use that word here to refer to local people. If you want to continue using it , go ahead. I have not problem.
I dont call a white american Red Neck just because he has a red neck. it has a another meaning that is not in your dictionanry.
The people who born in DR are native of DR, but when a foreign use that word to refer to a local, is an offense.
just like is an offense when a white guy call nigger to a black.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I know the meaning of Natives. it just that we dont use that word here to refer to local people. If you want to continue using it , go ahead. I have not problem.
I dont call a white american Red Neck just because he has a red neck. it has a another meaning that is not in your dictionanry.
The people who born in DR are native of DR, but when a foreign use that word to refer to a local, is an offense.

I thought you said you were educated, I see little evidence of that in your posts on this thread.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you think you can offend me. you are not.
For people like you I decided few months ago not to post again here.

Just saying what I see.

You have confused me. Firstly I have offended because I refer to people originating from the Dominican Republic as being native to the Dominican Republic.
Now I can not offend you. Which is it my friend, either I do or I don't.
I also have never used the N word in my life, and please do not insinuate I could be so offensive about my partner, my child and the nation I have lived in for so long.
You are misinformed, confused or just outright stupid (now that could be offensive).
You decided not to post here again and you can't even get that right, whatsup?
Continue to post my friend, you might learn something.

I shall leave this here, nuff said!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

You are entitled to your opinion, but I just asked by my wife, who is as Dominican as you, would it bother her if I called her a native. Her response : why would it, I'm a native Dominican. It is not offensive for me, a foreigner to call a Dominican a native. People where I come from are called Red Necks all the time, doesn't bother them in the least.
Back to the original- Trust is something earned, not given. I wouldn't trust either a local or a ex-pat. I used to be a naive country bumpkin, now I'm just a country bumpkin. Took me years of experience and being ripped off by relatives and longtime associate before I got that way. That doesn't mean I don't believe in giving somebody a helping hand, it just means I no longer lend money. Bank of Dad is still open though.

May 12, 2005
There are 2 types of ex-pats, those that are running away from something and those that are going to something. Stay away from the the ones who are the runners. You will be better off and happier for it.